Reckless - Berwick Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reckless - Berwick Street

Just a heads up that Reckless on Berwick Street have acquired a load of singles from the BBC library and they are all 99p each. Not sure how long they've been there but I managed to pick up a few interesting bits. They've got quite a few French and Spanish singles in pic sleeves that I didn't recognise, might be some goodies there? Check them out.

Anyway I bought:

Jose Feliciano - Hard Times at El barrio / Chico and the Man
    " " - Compartments / Simple Song
    " " - Virgo / Golden Lady
    Sly and the Family Stone - Brave & Strong / Runnin' Away
    Kool & The Gang - Get Down on it / Summer Madness
    Zap-Pow - This is Reggae Music / Break Down the Barriers
    Tasha Lee - Stomped on and Wasted - (Cool modern folky funk track - double)
    Zook - Slinky (Another modern funky cut with big drums - Double)
    Rob Life - The Great Rhythm Caper / Here's One I made Earlier
    Mr Chop - Electric Vibes / Breakdown
    James Brown - Think / Something
    Joe Cocker - With a Little Help / Delta lady
    Eric B - Paid in Full / Eric B is on the Cut
    Batti Mamzelle - Get out of my Way / I see the Light

Oh and everything's unplayed!

They must have a connect at the library. My copy of the 'Soul Cure' 45 came from Reckless, and was ex-BBC, as were the James Brown 45's I pulled out at the same time. And this was a while back. That 'Golden Lady' 45's nice.
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

They bought the bbc library months and months ago and have been putting stuff out all the time. I went on saturday and saw all that stuff there.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Oh, I thought they'd all gone - I got a nice Max Greger single the first time they were out (and it really was unplayed, too!) but last time I was there there weren't any.

Better get another one-day travelcard then........

Comment

Picked up one or two good bits out of there too over the last few months.

Sevens from the BBC library have also been turning up in a charity shop not a million miles from Berwick Street for quite some time now (or rather they were, not sure whether they have dried up or not now).
          Endless Tripe

Comment

I can't believe I forgot about this - the last time I was in there was probably a couple of years ago (I remember it was just before the last White Stripes album as I was admiring their vinyl LP promos) and Polo in the basement showed me part of the list of the BBC collection they were buying. I got as far as marking 45s I was interested in, and then never went back...

I think I'll give up now.

We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

dont feel too bad john. they sold off loads of it to dealers on the spot - ebayed loads of it too and generally not much got into the public domain via the shop.

Comment

sure - but I could have been in there at the start. d'oh!
                We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Originally posted by son of stan
                  Sevens from the BBC library have also been turning up in a charity shop not a million miles from Berwick Street for quite some time now (or rather they were, not sure whether they have dried up or not now).
                  Hang on, there's a charity shop near Berwick Street? Where is it? I've never spotted it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                    Hang on, there's a charity shop near Berwick Street? Where is it? I've never spotted it!
                    There's a couple on Goodge Street ( or used to be ) but dunno if they'd be the ones in question...guess that's a bit of a trek from Reckless on Berwick Street, mind...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

[QUOTE=Lord Thames]Hang on, there's a charity shop near Berwick Street? Where is it? I've never spotted it![/QUOTE

I wouldn't say as near as "near" but nearer than "far":

Walk up Berwick Street, cross over Oxford Street, keep going North until you get to Goodge Street. About a five - ten minute walk. There are three charity shops, the one I meant is the Oxfam.
                      Endless Tripe

Comment

yeah I thought you meant goodge st or either the marylebone ones. Pretty dry those!

Comment

I think decent stuff goes out of them quite quickly. I used to go over that way 2 or 3 times a week for work and did all right then.

Like I say, at one stage they had a load of ex-bbc sevens which they seemed to be putting out all the time. Not been over there recently though.
                          Endless Tripe

Comment

?!

I dunno, I have found a few good things in 2 of those charity shops. . .only the one with a downstairs department has been totally cack.

Last year I think I found that Vangelis "Apocalypse D'Animaux" OST, the not too bad "Electronomusic" music concrete LP on RCA, and that weird kiddie/school LP with the blue octopus type thing on the cover. Not exactly astounding finds, but OK for a quid or so.

However, the year prior to that the Oxfam shop had a load of ex shop stock singles. . .I think I got about every early Metalheadz release - original pressings in NM condition - probably from 002 to 040 - out of there, plus some nice Good Looking stuff AND DJ Shadow "What Does Your Soul Look Like" EP and both "Clubbed to Death" 12" in mint shape.

Needless to say, I haven't found anything in that Oxfam shop since, but it's well worth a look. It's all about perseverance innit.

Comment

Working...
                            X