Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starsky and Hutch

Happy new year, board cohorts.

I've been watching "Starsky & Hutch" first season on DVD. Best TV show ever.

Also: the music is stupid fresh. I don't know about later seasons, but it seems it was all done by Lalo Schifrin. The theme's so-so (the more well-known theme that's on the Reader's Digest box set and everywhere else wasn't used in season 1) - but the incidental music is on some protein-shake-a-day strength.

A lot of it sounds like the Dirty Harry OST (largely because Lalo wasn't stretching himself to come up with anything new I suspect - parts also sound like "Enter the Dragon" at times).

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but was any of this stuff ever released?

As far as I know it has never been released, I really like the Lalo stuff on that series as well, there's an episode that was originally banned on UK screens where Hutch gets hooked on heroine I think, the ending of that episode definately has some Dirty Harry music in there.
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
      As far as I know it has never been released, I really like the Lalo stuff on that series as well, there's an episode that was originally banned on UK screens where Hutch gets hooked on heroine I think, the ending of that episode definately has some Dirty Harry music in there.
      Yeah, I just watched that one recently.
      I guess the depiction of heroine addiction was just too, too real.

Or maybe it was the scenes of Starsky cuddling and comforting Hutch while he was strung out that got it banned. Crazy olden days people morality.

I'm pretty sure a man could lift some tough, open breaks of the DVD if he felt so disposed. (Maybe with a little traffic noise).

Comment

schifrin did the pilot show theme (used for 1st series) and much incidental music. some other name composers did work on starsky and hutch too. nope, never officially came out - at least with schifrin's work, there's an outside chance it may come out on his own label.

don't think Tom Scott's TV series version ever came out officially either (there's a rubbish version on one of his LPs). best version seems to be JTQ's.
        Last edited by theeman; 10-01-2005, 12:12 PM.
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
          don't think Tom Scott's TV series version ever came out officially either (there's a rubbish version on one of his LPs). best version seems to be JTQ's.
          Yeah I've seen a 45 of it, on the Epic label, but I don't know whether it was an issue or promo copy.

I'm assuming it was a release cos the label was orange Epic.

Comment

I've got the record Greg's talking about. I'll check if its promo or not.

Comment

there's a french 45 picture sleeve of the theme..... (but don't buy it it's awfull french dumb lyrics cheesy music)

Comment

Originally posted by Belson
                Yeah I've seen a 45 of it, on the Epic label, but I don't know whether it was an issue or promo copy.

I'm assuming it was a release cos the label was orange Epic.
                There was something funny going on at Epic around this time. Certain issues only seem to have been pressed in very tiny quantities. No idea whether that's the case with this one though.
                Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1
                  I've got the record Greg's talking about. I'll check if its promo or not.
                  it's not 'Gotcha - theme from Starksy & Hutch' from his 'Blow it out' LP is it? bloody awful version.

should have been more clear - i meant that the real for-TV original version probably didn't get issued, unless anyone knows better?
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

should have been more clear - i meant that the real for-TV original version probably didn't get issued, unless anyone knows better?

Yep - that's what I meant too.

Comment

schifrin did the pilot show theme (used for 1st series) and much incidental music. some other name composers did work on starsky and hutch too. nope, never officially came out - at least with schifrin's work, there's an outside chance it may come out on his own label.

Hmmm, what's Schifrin's label called, I'll drop him an email and tell him what the time is. He's probably thinking "man, that stuff sucks, I was just ripping off my own movie soundtracks". But I'll let him know what's really happening.

It makes sense that there's a few composers involved now that you mentioned it, most of the music when they're driving around and stuff definitely sounds like Schifrin. However stuff like the background music in Huggy Bear's bar sounds pretty different (but also awesome).

Man, the only way that TV show could've been improved is if Huggy Bear was played by Bill Cosby. That would've been too much.

Comment

http://www.alephrecords.com/
                        Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by formigo
                          Hmmm, what's Schifrin's label called, I'll drop him an email and tell him what the time is. He's probably thinking "man, that stuff sucks, I was just ripping off my own movie soundtracks". But I'll let him know what's really happening.
                          The couple of interviews I've read with Mr Schifrin suggest that he has a very high opinion of his own work, so perhaps if he thought there was a market for his Starsky and Hutch stuff he'd think about putting it out? Frankly, I'd be delighted if he did!
                          The Pop Music Library

Comment

Last Summer my girl and i spent our vacation in Barca...

Just got back to the Hotel after dinner some night ,zapping 'round the few spanish TV stations we had - not understand shit - I was just blown away. . Starsky & Hutch in Spanish!!!
                            Shit is hillarious

It's on there EVERY night. The few episodes I watched there had real sick underscores (I'm a bigtime Lalo fan). Was planning on copping the first season dvd most y'all prob. have. Is it worth it?
                            ..Your sporadic midnight poster..

Comment

Originally posted by formigo
                              Happy new year, board cohorts.

I've been watching "Starsky & Hutch" first season on DVD. Best TV show ever.

Also: the music is stupid fresh. I don't know about later seasons, but it seems it was all done by Lalo Schifrin. The theme's so-so (the more well-known theme that's on the Reader's Digest box set and everywhere else wasn't used in season 1) - but the incidental music is on some protein-shake-a-day strength.

A lot of it sounds like the Dirty Harry OST (largely because Lalo wasn't stretching himself to come up with anything new I suspect - parts also sound like "Enter the Dragon" at times).

I'm guessing the answer is "no", but was any of this stuff ever released?

Hi,

Last year I downloaded from Soulseek a compilation called "Starsky & Hutch season 01". I tried to find info about it on internet and found nothing; maybe it was recorded directly from the dvd. Anyway, it's a nice listening.

Here's the track list:
                              01. Main Theme - Lalo Schifrin
                              02. Zebra Three - Lalo Schifrin
                              03. Coffin for Starsky - Lalo Schifrin
                              04. Lap Dance Club - Lalo Schifrin
                              05. Running - Lalo Schifrin
                              06. Silence - Lalo Schifrin
                              07. Rooftop Chase - Lalo Schifrin
                              08. Hugg in the Pits - Lalo Schifrin
                              09. The Convicts - Lalo Schifrin
                              10. Sore loser, Car Chase - Jack Elliott
                              11. Prelude - Lalo Schifrin