60's garage rock / pop psych..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60's garage rock / pop psych..

i've been listening to my copy of the s/t lp by wool a lot lately- can't get enough of 'comination of the two', 'love, love, love, love, love' etc.. their "witch" 7" promo (is it rare?) and a 7" by ed wool and the nomads are hopefully winging their way to me as we speak, but is there any more non lp material that i should keep my eyes out for?

and i quite like the cover of 'love, love...' by the nite people that divine used on his easter cd too (is this an a or b-side?).. can anyone recommend any other groups/tracks similar to these? the rawer the better!

my knowledge is practically non-existant, but i do know/ have some of the creation, mark four, the smoke etc.. (a few of the vv mix cds are proving great resources for this, but i thought i'd ask anyway..)

thanks

Maybe start with going for stuff on bigger labels I think. Because a lot of the good (UK especially) funky rawer stuff is sadly the stuff the big scarey beardy collectors want!

Maybe check some of the rubble comps if you want to get into uk freakbeat sounds. Cannot recommend them enough.

Stuff you might want to check out. They are intune with what I think Wool is rather than 60's garage rock (if that makes any sense).

1910 fruitgum co
    US69
    Sweet Smoke
    Power of Zeus
    Rare Earth
    Last edited by sermad; 18-01-2005, 11:44 AM.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by hayes
      i've been listening to my copy of the s/t lp by wool a lot lately- can't get enough of 'comination of the two', 'love, love, love, love, love' etc.. their "witch" 7" promo (is it rare?) and a 7" by ed wool and the nomads are hopefully winging their way to me as we speak, but is there any more non lp material that i should keep my eyes out for?

and i quite like the cover of 'love, love...' by the nite people that divine used on his easter cd too (is this an a or b-side?).. can anyone recommend any other groups/tracks similar to these? the rawer the better!

my knowledge is practically non-existant, but i do know/ have some of the creation, mark four, the smoke etc.. (a few of the vv mix cds are proving great resources for this, but i thought i'd ask anyway..)

thanks
      The 'Witch' isn't especially rare as far as I know, but it is a nice version. And that 45 by the Nomads (is it the one with the cover of 'Please, Please, Please' that you're getting?) is a little different to the sound of the LP. I don't know of any more non-LP stuff by them... As for the Nite People I *think* 'Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love' is the A - 'Hot Smoke And Sassafras' is the flip.

There's plenty more people on here more knowledgeable than myself but, if it really is rawness that you're after, I'd recommend The Sonics. Also try Shocking Blue.
      Last edited by Rich Hero; 18-01-2005, 11:46 AM.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
        Maybe start with going for stuff on bigger labels I think. Because a lot of the good (UK especially) funky rawer stuff is sadly the stuff the big scarey beardy collectors want!
        Hehehe - indeed!

You could check out the second half of the Far Side show that I did for Bill Brewster on MOS Radio.

Wednesday 12th January

http://www.ministryofsound.com/Radio...ill%20Brewster

Comment

thanks both..

i have bit of rare earth stuff- and i've been kicking myself for never picking up the many different 7's (by other groups on the rare earth label) i used to see around berlin flea markets for pence. i've been meaning to check out power of zeus for a while too.. is the lp any good, or just over hyped for a break? and is the re-ish better quality than the original?

i kind of realised it would be difficult to track down the smaller groups, but if anyone knows any gems easliy available... i'm quite partial to the b-side of amen corner's hit 'bend me, shape me'- 'satisnak the jobs worth', for instance
          Last edited by the old hayes; 18-01-2005, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Power of zeus is a really really really good record. I personally think the break is a pretty weak one at that. I love the record full stop.

Comment

and teh nomads 7" is the RCA 8940 white label promo 'I Need Somebody'/'Please Please Don't Go'..

and i'll be checking that radio show when mr stapleton's cd has finished

Comment

COMPILATION
                this comp is a prime introduction for such musical flavours - most of the tracks have been well flogged out on the mod/6Ts scene/clubs but they're all goodies aimed directly at the dancefloor. There's a vinyl version knocking about too. Horrible cheesy cover though!
                new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

re: zeus, i'll bump it up my priorites list a bit

are there any good resource websites for this stuff, particularly the smaller acts that wont get covered by amg?
                  Last edited by the old hayes; 18-01-2005, 01:06 PM.

Comment

just search the archives for funky rock. Or those band names. Most have discussed often!

From memory belsons mix was lovely psych - col's mix was packed full of freakbeat gems - johns mix was 100% fire and my mix was full of mentalist rocky funk too.
                    Last edited by sermad; 18-01-2005, 12:16 PM.

Comment

re: col wolfe.. that comp does look like a good intro, i'll see if i can spot the vinyl anywhere..

and it is indeed john's, belson's, sermad's and col wolfe's mixes (and a few other bits and pieces here and there) that kick started my interest again..

now i must get on with some work- this shop wont run itself, sadly..

Comment

I have not hear the Love Love track by the Night People, But their Hammond Instro Version of Summertime Blues is fantastic.

http://www.kindakinky.co.uk/SoundCli...time_blues.mp3
                        My Mixcloud

Comment

thanks

I should get a mix together soon and i'll wing ya one it should be all that kinda noise. i've a couple other versions of love love and combination is a janis jop track... its well smokin too. theres blur flipside would you believe called french song which is nearly a cover of combination as well, very trashy....nice.

S
                          MODZ
                          Hero No.9
                          Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                          THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                            Power of zeus is a really really really good record. I personally think the break is a pretty weak one at that. I love the record full stop.
                            With respect to Sermad, I think that Power Of Zeus sound a little different to the other sounds discussed hear. It's like comparing Soundgarden to Mudhoney - both grungey but one's heavy rock while the other's garage. 'The Gospel According To Zeus' is heavy rock, in my opinion. Nevertheless, it's a great LP. With a great break (for the reason that it's hard as hell as and prime for chopping, not because it's funky drumming).
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

and teh nomads 7" is the RCA 8940 white label promo 'I Need Somebody'/'Please Please Don't Go'...
                              That's the badger!

Comment

Working...
                              X