Nightclubs That Play Our Music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nightclubs That Play Our Music

i should imagine i'm not alone when i say "ive not been to a night club for years" (unless in a DJ capacity)
    and on recent jaunts around the country with my lady-wife NIGHTCLUBS THAT PLAY OUR MUSIC are becoming hard to find.

i remember a time when you could flick thru THE GUARDIAN GUIDE and STRAIGHT NO CHASER and find dozens of 2/3/400 capasity clubnights which cater for FANS OF 'jazz-funk-soundtracks-mod-dancefloorpsychystuff-brazillian-afrorock' IE. OLD MUSIC
    but i'm begining to think that obscure music from the 60s/70s 'is just not cool anymore'... as a teacher of students aged 19-24(ish) i rarely find anyone who digs OUR MUSIC (even at a kitsch level - not even an afro wig in site 'thank god') and the generation gap explains why many of them are obsessed with PUNK and 'THE 80's'...
    as a DJ (representing a 'contemporary' record label) i set out my stall playing (the indiscribible) 60's trash that i love, but ive recently given promoters the option of an 'old school hip hop set'.... 7 out of ten times they asked for hiphop (jurassic five have done a lot for rekindling a hiphop interest amongst student types)

i do, however, know that the clubs are still out there.
    and about twice a year i'll stumble across a rip-roaring psych-out, sadly, not often in this country.

i should imagine i'm not alone when i say...
    I STILL FANCY A DANCE and I STILL WANT TO PLAY 'JAMES BROWN' NEXT TO 'THE HEADCOATEES'. instead of competing/enduring the MADCHESTER DJ who went on before -OR- being asked for/trying to tap my foot to ELECTROCLASH at an oversubscribed superclub.
    is this why we set up our own bar-nights (catering to GENUINE 30-something enhusiasts that havent got the energy to dance and like their music and coffee at a respectible heat)

SO... where are the dirty little clubs that we grew-up/spewed-up on?

if any one gives a shit... it would be great to create a map (in thread form) of the country and its half decent fuzzy-funk nights...????????????????????????

HAVE FUZZ - WILL TRAVEL
    Last edited by DOKO*ENO; 04-01-2005, 01:39 PM. Reason: ASK SERMAD
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

Well, I'd put a plug in here for Southampton's own Soul Cellar - several board members have played there from recollection - on the occasions that I've visited it has be a top night out.

Good to see a non-corporate spot like this surviving in the provinces.
    Last edited by Matt Hero; 04-01-2005, 01:18 PM.
    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by DOKO*ENO
      ... as a teacher of students aged 19-24(ish) i rarely find anyone who digs OUR MUSIC (even at a kitsch level - not even an afro wig in site 'thank god')
      The idea of tossers in afro wigs thinking it's ironic and kitsch or whatever is a stomach-turner. I'd be sat there throwing chalkboard rubbers at them at regular intervals. I suppose my worst nightmare would be stuck in a university '70s nite' somewhere. Not nice at all.

Comment

Andrew Divine does several top club nights.

Modern Lovers (1st Friday of every month @ Ego in Edinburgh) plays top notch Northern / Mod / Funk / Psych / OST & weirdness - good guests too including Mr Votel himself on occasion.

Divine @ the Art School on Saturdays in Glasgow - have to admit I've only been once and was shockingly inebriated before I arrived but what I remember was ace.

He also does the funk rooms but I've not been to that one. I suspect they play funk

Also in EH we got the Go Go which plays more Mod / Freakbeat / psych / Jerk etc and the Egg at the Wee Red which plays all sorts of stuff although the last time I was there (quite drunk - again) they seemed to be having a bit of a jangle-indie-fest!

Finally Headspin is a great club (monthly Saturdays - see press for details) - predominately Hip Hop but you get to hear all manner of nonsense thrown in and mixed to perfection - bit of a cheeky one this 'cos I play the backroom on occasion
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

If your ever in Plymouth on a Wednesday a trip to Jelly Jazz at the Quay Club is essential.
          The night is about 10 years deep now and still packing then in.

Several of the board members here have played and I’m sure can vouch for what a top night it is.
          Musically anything funky goes.

Other than that in Plymouth everything’s dead.
          I used to play out (and promote) 4 times a week but the nights have dried up leaving us nothing (apart from the amazing Jelly Jazz).

Comment

Im sorry for killing andys post. Bugger.

Anyway. What I was trying to say was that I think col or cheebs would know of any freakbeat rooms going on at ahem mod events.

As awful as it sounds but does blow up still play the beaty stuff or is it all kula shaker.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

bosh I hope you must have had the page open somewhere else then. phew.

And I think a proper full on blot dropping night would go down a storm in london. Maybe somewhere like the ICA or notting hill arts club would be interested although I want less beard stroking and more beard pulling if you get my drift!

I remember in tokyo my mate took me to this mod club. There were about 10 gleaming vespas all chromed up to the maxx outside. Everyone inside was in vintage clothes. Hot girls in knee high boots and miniskirts - It was so swinging I nearly did something naughty in my pants it was that good. They had about 3 full on floppy hat prog cover bands on. Totally bezerk and one of the best nights Ive ever been too!
              Last edited by sermad; 04-01-2005, 02:09 PM.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                As awful as it sounds but does blow up still play the beaty stuff or is it all kula shaker.
                think i went to Blow Up two or three times in the past year, a friend knows one of the DJs. Ian i think, but i can't remember which way round their names are. anyway, the one they know plays decent 45s still, but the other plays all sorts of indie horrors and far too much obvious stuff (and often from CDs! where's the handbag icon?)

having read the original post now, can amend that and say the good stuff is soul mostly. didn't hear any decent psyche or whatever from the other guy...
                Last edited by bongolia; 04-01-2005, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Parkz
                  If your ever in Plymouth on a Wednesday a trip to Jelly Jazz at the Quay Club is essential.
                  The night is about 10 years deep now and still packing then in.

Several of the board members here have played and I’m sure can vouch for what a top night it is.
                  Musically anything funky goes.

Other than that in Plymouth everything’s dead.
                  I used to play out (and promote) 4 times a week but the nights have dried up leaving us nothing (apart from the amazing Jelly Jazz).
                  Jelly Jazz is cool, but doesn't play the type of music that Doko is on about. Not unless things have changed since the last time I played there. And Pete seems to be veering more and more to playing newer beats, judging from his chart.

I get away with playing the odd freaky beat thing around my way, but the nights are really funk dominated - not that I want them to be!
                  Last edited by Belson; 04-01-2005, 01:58 PM.

Comment

with the night i was running in m.cr up until last summer i incorporated a lot of vulture type stuff along with new stuff. went down really really well with the crowd (mixed ages), and the fact that the venue manager gave me carte blanche to play whatever i liked helped a lot.

unfortunately said manager decided to move back to his native france for some bizarre reason and the new manager hated anything that wasn't hard house, so that was the end of that one..

but, as i said, there was some support for it, it's just finding the right (open minded) venue. and no i haven't found another yet, otherwise i'd be doing it!

Comment

if you didn't mind the flight and a very small to non-existant fee i'm sure there's places that would have you over here in helsinki (-at least our night when it's up and running next month..)

i (along with mokka, seamus and one or two others that lurk here) used to play at a really nice 4-500 capacity venue that had a willing crowd and very open music policy. sadly it's just been bought by an idiot now so the good nights have finished :_(

i'm suprised there's no good nights in mcr though, surely one of the bars around the northern quarter would be up for it? or do you mean bigger venues with dancing crowds?

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                        Im sorry for killing andys post. Bugger.
                        Anyway. What I was trying to say was that I think col or cheebs would know of any freakbeat rooms going on at ahem mod events.
                        there really is shit-loads of clubs out there playing "dancefloorpsychystuff" problem is you generally have to dress up like a tit before you're allowed to gain entry. Not that I'm against dressing up like a tit. Used to do it all the time. But not anymore. I think. The most enjoyable London events for the real heavy stuff is the "Mousetrap" allnighters & the quarterly "Crossfire" allnighter which is great. Dunno if the Nice Club is still going but that was real heavy grooves - almost acid biker territory. "Fab!" is freakbeat/psych/organ/livebandaction. "Dirty Water" is more garage-punk but can have good euro-nights depending on what bands are playing. Dunno if "Hipsters" are still going too - they mix up funky psychrock with soul & funk. more up to date info would be somewhere amongst www.newuntouchables.com

My main man in Brighton started ROCKHUNTER in Brighton last Summer. That club is truly the nuts. It's at The Hobgoblin and all should go.

My main man in Belfast is Sarge. That nut is off his clubs and puts on loads of leftfield 6Ts nights in NI - probably on a weekly basis. He the daddy.

Leeds has a mental night called Facsimile Factory - been a while since I went there so dunno if it's still going. Music was top notch at this one.

Ipswich has "Sonic Flower". Norwich has "Gas Station", "Marvel" (these 2 mainly funk but a fair splat of library/euro depending on DJs), the reanimated "Hush!" is totally dancefloorpsychystuff and a new night/alldayer campaign entitled "Rotation" is set to take about 12 people by storm.
                        new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                          loads of clubs out there playing "dancefloorpsychystuff" problem is you generally have to dress up like a tit before you're allowed to gain entry.
                          That's what's put me off checking out Crossfire. I'm sure I'd love it, and the dressing up would be part of the fun but I'd feel like a Charlatan.

I guess the Right On! events fit on this list too. Although there's not so much fuzzy stuff on the playlists...
                          Last edited by Rich Hero; 04-01-2005, 05:29 PM.
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
                            That's what's put me off checking out Crossfire. I'm sure I'd love it, and the dressing up would be part of the fun but I'd feel like a Charlatan.
                            I guess the Right On! events fit on this list too. Although there's not so much fuzzy stuff on the playlists...
                            Right On is verry 'moddy' - won't be getting the psych etc there - standard R&B/Soul/ska really. Nick Rossi Set are bloody good mind.

Rich, don a pair of levi cords & a plain Tshirt and you'll slip into most of these 6Ts clubs just fine - that's what I do these days
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Originally posted by Col Wolfe
                              Rich, don a pair of levi cords & a plain Tshirt and you'll slip into most of these 6Ts clubs just fine - that's what I do these days
                              Right, maybe it's time to take the plunge then.
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X