Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• son of stan
    replied
    I don't normally go in for these but two from Saturday's haul that I'm particularly pleased with....

Various Artists, Black Magic chocolates promotional LP:
    One of those CBS Special Products LPs which are usually only of marginal interest. This one though features the instantly recognisable Black Magic TV ad music from the 70s, "Black Magic Theme" by Christopher Gunning ("Who knows the secret of the black magic box?&quot. Awesome. Like "Fragment of Fear" done by John Barry.

Malta Bums "Mr DJ" (Malta, Tony D' Amato 7&quot:
    Insane funky-rock hammond freak out. And its called "Mr DJ". What more do you want for 10p?

Leave a comment:

• Benicio Del Toffo
    replied
    "I've meant visit the factory shop for a long time, but haven't been back up that neck of the woods for ages. Is it worth a trip Ben (good discounts?)?"

Your fashion correspondent writes:

It's worth a peek definitely. Obviously, it's down to the luck of the day in terms of what stock's in there. But the prices are pretty good.

On average, say a merino sweater that would set you back £80 in somewhere like House of Fraser, retails at about £29 in the factory shop. And the faults are usually unnoticeable.

I bought 5 sweaters on Saturday for a total of £140. I go for the plain v-neck vibe, but you can get Partridged up with the Argyle designs if you want!

You need to be in your car though as transport to the village (Lea Mills) is sparse, as I found to my cost!

Benicio

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 27 May 2003,18:28)]

At least I know exactly what it looks like now. Fifty quid!!! He's charging £14.99 for a '12 Tops' album too.  
    Hey Blighty I'm about 80% certain I've got a spare one of these lying about - if I can find it I'll holler !

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Metric Man "Songs of the Metric Man" (Metric)

Spectrum "Direct Flight" (Direct Disk)

Freddie McCoy "Gimme Some!" (Cobblestone) - Man this comver deserves to go up on the wall.

Sweetwater "Just For You" (Reprise)

George Benson "Erotic Moods" (Winley) - definitly the find of the weekend at 6 bucks.

Liza Minelli"Youre So Vein"(Polydor) - you know the drill this is the one with the Cover of "Use Me"

Fever Tree "S/T" (MCA) - Seen this around for a bit, also notices that someone treied to sell this as a "secret squirrel" on Ebay Last week. Come on now, It can't be that rare of there are 4 copies sitting around at Amoeba.

An Astronomical Odyssey "Sounds Galactic" (London Phase 4) - A Nice "now sonds" album with covers of "Spinning Wheel", "Aquarius", and "Across the Universe".

Herbie Hancock "Mwandishi" (WB) - I could of swore I had this, I got it to trade as a doble, turns out its my first and only copy.

Lena Horne "Natures's Baby" (Buddah) - My 2nd Lena Horne album I've found on Buddah, these things are great. 2 songs written by the Rev McD. and soft and easy funk throughout.

Clique "Sugar on Sunday" (White Whale)

Serge Reggiani "Bon A Tirer" (Polydor) - Anice LP of easy french jazz with a tinge of soul. Produced by Alain Goraguer

V/A "Persian Santur- Music of Iran" (Explorer Series) -I've been on this persian run of luck the last 2 weeks. I got a good deal of persian instrumental LP's lately, soon some will be headed straight for the sampler.

45:
    Sand Dollars "Get Thy Bearings" (Now-Again)

and a few things for the trade bins

John Gregory Orchestra "TV's Greatest Detective Themes" (Mercury)

Crustified Dibbs "Bloodshed Hua Hoo" (Jive) - Aww yeah R.A. at his most Rugged!

As for the Dusty kid, his Identity and how he gets his beats. I heard he used to work for TSL in New York for quite some time. He put together the infamous "Pete's Treats" comp. which was very quickly pulled and re-released under the moniker "Soul Treats" due to some friction that Pete Rock expressed on blowing up his secrets. I'm guessing a good portion of that there collection comes from working at the record store, I can say I've been fortunate to have  record store employee dibbs on LP's and come out well, Imagine what treats never made it out at a place as funkdified as TSL.

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied

At least I know exactly what it looks like now. Fifty quid!!! He's charging £14.99 for a '12 Tops' album too.

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    Carvelli - L'etrange Dr. Personne (This might be caravelli off an April Orchestra lib?)

has it got a lot of guitar? sounds like it could be Pierre Cavalli?

Leave a comment:

• Motown67
    replied
    Ooo, I'd like to know the deal with the Dusty Fingers comps as well. I barley remember the conversation about them on the old Crates List. The only thing I remember is that Soulman knew the guy and had actually given him a couple things.

E-Man, you can't just bring up something like saying you know who did them and teasing us like that?!?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]PS Fared rather better with the knitwear!!
    I've meant visit the factory shop for a long time, but haven't been back up that neck of the woods for ages. Is it worth a trip Ben (good discounts?)?

Oh, and I believe that may well be the same Rhythm And Crunch that old boogie-juice still hasn't shifted after listing it umpteen times for that price...

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ 27 May 2003,13:17)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Smiths Crisps - 'Rhythm And Crunch' flexi (second...)
    Is this up for trade then, Rich? I've been after a copy for a while so first dibs please if it is.
    Look no more Blighty!

Our old friend Boogiejuice comes up trumps again....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....3015336

Only £50!

Plus you are getting a bit of Phil Collins memorabilia into the bargain too!!!!

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    aye dusty fingers are the best series in my opinion. The library selections are top choices.

Here's no 10.

KG Intro
    Franz Auffray - Son Of Popcorn
    Brian Bennett - The Unknown
    Johnny Harris - Light My Fire
    Barry Cooper - Impulsion Drums
    Drum Skit 1
    Drum Skit 2
    Chapeau Melon - Botte De Cuire
    Serge Gainsbourg - Requiem Pour Un Con
    Nancy Holloway - Sand And Rain
    Carvelli - L'etrange Dr. Personne (This might be caravelli off an April Orchestra lib?)
    A. Parker - Relaxed Spacious
    K. Fleins Field - Incidental Black Cloth (Keith Mansfield From 'Underscore' - (KPM 1035) - 1968)
    Drum Skit 3

Leave a comment:

• Benicio Del Toffo
    replied
    There's a Vol 10 you say? Shite, I'll have to raid Selectadisc pronto!

I had a weekend off of digging really - I needed sleep due to my physical resemblance to a giant panda (also bleeding over into my sex life).

I was in Matlock to go to the John Smedley factory shop for cheap knitwear and I did the charity shops while waiting for the bus.

In one charity (Save The Nippers I think), I got:

Sergio Mendes & Brazil 77 'In Concert'
    James Last 'Beachparty 3'
    King's Singers 'Captain Noah'
    Roland Shaw 'Phase 4 World of Spy Thrillers'
    Roy Budd 'Concerto for Harry'

One of those happy occasions when you wonder if they knew I was coming.

Other than that though, couldn't be arsed - I let you all down and I am ashamed.

Benicio

PS Fared rather better with the knitwear!!

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Rich - I had it in my December chart - I like it!

As for Fusty Dingers - I'd like to know how they get all that stuff - will someone email me once Ed has spilt the beans?

Anyone heard vol 10 yet? I didn't bother 'cos I had a fair bit on it already (first time that's ever happened with a DF comp I can tell you).

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    i know for a fact that Dusty Fingers comps are boots. also, some very interesting info about who compiles 'em and how. but i'm not telling. not until the next London meet

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    I'm pretty sure from the traffic on the old crates list that Dusty Fingers aren't legit. Stories of how the guy went after DATs from collectors so that he could comp the tracks, mistitling tunes, etc.

Anyway, how is the Christine Perfect LP - I could well be interested?

And that Rhythm And Crunch isn't spare yet Blighty, sorry. I've sent you a mail...

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Rich - It was a comp called "Funky Folk Flavours" which was definitely on the dodgy side whereas the "Dusty Fingers" comps are legit (I think).

If you're wanting a copy of the Christine Perfect LP I know of the whereabouts of one for a fiver - I'll grab it for you if you want.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X