Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amon duul ii

A plea for knowledge goes aloft!

Recently a few Amon Duul II LPs turned up at my local... I know that some of these are mildly desirable on account of BREAKZZZZ but they were priced a bit high to buy purely on that account. Couldn't be arsed skipping through entire side long cuts with lots of loud-soft alternation looking for breaks at the time either...

So for future reference, are any of their albums much cop? I seem to recollect some apalling vocals on one that I briefly listened too a long while back...

PS: I will be popping down my local rekkid warehouse today to check out a long-neglected copy of Aphrodite's Child "666" following recent discussion...

There are a few Amon Duuls I like, but then again I'm a big Krautrock fan (and murphys law will not allow me to find any CAN LP's ever). For funky breaks you need to check out HiJack, which has this one cut with open flanged 4/4 drums and then turns into something that sounds like dear prudence turned glam. Another pretty good Amon Duul break comes off of the album "Only Human". It features the Dusty Fingers track "Kismet". but therest of the album is shit. If you want great krautrock prog though check out every Amon Duul pre-hijack (1974) and you got it.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (the funky guzzo @ 23 May 2003,02:52)]There are a few Amon Duuls I like, but then again I'm a big Krautrock fan (and murphys law will not allow me to find any CAN LP's ever). For funky breaks you need to check out HiJack, which has this one cut with open flanged 4/4 drums and then turns into something that sounds like dear prudence turned glam. Another pretty good Amon Duul break comes off of the album "Only Human". It features the Dusty Fingers track "Kismet". but therest of the album is shit. If you want great krautrock prog though check out every Amon Duul pre-hijack (1974) and you got it.
      Cheers buddy... I will give a listen to any of that pre-'74 ish I come across.

Veering back to Aphrodite's Child... didn't like "666" that much, although the fact that the headphones on the store turntable were turned WAY up (and the amp's behind the counter) might've contributed to this... can't get too good an impression of an album while holding the headphones two inches away from your ears, eh?

Actually my tolerance for prog isn't that high although I get a kick out of stuff like Gong's "Flying Kettle" from time to time.

"Can't find any CAN LPs ever", eh? I can probably score you a couple of the ropey, unrecommended ones if you really want. Like the one with the spanner on the front.

Comment

the wire - yeah bruv, browse this

any more quinceys formigo?

and can I quickly add, GO THE BLUES!

rightO - 'scuse me, I'll just get me coat..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (rolex baxter @ 23 May 2003,05:21)]the wire - yeah bruv, browse this

any more quinceys formigo?

and can I quickly add, GO THE BLUES!

rightO - 'scuse me, I'll just get me coat..
          Cheers for the link bro...

No more Quincies yet I'm afraid, though I've heard a couple of tracks during NZ Music Month that confirm the later albums are worth hunting out... will have to have a proper dig for them in Wellington perhaps, might be a little bit more common.

Got some John Rowles heat (?&#33 though... not hard to find but I had previously assumed there was nothing worthwhile in his career. Back in the day, I could've wandered 'round the corner in Te Atatu and asked his mum "'Scuse me Mrs. Rowles, but has Johnnie got any bangin' breaks to your knowledge?"

"Just the one dear."

Anyway, just like Tom Jones, Rowlesy had a cheese-funk period that I shall commemorate in a future chart but not next month because I haven't found ten records worth mentioning recently...

PS: I ONLY WATCH LEAGUE MATE.

Comment

John Clarke aka Fred Dagg was telling my bro about how old Bruno Lawerence used to belt a mean pair of skins - might have to corner him and get some more goss from back in the day sometime!!

aotearoabreakbeatrare

Re: the Blues, I used to play with the captain at school

Comment

Working...
            X