HF&S status report for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF&S status report for 2005

In case anyone's wondering, HF&S is starting up in a kind of subdued manner for the first part of 2005. The first live band will be March 03.

We'll be putting on one live band a month (1st Thurs of), as opposed to two a month last year. It hasn't exactly been a money making venture for the bar what with trying to keep entry fees to a minimum and virtually no promotional budget. Plus the building of a second floor is costing the venue big, so everyone's budgets have to get tighter for now.

We've got an understanding, enthusiastic venue, so the nights are going ahead anyway. We're just gonna cruise on through until May, when the HF&S LP comes out, hopefully with a promotional soul revue type tour around the UK with possibly some dates in Europe and maybe even one in New York.

If the LP helps make people more aware of what's happening down the Salmon & Compass in Angel, and crowds become more busy and consistent, then we can go back up to two live acts a month maybe even more.

So until March comes, I'll be trying to rotate through whoever suitable is up for spinning. Like I said, budgets are extremely tight, so we're just gonna have some fun with it. It's always nice to hear fresh takes on soul and funk, so if anyone who hasn't spun down here before would like to, send me a PM.

Got some tasty acts coming up from March anyway, including Max Weissenfeldt and Malcolm Catto's outfit in May. Still plan to get some sellers down there, if anyone's interested in a little leafing with their shuffling.

There's a HF&S on tonight, but it's just me spinning I think, as the night will be interrupted by some kind of after show unplugged set from some Irish singer called Paddy Casey, who's doing a gig at the Carling Academy nearby. If you're like me, then you won't like him: sounds like a one-man Waterboys, from what I could gather on the Internet, ugh. Anyhow, he'll be on for an hour or so at midnight I guess. The manager told Chris it'll be packed out for that bit, and shit is tight down there so he needs the custom!

And on the 27th, we're planning to help celebrate Serm's and Sie's birthday: them two and myself spinning all night...

Anyhow, enough rambling. Just trying to keep some decent music going. Do come down whenever you can, and I'll put up a confirmed list of dates to come asap. Thanks for reading!

Hot, Funky & Sweaty
    Salmon & Compasses, 58 Penton St (cnr of Penton & Chapel Mkt), Angel, London N1 9PZ 020 7837 3891
    Every Thursday, 8pm-2am. £2/£3 with band. (often there's no charge on DJ only editions)
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Kinda Kinky (Myself and someone called Paul) would be interested in spinning a few tunes. What kind of music policy do you have?

PM me your address and I will send you a Kinda Kinky demo CD to see if we fit.
    My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
      In case anyone's wondering, HF&S is starting up in a kind of subdued manner for the first part of 2005. The first live band will be March 03.

We're just gonna cruise on through until May, when the HF&S LP comes out, hopefully with a promotional soul revue type tour around the UK with possibly some dates in Europe and maybe even one in New York.
      All sounds good mate - what's the scoop with the LP?
      FunkyDown
      Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

The LP is coming out on Acid Jazz in May. The 45 should come out a few weeks before. The actual track order hasn't been determined yet and I'm not sure all the tracks will fit on the vinyl version. As it currently stands, these are the tracks in alphabetical order:

The Baker Brothers - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (v)

Big Daddy Moochin’ – See And Don’t See (v)

The Boogaloo Investigators – Heartbreaker (v)

Color Climax – Black Rite

The Gene Drayton Unit – Teenage Kicks

Lefties Soul Connection – It’s Your Thing/Hey Pocky A-Way (v)

The Neapolitans (feat The Essentials) – Crosstown Traffic (v) (45 A-side)

The New Mastersounds – Zambezi

The Organites – Hot, Funky & Sweaty (45 B-side)

The Poets of Rhythm – Funky Booty

Reverend Cleatus & The Soul Saviours – Salt Popcorn

Sharon Jones & The Dapkings – Condition My Condition Is In (v)

The Soul Investigators – Hung Up

Speedometer – Work It Out (v)
        Last edited by Nick Cope; 21-01-2005, 09:35 PM.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
          The LP is coming out on Acid Jazz in May. The 45 should come out a few weeks before. The actual track order hasn't been determined yet and I'm not sure all the tracks will fit on the vinyl version. As it currently stands, these are the tracks in alphabetical order:

The Baker Brothers - 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (v)

Big Daddy Moochin’ – See And Don’t See (v)

The Boogaloo Investigators – Heartbreaker (v)

Color Climax – Black Rite

The Gene Drayton Unit – Teenage Kicks

Lefties Soul Connection – It’s Your Thing/Hey Pocky A-Way (v)

The Neapolitans (feat The Essentials) – Crosstown Traffic (v) (45 A-side)

The New Mastersounds – Zambezi

The Organites – Hot, Funky & Sweaty (45 B-side)

The Poets of Rhythm – Funky Booty

Reverend Cleatus & The Soul Saviours – Salt Popcorn

Sharon Jones & The Dapkings – Condition My Condition Is In (v)

The Soul Investigators – Hung Up

Speedometer – Work It Out (v)
          Top tracklisting! Bravo ....
          FunkyDown
          Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Last edited by IAN; 31-03-2005, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rubberfunk
              Top tracklisting! Bravo ....

wot, no Guder?!
              www.myspace.com/usofaudio
              www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
              www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

Working...
              X