Brillo At Smersh!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brillo At Smersh!!

Just wanted to post to thank everyone that came down on Friday to Smersh. The night as a whole seemed to go really well thanks in no large part to the posse Sermad brought with him, cheers for that.

I appreciate that the issue with the volume was a bit of a pain but should Alan the manager offer us a monthly spot (he was talking about the last Friday of the month) would people be interested in coming along again to play. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Here's my playlist, everyone post up your own please:

Hearts of Soul - Sing a Simple Song
    France Gall - Zozoi
    Jack Hendrix - Rhythmofeeling
    Platano Split - Castil Battle
    The Playboys - Snoopy
    The Beat fellows - Sound Beat
    London Fogg - Trippin
    The Surveyors - The Thang
    The Salambos - Salambo
    Tony and the Mule Station - Isbergues 2 am
    Dave and Junior and the Guess Who - Party in Joes Craigs Bar

Great night guys. All my friends had a blast and the place didnt seem so small when it got rammed.

Hands up who enjoyed 'soulmad' on the decks then?

My tash and cigar combo went down a treat...

Not sure what I played...but it might have gone a little like this.

Oh Im missing a 'Something for nothing' by jess & james. Because I have the sleeve here and no record. So maybe lhc or veris has it?

Also missing a record on 'hot wax'. No idea what it is but is a soul record.

The Soul Crusaders Orchestra - Funky Jive
    Soul record on hot wax.
    The Soulmasters - Your Love Is Gone
    The JJ Band - Nicky At The PC
    Jess & James - Something For Nothing
    Don & The Good Times - Turn On
    Shocking Blue - Hot Sands
    Jacques Dutronc - A La Queue Les Yvelines
    Elvis - Rubberneckin'
    Syl Johnson - Different Strokes
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Good to have made it down to a Brillo night finally.
      Nice to have met up with some of the regulars on the VV board, such a nice bunch of chaps....
      Here is my playlist:

Free Sound Orchestra : The King's Bounce
      Jukka Eskola : 1974
      Dazai Yuri Sextet : Midnight Tokyo
      Big Horns Bee : Vamp Intro
      Faruk Green : You Should Know
      The Pipe : Wade In The Water
      Roy Porter Sound Machine and George Holmes : Panama

Mark
      Mark GV Taylor

https://www.facebook.com/referencepointlondon

Comment

Thanks to llmod for organising the evening -it was great to see every one down and have the opportunity to celebrate Sermad's birthday.

Sermad - your siblings and mates do you a credit and the 'tach should be a permanent fixture - name one funksoulpsych DJ with one - and beards do not count.

Sorry to hear that you have records missing, I have not come home with any bonus disks, hopefully it will turn up. I empathise with your situation, that would be one of my worst record nightmares.

This is "the program" set, apologies for any gaps, LHC will clarify those

Baris Manco 'Gonul Dagi'
        Antonio Carlos e Jocafi 'Simbarere'
        Nana Caymmi 'Calo Boco'
        Danish kids proto Hip Hop tune?
        Reality 'Hot Wind'
        Belles Combo 'Instant groove'
        Seyhan Karabay 'Edali Gelin'
        One hundred years time 'If it is feeling you want.....'
        ?
        Soul Tornadoes 'Hot pants road'
        Last edited by veris; 24-01-2005, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1

I appreciate that the issue with the volume was a bit of a pain but should Alan the manager offer us a monthly spot (he was talking about the last Friday of the month) would people be interested in coming along again to play. Anyway let me know your thoughts.
          I just wanna mention that Chris at the Salmon has always been into the idea of getting the Best of Brillos a regular slot. I'd always said no because it should be something special, and thought everyone felt this way. But if the concensus is to the contrary, something can be done there. Or is Smersh a preferred venue?
          http://wakeupanddie.com
          http://weirdgearnyc.com
          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

thanks to mark for organising a top night. sorry to have missed a lot of quality sets!

some of the stuff in the playlist... will post the rest later...
            talking heads - once in a lifetime
            linda taylor - you and me just started
            ned doheny - to prove my love
            maze - timin'
            dusty springfield - spooky
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
              I just wanna mention that Chris at the Salmon has always been into the idea of getting the Best of Brillos a regular slot. I'd always said no because it should be something special, and thought everyone felt this way. But if the concensus is to the contrary, something can be done there. Or is Smersh a preferred venue?
              I don't think we should restrict ourselves to one venue.

We're good enough as either a whole or part 'collective' to be playing at venues all over the place. I think London's gagging for it - walking back to the car on Friday, and hearing some of the rubbish eminating from other bars was a mini education in itself.

So, llmod, yeah lets get something going - it doesn't have to be all of us at any one night but it could be something like 'The Brillo Collective presents.....' and 2 or 3 of us play. And that could happen all over the place. And Nick, if Chris is up for a monthly there too, then the same could apply. Waddya think?

Serms - the rekkid your missing is by Laura Lee - can't remember which title it was but it's not 'Crumbs from the table'.

Here's my setlist;

O.C. Tolbert - Goodness - New Day 45
              Zeke Strong - I laugh and talk - Miss Lady 45
              Herb Day - I'll never give up - Saundra Lee 45
              Styles of Bobby Day - Your love - Byrdland 45
              James Rivers - Bad bad whisky - Eightball 45
              Injun Joe - Someone - Turbo 45
              Loading Zone - Can I dedicate - RCA Victor 45
              Walter Hamilton - Loosen up your thing - Hi-Q 45
              Artie White - Gimme some of yours - Gamma 45
              Jerry Cook - Funky wagon - Troyx 45
              Sandy Gaye - He's good for me - Moonshot 45
              Emperors Soul 69 - Bring out yourself - Futura 45
              Lucille Span - Womans lib - Torrid 45
              Justin - Right now - Down East 45
              Joanne Gayles - Don't shake my tree - Bright Star 45
              Chuckaluck & the Lovemen - Hard to satisfy - Tay-ster 45

Much, slighlty cramped, DJ fun. .
              Last edited by Belson; 24-01-2005, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Personally I'd be happy to have 2 nights in a month, one at the salmon and one at Smersh. Smersh could be possibly be towards the end of the month, why not try to get the Salmon towards the middle of the month.

I definitely don't see Smersh taking over from the Salmon as the venue for these nights. Chris (the owner) and Nick have been top guys sorting this out in the past so I wouldn't want us to leave there in favour of Smersh.

Comment

Absolutely no idea what I played I'm afraid. Mostly Library scored electronic funk. German. Yellow covers. Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

As for venues, it makes sense to diversify, but after seeing Smersh, I think the Salmon is a far superior spot, not least for the size but the dance space and the beer and the fact that we can control sound instead of the bar staff. Always a good thing.

No disrespect to Mark, nice little score man! Smersh is a great little spot for a low key shindig, but if we wish to raise the profile of Brillo then a larger venue commanding more people space with an inbuilt solid relationship with the management [who after all are the gatekeepers] makes a lot of sense surely? Both venues are useful but for BoB's, the Salmon has to be the answer. I thought this had already been agreed, but then I have far less time to read these pages lately. Nick?
                  it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Ditto with andy here. smersh is a great little venue for the odd low key gig but I wouldnt go outta my way to travel hundreds of miles to play there. Salmon is much nicer to be honest.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Hello.

Thank you Mr llmod1 for helping me banish the January blues. Really good to meet up with people from this board. Especially good to finally meet Lord Belson, tdlt..Mark!, and Vibra Ian.

To add to playlist written by Veris, the Danish kids proto hip-hop tune is actually a Swedish kids proto hip-hop tune. The track is Mitt Sarr on the Goda Goda soundtrack LP.

Also played was the female funk tune by Glenda Dove 'It's Gotta Be Something Else'.

Sorry Veris and I had to leave early. I did'nt get a chance to give my records to Ed. Will sort this out.
                      Last edited by left hand corner; 24-01-2005, 10:55 AM.
                      records - one a week mixcloud
                      records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Soul-Fiend
                        .As for venues, it makes sense to diversify, but after seeing Smersh, I think the Salmon is a far superior spot, not least for the size but the dance space and the beer and the fact that we can control sound instead of the bar staff. Always a good thing.

No disrespect to Mark, nice little score man! Smersh is a great little spot for a low key shindig, but if we wish to raise the profile of Brillo then a larger venue commanding more people space with an inbuilt solid relationship with the management [who after all are the gatekeepers] makes a lot of sense surely? Both venues are useful but for BoB's, the Salmon has to be the answer. I thought this had already been agreed, but then I have far less time to read these pages lately. Nick?
                        I agree with you too Andy - I'm saying though if the gig is offered, we should take it. Use it to get more profile, and then the transition to bigger venues aside from the Salmon becomes easier.

If things go smoothly, we can start to build on some sort of 'following' by playing out , which at the mo, all we have is the BOB at the Salmon. Which of course is great, but really we could do so much more as a 'Collective' idea than we are - if everyone's up for that idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by left hand corner
                          Hello.

Thank you Mr llmod1 for helping me banish the January blues. Really good to meet up with people from this board. Especially good to finally meet Lord Belson, tdlt..Mark!, and Vibra Ian.

To add to playlist written by Veris, the Danish kids proto hip-hop tune is actually a Swedish kids proto hip-hop tune. The track is Mitt Sarr on the Goda Goda soundtrack LP.

Also played was the female funk tune by Glenda Dove 'It's Gotta Be Something Else'.

Sorry Veris and I had to leave early. I did'nt get a chance to give my records to Ed. Will sort this out.
                          Good to meet you too, fellow - albeit briefly!

Glenda Dove - tune!!

Comment

Thanks to Mark for sorting this and to all Vulture crew in attendance - nice to put a couple more faces to names..

The volume steez was clearly a bit tight.. think it's a great little place but they need to sort a better compromise out so that people can actually hear the music as well as keeping the neighbours happy.. Great night though!

Playlist:

Rosco & The Prophetic Band - Peacemaker
                            Willie Dynamite OST - Parade Strut
                            Hal Baldwin - Finger Sauce
                            Rubin Mitchell - Loosen Up
                            Mike Sharpe - Funky Serenade
                            Ballin' Jack - Found A Child
                            Don Covay - Money (That's What I Want)
                            Georgie Fame - No Thanks
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

On the way to the car my two thoughts were "How on Earth did The Program fit behind the decks?" and "I forgot to ask after Greg's breakage"... Next time. I had fun - cheers Mark! I agree with most of the sentiments expressed so far. We don't want to shun our spiritual home and it's a little frustrating hardly being able to hear what we're playing. And I may not be able to make it to every event what with the trek (plus sobriety is a pain in the arse!). But putting ourselves about a bit makes much sense (I personally need the practise, anywhere that offers me the opportunity ) and I'd definitely be up for both Smersh and BOB on a more regular basis.

Rich Hero Bites Setlist (or tunes-I've-been-put-up-on-by-other-Vultures ).

Astra Nova Orchestra 'Soul Sleeper'
                              Irene Reid 'I Must Be Doing Something Right'
                              Mary Jane Hooper 'I've Got Reasons' (for the birthday boy!)
                              Leon Gardner 'Clean Up Your Own Backyard'Gloria Walker And The Chevelles 'You Hit The Spot Baby'
                              Frank Williams And The Rocketteers 'You've Got To Be Man'
                              Shirley Ellis 'Nitty Gritty'
                              The Coasters 'Love Potion Number 9'
                              Mongo Santamaria 'Heighty Hi'
                              Simtec And Wylie 'Bootleggin' Pt. 1'
                              Mugo 'Organise'
                              Glenda McLeod 'No Stranger To Love'
                              Last edited by Rich Hero; 24-01-2005, 06:37 PM. Reason: additions...
                              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                              X