Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenny Lynch ???

Hi,
    im a bit of a new guy on this here forum. no major collector but I love my obscure rekkids. anyway

I got myself a copy of one of those street sounds LP's, you know the early 60's soul comps. Im thumbing my way through the tracks on the LP and what do I come across 'half the days gone and we havent earned a penny' by none other than, Kenny Lynch of 70's variety performance fame!! Since finding this track I've always had an ear out for any of his other musical ventures. Then a few weeks later Im watching a Hammer horror, late night, bbc. Its one of those ones thats broken down into three or four mini films, you know? One of the main actors in it is none other than Roy castle, he is the lead role in one of the mini films. In this film he is a band leader, he's out in the tropics (trinidad or somewhere) He goes to this bar And who's on stage KENNY! any way the film carry's on roy hears some native tribal music and decides to play his version of it with his band Kenny warns him not to, you know you shouldnt mess with that voodoo shit. Anyway Roy ignores his warnings an starts playing out some nice afro jazz, the result of wich the whole venue he's playing gets attacked by some kinda poltergeist thingy (a bit like the beginning of space is the place) the film carries on and roy eventually dies. anybody seen it?

back to the Kennster!!

anyone know what music he's put out and if any of it is good!

or roy castle for that matter
    Earfuzz

The film must have been "Dr Terror's House Of Horrors". There was a very rare 45 released at the time featuring "Voodoo Girl" from the film, but annoyingly a re-recorded version with Roy Castle on vocals - not the mad buzz-flute (played by Tubby Hayes) version you've heard.

It was bootlegged recently - should still be available in good record shops for about a fiver. Shame it's not taken directly from the film's soundtrack.

Great film.

Comment

Kenny Lynch's "Moving Away" is sought after by UK soul collectors (there's also a Studio 1 cover of it by Ken Boothe). Likewise the UK soul rarity "Keep on walking by" by Midnight which he had a hand in.

He also wrote the Small Faces "Sha La La La Lee" and other stuff no doubt..
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Hi maWhie

Seems odd (and a bit vulgar) to be recommending a CD in these parts, but a compliation of Kenny's 60s stuff has come out very recently, called 'Nothing But The Real Thing.' He was on with Mark Lamarr a few weeks ago and the stuff they played sounded great - a real cross-section of 60s styles. The one track that caught my ear was called, I think, 'For Loving You Baby' - a B-side, mid-tempo, with a cracking up-front brass arrangement.

I'm hoping to pick up the CD soonish so I'll re-post if there's more of note.
        The Pop Music Library

Comment

That's on RPM Records http://www.cherryred.co.uk/rpm/artists/kennylynch.htm

(BTW It has the first ever Beatles cover on it - Miser)
          http://www.finderskeepersrecords.com

http://www.myspace.com/dougshipton
          http://www.twitter.com/dougshipton

Comment

Welcome to the site maWhie...

There's a lengthy article on Kenny Lynch in this month's issue of Record Collector including a slected discography. Not read it yet but it should be of some use!
            Mixes, compilations and the like

Comment

I was a bit suprised to hear about Kenny Lynch once being cool after seeing him on so many crappy tv shows, but he gets a mention in the first volume of "Stoned", Andrew Loog Oldham's biography. Im curious to hear his cd.

Comment

I was prompted by this discussion to pick up the Lynchmeister's CD on the way home last night. It's pretty much all beat ballads, with a few more uptempo numbers thrown in. Most of it is a bit 'early' in Vulture terms, but it's all good solid stuff with decent arrangements by Ivor Raymonde, Arthur Greenslade, Harry Robinson and Johnny Harris. Definitely worth a listen, if only to revise your opinion of the man! He was very self-effacing about his talents when I heard him on the radio, but he's clearly got a respectable back catalogue.

It also boosts Johnny Harris' Northern Soul credentials, which (knowing little about the subject) I hadn't picked up on: I knew he did Lorraine Silver's 'Lost Summer Love', but he did the arrangement on 'Movin' Away' as well.
                Last edited by Tommo of Sprowston; 21-01-2005, 09:50 AM. Reason: Appalling mis-spelling!
                The Pop Music Library

Comment

Originally posted by wooly
                  The film must have been "Dr Terror's House Of Horrors". There was a very rare 45 released at the time featuring "Voodoo Girl" from the film, but annoyingly a re-recorded version with Roy Castle on vocals - not the mad buzz-flute (played by Tubby Hayes) version you've heard.

It was bootlegged recently - should still be available in good record shops for about a fiver. Shame it's not taken directly from the film's soundtrack.

Great film.

Whoah!
                  You guy's now your stuff, I would never have thought he had produced so much.

I was hardly expecting to find that their was a single from that very film "dr terrors house of horrors" .

Was this a common thing back in the 60's n 70's, I think im right in saying thier was a single released from "PSYCHOMANIA" that spawned trunk records soundtrack release.

Where thier more of these british soundtrack 45's?

I know there where some LP's connected to hammer horror, I got this record the other day "Hammer presents Dracula with Christopher lee" "a horrifying story of vampirism with spine sounds and music" The musics fairly run of the mill cliche horror orchestral work, but the spoken word stuff is very nice,
                  Earfuzz

Comment

Indeed there was a 45 from 'Psychomania', 'Witch Hunt' credited to 'Frog' on Jam records.

Several people on the board have been lucky enough to acquire one, and everytime I spot the Jam label in the charity shops I get a little flurry of excitement. And it almost always turns out to be that damn Malcolm Roberts 45.

Although, I did pick up something on Jam recently - 'Big Trouble (pts I & II)' by T.N.T which is worth a punt if you see it. Very drum happy flip... anyone else picked that up ?
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
                      Indeed there was a 45 from 'Psychomania', 'Witch Hunt' credited to 'Frog' on Jam records.

Several people on the board have been lucky enough to acquire one, and everytime I spot the Jam label in the charity shops I get a little flurry of excitement. And it almost always turns out to be that damn Malcolm Roberts 45.

Although, I did pick up something on Jam recently - 'Big Trouble (pts I & II)' by T.N.T which is worth a punt if you see it. Very drum happy flip... anyone else picked that up ?
                      I've not seen that one, Matt. I get that same excited feeling every time I spot a Jam seven inch. It's always friggin' Blackfoot Sue though. I usually pick up what I find on that label that's not BS but I've not found anything interesting at all. *sigh*

Comment

KENNIE'S everywhere..

he's on nevermind the buzzcocks tonight.
                        Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by maWhie
                          Whoah!
                          Where thier more of these british soundtrack 45's?
                          yes. there are loads of Brit OST 45s that never saw an LP issue, and they're usually pretty rare since even the major label stuff was only pressed in reasonably small quantities for film scores.

there are also some good UK-only advert music 45s (as in specially-commissioned ad music rather than library music).

lots of these 45s are rubbish mind you... i got very excited about a car manufacturer ad 45 from 1975 yesterday but it turned out to be cack.
                          http://www.blaxploitation.com
                          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
                            there are also some good UK-only advert music 45s (as in specially-commissioned ad music rather than library music).

lots of these 45s are rubbish mind you... i got very excited about a car manufacturer ad 45 from 1975 yesterday but it turned out to be cack.
                            Are you talking about straight up music, Ed? Or an advert with music underneath it? Orrrrrr.....an advert with music underneath it and a seperate track with just the music?

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
                              yes. there are loads of Brit OST 45s that never saw an LP issue, and they're usually pretty rare since even the major label stuff was only pressed in reasonably small quantities for film scores.

I got a couple of SMITH'S CRISPS 45's from the 70's. Part of some promotion from back in the day I think, some o you guy's must know the singles im on about.

The two I have are nothing real special but arent awful

I think they must of done a song for each brand of smith's crisps

I got one about potato twists 'twist n turn on'
                              another called 'when it comes to the crunch' 'its smiths it is'

I also got a jazz lp advertising bosch power tools, not soo great though
                              Earfuzz

Comment

Working...
                              X