• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What i did on my holidays (sort of)

wednesday

road trip with my mate roger the record dealer

9 am start from bristol, straight up the M5 to 'Great' Malvern

'antiques' shop with a few massively over-priced elvis and eddie cochran lps:

some funk 45s for 30 p each:

willy wiley 'push and shove'
    greedy band 'slam dunk'
    timmy thomas 'people are changin'
    rice and beans orchestra 'coconut groove'
    rice and beans orchestra 'blue danube hustle'
    smoggs '...talk with the peanut man'
    donny gerrard 'stay a while with me'

spent 15 minutes 'out the back' in a charity shop, looking at the records that weren't out yet, found two slightly interesting bits among the dross, then got told 'no, we can't sell you those until they've been priced up, after all, they could be special and you might be trying to steal from us'. thanks, sweet old ladies...

Ledbury
    more flags of st.george and union jacks per yard than any other town I've been to. Got nothing except strange looks from hunting-shooting rich farmer types.
    Saw a rough copy of 'please please me' by the beatles in a charity shop for £75....£75!!! I'll leave that one, thanks.

Hereford

charity shops:
    roger coulam 'hammond sounds to spoil you' (contour)
    some crappy '73 steel band lp on ashanti that looked better than it was

shitty second-hand record store where anything in the record collector book (which was sitting on the counter) was priced right up:

luiz bonfa 'jacaranda' (brazilian og copy, amazing funky lp with idris muhammad, stanley clarke, ray barretto, airto ...not in 'the book', so...£3.)

Ross-on-Wye
    looked at rough copy of 'with the beatles' for £30 in a charity shop..hmmm. no.

Monmouth

chuck wood 'I've got my lovelight shining' (Big T 45)
    (Roger pulled a stack of Bluebeat 45's from the same pile&#33
    pioneers 'pusher man' lp
    mandy rice-davis e.p. (ember) - dreadful musically but apparently worth £40.

wednesday total...£8.50

thursday

postman brings:

v/a 'how pink is that elephant over there?' (pink elephant)
    dutch label comp. w/ray barretto, shocking blue...plus the long version of 'voodoo ju ju obsession' by spirit of voodoo - davy jones and nilovic.

rupert and the rolling coins 'at the sonesta beach hotel and golf club'
    island lp with one heavy funk track.

'beat goes on' records, bristol, £3 each:

dillinger 'cb 200' (well charge 45 - jamaican og)
    dillinger 'donkey' (count shelley 45)
    original africans 'sting me' (president 45) - imagine a rocksteady instrumental cover version of 'you really got me', with a heavy drum break at the start

trip with roger to view a collection. guy (in his mid-50's) was selling his collection as he was moving, and had mostly shifted to cd anyway. 'mostly jazz' he told roger. what he didn't say was that
    a) he was keeping the best stuff - uk jazz, impulse, blue note...
    b) two dealers had been through the collection already.

ho hum. still (£2 each):

robin kenyatta 'gypsy man'
    gerald wilson orchestra 'golden sword'
    merl saunders 'fire up'
    tony scott 'music for yoga meditation'
    stan getz 'mickey one'
    bud shank 'magical mystery'
    meredith monk 'dolmen music'
    barry goldberg 'street man'
    julie felix 'flowers'
    julie felix 'changes'
    julie felix 'clotho's web'
    400 blows 'groove jumping'
    rip rig and panic 'god'
    rip rig and panic 'attitude'
    pearls before swine 'city of gold'
    various 'super rock festival' double lp (can, jane, kraftwerk, kraan, birth control...)
    various 'authentic chicago blues' (on the uk windmill label, anything but...includes jackie edwards 'the vamp' amongst others..)
    x-ray spex 'germ-free adolescence'

and the only one that isn't near mint, but the best out of the bunch :

karen dalton 'it's so hard to tell who's going to love you the best'...amazing folk/psych/blues singer - I think this is her only lp?
    We know when a mate buys it for you too.

What is it with charity shops, 'the book' & a total disregard for condition? I've seem many a Fairport LP in beat condition priced at £19.99 in the local Oxfam, but a knackered Beatles at £75.00 must be a record for priciest Charity Shop Lp! The highest I've seen previously was a copy of 'Beggars Banquet' for £35.00 - not in great nick, but not (for a change) totally buggered either... Oh well, "a little knowledge" and all that, I suppose...

& is Karen Dalton the same as the one who appeared on the Nick Cave 'influences' comp (whose title I don't remember) doing a really amazing song called 'Katie Cruel'? Amazing voice!
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

nope. I saw a *mint* white album for £200 in an oxfam last year.

When I mean mint btw...I mean it looked like a dog had its dinner off it...
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ 23 May 2003,15:24)]nope. I saw a *mint* white album for £200 in an oxfam last year.
        So safe to say that most, if not all, charity shop workers are volunteers and haven&#39;t got the faintest idea what to price what.

Heavens forbid what they&#39;ll charge if they get an Arthur Monday, Larry Ellis or David Robinson land on their doorstep. I&#39;ll take pity on them, and pay the full going price for them instead of the 50p price on the sticker, eh&#33;?

Well, you wouldn&#39;t want to take advantage of them now, would you?

Comment

Well, I think that&#39;s kind of the irony: chances are an Arthur Monday would be in the 50p box... The point, I think, is that the records just don&#39;t sell at those prices, so the shop&#39;s turnover drops to virtually nothing, and neither charity nor customer gains from the trend...

I&#39;m all for charity shops getting what things are worth, but the point is that as long as the shops sell cheaply, and keep their stock turning over, and customers GET things cheaply (and so keep going back) everybody wins. Once charity shops start trying to compete with dealers, my observation is that stock stagnates, and less people buy...

The same is true at booters: people asking £3 for average LPs, or pricing video boxsets at the same £15 or £20 they&#39;d cost new, does neither buyer nor seller any favours... I reckon that those of us who patronise the charities pay our surcharges on the good stuff we find in all the 50ps and 99ps that go on stuff that goes right back again&#33;

Not knocking &#39;chairidee, mate&#39;, just making an observation on a trend that (as a onetime shop manager) does nobody any favours, is all...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (wayne @ 23 May 2003,16:51)]Well, I think that&#39;s kind of the irony: chances are an Arthur Monday would be in the 50p box...
            It&#39;s more unfortunate than ironic to be honest..... but lets face it, I&#39;m sure we&#39;ve all passed over records of various levels on rareness in our ignorance, and a charity shop would have *no* chance on those kind of relative obscurities.

I totally agree on the pricing mentioned above in that it is unrealistic, generally above market value (always priced as mint regardless of condition) and does the shop no favours. That certainly wasn&#39;t the policy of the charity shop where I used to do pricing (2/3 of mint book value for a mint item - everybody wins &#33.

I do get pissed at the boot sales with the occasional &#39;flyer&#39; of a price, and it is never on the nice items. It is always seems to be something like a pretty common soundtrack in VG condition that the seller *swears* is super rare that you were only buying because the pickings had been small.
            Matt Hero

Comment

i&#39;ll have the steel band album if you don&#39;t want it john, in fact if anyone&#39;s got any other steel band albums i wouldn&#39;t mind them as well, i&#39;ve got an &#39;average&#39; condition sgt peppers if you want it? and i&#39;m not asking £75 for it neither, a trade will do nicely.
              I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Got a few Steel Band records that I&#39;m not entirely sold on.... you want a list ?
                Matt Hero

Comment

too right matt, i&#39;m very partial to the old steel bands, what are you looking for in return?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 23 May 2003,19:42)]too right matt, i&#39;m very partial to the old steel bands, what are you looking for in return?
                    Well, lets wait and see what I&#39;ve got first &#33; Should post up a little list sometime over the weekend.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 23 May 2003,19:24)]i&#39;ll have the steel band album if you don&#39;t want it john
                      let me give it one listen over the weekend first sir...
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Mr Monster - I have a few steel band lps surplus to requirements too - interested?

These ones to hand:

Various - Halcyon Highlights (direct from the Halcyon hotel in St. Lucia&#33
                        Lord Busta &amp; the Caribbean Royals - S/T (Pye)
                        Pan Vibes Steel Orchestra - Classics to Kaiso (pan Vibes)

and I&#39;ve deffo got a few more tucked away.
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

i&#39;ll take those LDJB, and anymore you can find, what sort of stuff are you after at the moment? (for trading)

Comment

Mr Monster,

Steel Band LPs for trade as promised.....

The Esso Steel Band - Quiet Steel (Beacon)
                            Hurricane Force Steel Band - Tropical Paradise (SRT)
                            Heineken Pan Vibes - Carnival With Steel (Kalinda)
                            Pan Am Jet North Stars Steelband - From Trinidad (RCA)
                            [lovely die cut gatefold sleeve with pictures]
                            Pan Am Steel Band - S/T (Chapter 1)
                            [&#39;As featured on BBC TV&#39;s Blue Peter&#39; according to the sleeve &#33;]

Let me know if any of those are of interest...
                            Matt Hero

Comment

nice one matt, i&#39;ll check out my steel band box tonight and let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X