Woody herman & the herd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woody herman & the herd

picked up his jazz hoot lp at a booter the other day, great track on it called sidewinder, anyone know of any other good woody albums?
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

I absolutely cannot believe how many hot soul jazz (and funk) records this guy cut... I've started to just pick up anything from the late 60s on.

His Cadet output is the most incredible. This is mining the same territory as the other Richard Evans productions of the era.

But he's got choice cuts on Columbia and Fantasy too. The Columbia stuff is transitional, from his early swing-big band stuff to pop, so it doesn't do it for me like the later stuff. The Fantasy records are really incredible smoothed out soul jazz and uptempo funk.

Just the other day I picked up a live one on Fantasy with a cover of Billy Cobham's "Crosswinds" among others...

Comment

thanks for the info digdug, also i forgot to mention the awesome version of watermelon man on jazz hoot.

Comment

I have three of Herman's LPs and am happy with all of them. They're all his Cadet stuff. The three are: Heavy Exposure, Light My Fire and The Raven Speaks. Here's a review of one of them.

WOODY HERMAN
        Heavy Exposure (Cadet 69)
        Woody Herman was a long time big band Jazz leader. I thought he only had two good records (Light My Fire and Raven Speaks), but I came across this record that proved me wrong. Flying Easy starts off with a nice Brazilian influenced percussion break before it goes into an Easy Listening type song. A cover of I CanÂ’t Get Next To You has some nice conga work by Richard Powell and Marshall Thompson. Lancaster Gate has a Cop Show feel to it, and Herman does a nice treatment of ItÂ’s Your Thing, always a favorite. The rock & funk mix of The Hut that has several nice breakdowns, is by far the best song, sure to get your head bobbing to its beat.
        http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

CBS put out a live set called 'Woody's Winners' in 1966, & it's a pretty hot mid-60s jazz album featuring Dusko Goykovitch. The standout track is '23 Red', but the rest is pretty solid stuff - 'Northwest Passage', 'Opus de Funk' etc - and while it's more on the big band jazz tip than the Cadet stuff, I'd guess (I don't know the Cadet stuff myself) it's definitely worth a punt if you find one...
          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

thanks motown67 & wayne i'll look out for those.

Comment

also check the Thunderin' Herd LP from the early 70s with a photo of the band on an American football field, i forget the title - got a great cover of Corazon, big band latin funk, nice.
              http://www.blaxploitation.com
              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

I picked up a 2LP set in the Chess Jazz Masters Series years ago called 'Double Exposure' - It comps together tracks from his 'Light My Fire', 'Double Exposure' and 'Woody' LP's, and jolly good it is too... might be worth looking out for as an introduction to Woody and his big band funk action ...

R'Funk
                FunkyDown
                Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

hope the following helps:

heavy exposure: 1969 cadet #836
                  flying easy
                  i can't get next to you
                  aquarius
                  memphis underground
                  high school hero
                  lancaster gate
                  the hut
                  my cheri amour
                  it's your thing
                  catch that bird
                  sex machine

with dony hathaway on keys. and morris jennings on drums for half the tracks. not a great one, but worth picking up (max £10). richard evans arrangements and production.

the raven speaks: 1972 fantasy #9416
                  fat mama
                  alone again (naturally)
                  sandia chicano
                  it's too late
                  the raven speaks
                  summer of '42
                  reunion at newport
                  bill's blues

herbie cover is really the only reason for picking this up, other than the slightly evil photo of woody on the back of the sleeve. and the slightly obscure, but lovely harold danko on keys. and three flugelhorns (inc. charles davis).

engineered and recorded by the mighty phil ramone.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (happy monster @ 23 May 2003,21:11)]great track on it called sidewinder...
                    and if you want sidewinder versions, check the ray charles one on tangerine, and the kai winding one on verve.

not forgetting mister morgan's OG.

Comment

...and also Herbie Mann w. Tamiko Jones for another great vocal version...

plus there's a ska version that's not called Sidewinder but just is exactly that - (Lester Sterling ?)

...anyone know of a latin version? There MUST be one out there...

Comment

My good friend from Belgium included a Woody track called 'Mambo Herd' on his last mix cd and a right belter it is too.

Sounds like a 50's recording and the timbales and bongos are going bananas throughout it's duration.

Anyone know this one?

I'm listening to it now and it reminds me of the type of thing played in the old Jazz Room at Southport.
                        He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

cheers for the info guys, i'll look out for those.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ 27 May 2003,10:55)]My good friend from Belgium included a Woody track called 'Mambo Herd' on his last mix cd and a right belter it is too.

Sounds like a 50's recording and the timbales and bongos are going bananas throughout it's duration.

Anyone know this one?

I'm listening to it now and it reminds me of the type of thing played in the old Jazz Room at Southport.
                            "Mambo Herd" is on an LP called "Herman's Heat, Puente's Beat". On World Record Club (early 60s?). The percussion is Tito Puente / Ray Baretto.
                            Endless Tripe

Comment

it's from 1958 - the World Record Club is the reissue (that's a reissue label)

careful if looking for the 'Thundering Herd' album on Fantasy, since there's seems to be loads of albums which only say 'Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd' with no other title

Comment

Working...
                              X