Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast kid
    replied
    This is an interesting topic, because I see that James Last stuff all the time, and thanks to this article, I bought Beachparty 3 today, with a nice version of 'put your hand' on it. I like that break.

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    Hey Lord Thames, I started a new Frank Valdor thread to keep this strictly Last!

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    [QUOTE=Brainbomb][COLOR=SlateGray][QUOTE=emperor
    Also - in Germany you can search for Heino - who's not funky at all but fun...[/QUOTE]

I'll probably avoid that blonde freak. I was introduced to him by the Incredibly Strage Music book Volume 2 years ago. Great story about the Dead Kennedies playing him between sets. The German punks were amused and did silly danes for 2 songs but when it didn't stop they destroyed the venue.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Frank Valdor did a fair bit of library stuff too - there's a few gems in his back catalogue (well, I like 'em!), but his LPs very rarely make it to England, it seems. He also recorded as Orchester Sunny Holiday (though his real name's actually Klaus-Dieter Hirt!)

I'd be interested to know what you have, actually - and if you've got any spares you want to get shot of.......

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    I always see copies of that and Trumpet A Go Go but never some of the more interesting ones with reggae covers. Is Germany a decent hunting ground for them? As I will be in berlin in a month.
    Sweden is very good for hunting James Last. Germany would probably be even better. I've seen a lot in Denmark too.

If in Germany it's also worthwhile to search for Frank Valdor - some say he's from Austria though. He made a lot of albums "in Dynamic Party-Sound" in the 60s and 70s. Not as many as Last but some of them are actually really good. Not many people seem to talk about him though, with possible exception for the break-heavy Live in Rio. If anyone is interested in more info I could start a new thread and post my Valdor records with short reviews (as I have of all my records) just like the James Last Post above...

Also - in Germany you can search for Heino - who's not funky at all but fun...

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb
    James Last Rock Me Gently LP ?
    Gentle rock is a really good description. Nothing special, but better than the average Last album. Has some nice moments and a little bit of analogue synthesizer.
    This includes his take on Lighthouse's 'One Fine Morning' a tipoff from Blighty if I remember correctly)? This is pretty good, in my opinion. And there's 'Drina March' on one of the 'Trumpet A Go Go's' which is half good (the bits that aren't the oompah chorus).

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Funnily nobody ever mentions the album he did here in Ireland - Live At St. Patrick's Cathedral - probably 'cos its pretty stinky. I always see copies of that and Trumpet A Go Go but never some of the more interesting ones with reggae covers. Is Germany a decent hunting ground for them? As I will be in berlin in a month.

The 80's one with Masterblaster and Games Without Frontiers is pretty decent too.

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    I was once given a huge ('bout 100 albums) collection of James Last by a friend. Here's what I kept - because it was good, interesting or fun:

James Last Games That Lovers Play LP 1967
    I like this one because the title track sounds so ominous and disciplined instead of romantic, a friend called it "nazified e-z" and in a metaphorical way there's some truth to that. The rest is decent easy listening.

James Last Hair LP 1969
    One of Lasts best - very funky versions of music from Hair. Great. More than a few cool breaks and several jazzy moments and cool sounds.

James Last Happy Summer Party LP 1980
    Tropical style disco-cheese with songs like Copacabana, El Condor Pasa, Guantanamera etc. Has some nice tracks and some bad ones, mainly the ones that are vocal.

James Last James Last and the Rolling Trinity LP 1979
    Disco versions of traditional songs as well as some own compositions. Quite silly and fun, especially a version of Old McDonald but the songs are a bit too long. Has a little bit of electronics.

James Last Paradiesvogel LP 1982
    James Last goes new age with pan flutes, strings and synthesizers. Very different from his normal style. Cheesy but nice in some strange kind of way.

James Last Rock Me Gently LP ?
    Gentle rock is a really good description. Nothing special, but better than the average Last album. Has some nice moments and a little bit of analogue synthesizer.

James Last Sax รก Gogo LP ?
    Saxophone cheesy listening. Some of it's quite nice.

James Last Well Kept Secret LP 1975
    Very good and funky album. I think it's even better than his more talked about Voodoo Party, though not as fun.

James Last With Compliments LP 1970
    Pretty laid back. With some exceptions it's actually quite good, especially his own composition Rainy, Rainy which has a really good bassline.

James Last Voodoo-Party LP 1972
    Not known for quality but here he tries to funk it up, with lots of rockguitars and percussion, and makes a pretty good job. Decent cover versions, not half as cheesy as they normally are, and it also has two very silly composition of his own called Mr. Giant-Man and Voodoo Ladys Love.

James Last World Hits LP 1978
    Decent disco album. Features Jim Sullivan on guitar and according to the liner notes also some Polymoog, but that's barely audible. Music is actually quite good, but I don't like the vocals that much.

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Hero
    There's also another LP that either Matt or Colin put me up on, the titel of which escapes me right now. From about 1980 ( ) with more than one very listenable track.

Is it 'Happy Summer Nights' (or some such)?

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    There's also another LP that either Matt or Colin put me up on, the titel of which escapes me right now. From about 1980 ( ) with more than one very listenable track.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by vinylism
    sounds interesting! i'd like to know what this is on..
    I'll dig it out then and send you a piccie.

Leave a comment:

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Rubberfunk
    Sorry, but that sounds like something that you might need treatment for - or at least some kind of non-stop ointment

As for the other stuff, I've got an LP by someone called Wencke Myrhe (sp?) produced by Herr Last. It's pretty good if you like cheesy 60s girl pop in German. And, quite frankly, why wouldn't you? I'm also partial to the Beat In Sweet album that's got a couple of nice 60s tunes drenched in nasty strings, including a nice enough version of Like A Rolling Stone. Ace sleeve as well. Avoid both if you're after funkiness though.

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    replied
    Originally posted by ladyboygrimsby
    And here's another million dollar question: how close, exactly, is the reggae cover of Exodus to Risco Connection?
    a) Unerringly close
    b) Fairly close
    c) Darren's been on the Newkie brown again

ok ok, so i may have stretched the comparison a little with that one, but in my defence, i didn't have either record to hand to compare directly at the time of writing, and my brain opted for that which seemed reasonable enough.

and i'd still argue the case for that one over a pint, so i guess the answer must be 'b' as i ain't had a newkie brown since my student days.

pesky kids and their observant ways...

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    replied
    Originally posted by LDJB
    Also his cover of 'Oxygene' (or 'Equinox' - memeory failing...) is very funky and has a spiffing break - naturally I can't remember what LP this is on. I'll look later.
    sounds interesting! i'd like to know what this is on..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X