The Specials getting back together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Specials getting back together?

My mate reckons they're reforming. He said Terry Hall was on Soccer Am and confimed it.

Was my mate still drunk from the previous night or is this true?
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

Bloody Hell ! wouldn't it be great if they were... or do we prefer to remember them for what they were.. ? ?

Last week, I saw Terry Hall having a ciggie and a cuppa outside a coffee house up near The Angel, about 2 mins from The Salmon... I'm pleased to report he looked as miserable as ever, so it's good to see that nothing changes !
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

They've been getting back together for months. The reason the Specials doc on C4 was a bit half-arsed was because they'd decided to get back together then Jerry's dad died so he wasn't up for being interviewed and the others, fearing they might say something to upset him, also refused to appear.

Is it really a good thing, though? The last album was a bit of a self-indulgent mess and I think they'd already done their best stuff. How many reformed bands have ever been as good as they originally were (that's a bit of leading question...)?
      Last edited by ladyboygrimsby; 24-01-2005, 07:08 PM.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Spot on LBG - sometimes I think it's best to leave those memories of great bands exactly where they are - memories in the past...

When you say "self indulgent mess" - I presume you mean "More Specials" - if so, who's indulgent mess was it - I've always assumed Jerry Dammers' ?
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Personally I feel bands that re-form never capture the spirit they had in the first place. However, I would welcome a Specials comeback more than a Fun Boy Three comeback!

Comment

I think most reform for the money not for the love, otherwise they would probably move on. Not that I blame them for that, it must be horrible to have been in a band that was that successful and critically acclaimed and find (with the excpetion of Terry Hall) that everything they try and do from then on goes nowhere.
            My Mixcloud

Comment

Originally posted by left hand corner
              ... Fun Boy Three comeback!
              Blimey ! Eeeek ! You best keep those thoughts to yerself, kidda !!

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                Blimey ! Eeeek ! You best keep those thoughts to yerself, kidda !!

Our lips are sealed. Indeed.
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I take it it is not at the behest of VH-1 ?

Bananarama come back will be next I'm sure, if hasn't already been done of course.... possibly to co-incide with the Fun Boy Three one
                  Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by left hand corner
                    Personally I feel bands that re-form never capture the spirit they had in the first place. However, I would welcome a Specials comeback more than a Fun Boy Three comeback!
                    Why the dig at FB3? Faith, Hope & Charity is a better dance record than anything the Specials did. They made some great records.

Like the Style Council, I think they're regarded, unfairly, in the same way a second wife is, as an interloper, someone who spoiled a perfect marriage. Personally, I think the SC have stodd the test of time better than the Jam, and I think FB3's first album is really good. Or am I just being cantakerous?

Comment

Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby
                      Or am I just being cantakerous?
                      No. But I'm definitely being pednatic.

"Definitions of cantankerous on the Web:

bloody-minded: stubbornly obstructive and unwilling to cooperate; "unions...have never been as bloody-minded about demarcation as the shipbuilders"- Spectator."
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I think catnakerous looks better, personally.

Comment

Neville has been touring in the States as The Specials. I saw him last summer at The Knitting Factory in NYC. the rest of his backing band was made up of lads who I at first thought were the roadies. Typical music college kids, in their 20s, the trombonist looked like he just ran there from Marching Band practice. Everything was fine until they sang the chorus of Ghosttown "Ay. Ay-yay-yay-yay" Bit lame.
                          Otherwise, Neville's a good performer. And looked like a bit of a skirt chaser.
                          www.futurefunk.net/

Comment

Is it really a good thing, though? The last album was a bit of a self-indulgent mess and I think they'd already done their best stuff. How many reformed bands have ever been as good as they originally were (that's a bit of leading question...)?

I love 'More Specials'! Played it to death at the time and still play it now. The free 45 weren't much cop though.
                            Last edited by LDJB; 24-01-2005, 08:29 PM.
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Why the dig at FB3? Faith, Hope & Charity is a better dance record than anything the Specials did. They made some great records.

Like the Style Council, I think they're regarded, unfairly, in the same way a second wife is, as an interloper, someone who spoiled a perfect marriage. Personally, I think the SC have stodd the test of time better than the Jam, and I think FB3's first album is really good. Or am I just being cantakerous?
                              Hey just being a cheeky chappy Mr LadyBoyGrimsby. I must admit I have never heard Faith, Hope & Charity (except as a short lived group featuring Dani Behr ). Maybe next Brillo you can play it and let me see and hear the light!

Comment

Working...
                              X