Hot Rod / Surf Instro Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod / Surf Instro Recommendations

I am getting more into this stuff. Not really into the Beach Boy's Vocal Surf stuff. But the Drums and Guitar stuff is great. I got hold of a comp called "Wax em' Down" which has some spot on tunes on it by people such as The Avantis, Original Surfaries and Sandy Nelson. I also like the Dick Dale stuff as used on Pulp Fiction.

I have T-Bones LP on the way and Surfin' USA compilation. Anyone else into this stuff who can steer me towards some stuff? Especially the cheap stuff to begin with.
    My Mixcloud

I really like Don and the goodtimes - 'Turn On'. On wand. Should be a few quid.

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk...ch=2182&cat=id

Is that what you mean?
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

The Revels - Intoxica LP - comp on clear yellow vinyl, loads of great tracks including my favourite: Monkey Bird a.k.a Conga Twist, which is on one of the Jungle Exotica comps (those also have lots of good guitar stuff). some of the 45s come up on Ebay

not got much 'proper' surf stuff itself (need to fix that), but have quite a few guitar-y things like

Kai Winding - Soul Surfin' (a.k.a More) LP, Comin' Home Baby also on 45
      The Planets - Chunky 45
      The Shadows - a few interesting tracks both on 45 or tucked away on LP. The Frightened City is one of the more surf-y ones if i remember

got a load more, but can't think right now, will have a look tonight...

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
        I really like Don and the goodtimes - 'Turn On'. On wand. Should be a few quid.

http://www.funk45.com/Index.asp?funk...ch=2182&cat=id

Is that what you mean?
        I got a don & good times album for trade if ya fancy it kinko. great album and some excellent organ garage 'dancers' on it. Nice intro to that kind of sound.
        pm me if ya fancy it amigo.
        MODZ
        Hero No.9
        Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
        THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
          I got a don & good times album for trade if ya fancy it kinko. great album and some excellent organ garage 'dancers' on it. Nice intro to that kind of sound.
          pm me if ya fancy it amigo.
          Sounds like my cup of tea, tend to like anything with a groove that moves at 90 miles an hour. I will listen to the sample tonight (can't do real audio at work) and if I like it will see if there is anything I can suggest to trade with you.
          My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Kinky Chris
            Sounds like my cup of tea, tend to like anything with a groove that moves at 90 miles an hour. I will listen to the sample tonight (can't do real audio at work) and if I like it will see if there is anything I can suggest to trade with you.
            no sweat bro.
            some of their noise sounds quite 'mid-atlantic mod' for want of a better adjective....heavy organ driven stuff that i think you'll dig if u dig nite people sum blues. i'm gonna stick a load of stuff up for trade coz i just don't have the time to list on the bay so check it and we'll sort sumthin out mate.
            MODZ
            Hero No.9
            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

The Sundazed catalogue is worth a look for your basic guitar & drums twang'n'rumble surf stuff - plentiful comps & releases from the likes of Davie Allan, Trashmen, Link Wray & The Wraymen, various Gary Usher projects etc. Never really see much besides The Shadows & the odd Surfaris/Chantals/Jan & Dean comp in the UK (for less than Intoxica prices, anyway) but the reissues are solid jobs, with original artwork, and pretty nicely priced secondhand if you can turn them up. The earlier Ventures LPs (which go pretty cheap and turn up at Bootsales etc reasonably often) usually have at least one or two killer tracks mixed in with the cheesey twanging pop covers...and if you can find them, some of the John Barry 7 stuff fits this mould - The Beat Girl OST is a great city-jazz/twangy guitar set. Then there's the loungier take of Barry's guitarist Vic Flick on things like that & his own 'West Of Windward' LP, but maybe that's getting a bit further removed from the sound you're after...
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

?

The Ventures "In Space" album is excellent. . .even originals are rather cheap, and there was a US reissue on Pickwick. . .if you see it. . grab it.

Comment

As Wayne mentioned, The Ventures usually have one or two rippers amongst the half-hearted cover versions, and even delve into fuzz and go-go-beat towards the later half of the 60's. 'Ventures in Space' is still their best IMO, it's the missing link between exotica and surf. A lot of there stuff from 65-68 shares a lot of similarities with Sandy Nelson's albums from this period (I think they were both on Imperial?).

John Barry's Beat Girl OST is another top notch twanger that I can't recommend highly enough. The Goldfinger OST also has a heavy surf instro version of the title track by Billy Strange.

And there's a Billy Strange album of spy tunes with a gun on the cover (sorry, I forget the title) that is one of my favourites and has great twangy guitar versions of 'Man with the golden arm' and 'The Munsters' to name a few.

Al Caiola also has a few noteworthy albums and they're usually pretty cheap. Look out for the one where he takes on Mancini's 'Experiment in terror', it's fantastic. His 'Themes for spies and private eyes' is also a winner.

Another favourite is Dickie Harrell's 'Drums and more drums' which is like Sandy Nelson meets Les Baxter (http://www.showandtellmusic.com/page...rumsdrums.html)

My personal number one is 'Tough Chick' by The Rockbusters which is a devastaingly good slow instro b-side with a great spoken intro. It's available on a comp called 'Wierdsville' I think.

As for the more strictly surf stuff your best bet is to look out for comps as there is just so much of it. Luckily there is an abundance of great comps of rare and not-so-rare stuff around.

The whole twangy/surf guitar instrumental genre is great and really quite diverse, from the more straight ahead stuff like Duane Eddy (who does a killer Batman on one of his albums) thru the heavy surf stuff of Dick Dale and the Lively Ones all the way to more exotic Las Vegas Grind type gear.

Sorry to ramble on, but it is one of my favourite types of music ;-)
                  https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio Paradise
                    And there's a Billy Strange album of spy tunes with a gun on the cover (sorry, I forget the title) that is one of my favourites and has great twangy guitar versions of 'Man with the golden arm' and 'The Munsters' to name a few.
                    It's called 'Goldfinger' & my copy's on GNP Crescendo - love this LP. No LP with 'The Munsters' and a track called 'Theme For Pussy Galore' can ever be bad

Another comp series worth checking (I'd forgotten about the 'Jungle Exotica' set on Strip) is the 'Born Bad' series, which mixes up biker, rockabilly, surf etc in interesting ways.

Wanda Jackson's 'Funnel Of Love' on Vol.1 is an all time classic, but god only knows what genre that belongs to...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I think the 'Born Bad' series may be songs that the Cramps covered...?

I forgot to mention a great Japanese band called 'The 5,6,7,8's' who, while not strictly surf, manage to take in a whole bunch of similar genres and spit them out in a rockin' cacophany of swingin' greatness. They were the house band in the first Kill Bill movie.

Bomb the twist!
                      Jamie.
                      https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaay back when I was in high school, I imported a series of lp's called STRUMMIN' MENTAL on Link Records. A 5 volume set of raw frantic garagey instrumental surf music from the 60's. I still listen to them!!
                        Also DIGGIN' OUT on Mr. Manicotti Records (sub of Norton Records) is well worth searching for.

A few others are
                        CONCUSSION! (Mr. Manicotti)
                        SURFERS MOOD Vol. 1 - 4 (Romulan Records)
                        SURF CREATURE Vol. 1- 3 (Romulan Records)
                        WAIL ON THE BEACH (Satan Records)

And the chessy sleazy LAS VEGAS GRIND series (STrip Records) and FROLIC DINER (Romulan) are pretty cool as well.

Ask for a catalog of other cool stuff at
                        www.nortonrecords.com

Also at ARF ARF records grab
                        BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ Vol.1 & 2 plus
                        EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT '60S MIND EXPANSIVE PUNKADELIC GARAGE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK for rare late 60's instro stuff

www.arfarfrecords.com

Cheers,
                        David S
                        Last edited by soundsville; 21-01-2005, 04:35 AM.
                        God bless Fatso.

Comment

I've got a hot-rod LP by Dick Dale & the Del-Tones "Checkered Flag" which sounds like it'd be up your street.

PM me if you're interested in a trade...
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Just spoke to a friend who also recommended the "digging out" comp aswell as a comp called "wail on the beach". Both comps is all about the 60's as I was told.

Also check Dick Dale. Most of his stuff is decent. However on most lp's there's also vocal songs.

Also check out a band called New Dimensions. They should be very good. Aswell as the classic Trashmen lp called "surfing bird".

If you're looking for newer stuff check out Apemen and Jon & the Nightriders and don't forget the Danish group OK Kings whom released a 10" some years ago. It should worth searching for and it shouldn't cost you a fortune.

Good luck.

Hope this helps,

Dress

Comment

Working...
                            X