X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Thames
    I've got that on the Japanese LP 'Paintings' - dunno what else it came out on, though.
    That's the one!

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by LDJB
    Also his cover of 'Oxygene' (or 'Equinox' - memeory failing...) is very funky and has a spiffing break - naturally I can't remember what LP this is on. I'll look later.
    I've got that on the Japanese LP 'Paintings' - dunno what else it came out on, though.

Sadly I don't have the Billboard supplement or the flexi - I'd love to find one!

Doctor R - I'll try and pick up the Robert Last LP this week, if I can.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Rubberfunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Thames
    Oldest of the three Last brothers, played drums on James' 60s LPs, then went solo and did great versions of Lucretia MacEvil, Black Night and Hey Joe!

Incidentally, the LP with those three tracks on may still be lurking in a local charity shop - I might pick it up today if anyone fancies it!
    Aha! Trust LT to come correct with the knowledge, I guessed he was a drummer from photos on another album I have - if you end up laying your hands on that LP, I'll happily have it off you

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
    So here's the million dollar question is there any decent last stuff not mentioned in the article?
    Yes - the Seduction LP (the one where he does a couple of Moroeder (sp?) tracks) has a good tune on it which Colin Hero did a smashing re-edit of.

Also his cover of 'Oxygene' (or 'Equinox' - memeory failing...) is very funky and has a spiffing break - naturally I can't remember what LP this is on. I'll look later.

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    And here's another million dollar question: how close, exactly, is the reggae cover of Exodus to Risco Connection?
    a) Unerringly close
    b) Fairly close
    c) Darren's been on the Newkie brown again

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    So here's the million dollar question is there any decent last stuff not mentioned in the article?

Leave a comment:

• Dr Rubberfunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Little Jimmy Oddman
    Nice bit of Lastobilia!
    Sorry, but that sounds like something that you might need treatment for - or at least some kind of non-stop ointment

Leave a comment:

• Little Jimmy Oddman
    replied
    Really nice article Vinylism...I've been waiting for some recommendations from the non-stop catalogue!

Lord T - do you have that flexi? Nice bit of Lastobilia! And do you reckon that, in addition to the Duke and the Count still being around, the German fighter plane featured on the back of Well Kept Secret was a good marketing decision?

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by Mumbles
    Given the number of his records that flooded Woolies,WH Smiths and the like in the '70's and for someone who's received over 200 gold and 17 platinum discs, it amazes me he's still a bit obscure in the USA.
    I think they did some market research in the 70s when he was at his peak and trying to crack America properly, and it was suggested that at a time when you could still go and see many of the great American bandleaders like Ellington, Basie etc., they didn't really need some bloke from Germany coming over and doing the same sort of thing.

'Well Kept Secret' was his most blatant attempt to break the US, and it was quite heavily promoted, with a free flexi-disc and multipage supplement in Billboard - got good reviews too, but it never really made him into a megastar....though as he now lives in Florida, I suppose he doesn't mind too much!

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    it's been posted before, but:

http://www.jameslast.com/

some great photos!

Leave a comment:

• Mumbles
    replied
    As a recently converted Last virgin ( there's a big psychological barrier to get over) it's good to see the man get some attention. 'Herr'... sorry 'Hair' is terrific
    Given the number of his records that flooded Woolies,WH Smiths and the like in the '70's and for someone who's received over 200 gold and 17 platinum discs, it amazes me he's still a bit obscure in the USA.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied

Nice one Darren, lovely article. I do wonder what the Yanks will make of it ( doubles at the ready lads! ) ... I thought I was the only person daft enough to have bought James Last's reggae album ( I probably only got it for the cover...haha! )

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by bongolia
    was just over at the 'I Love Music' forum which is full of indie fans or ex-indie fans, and they have such a different attitude to music - all these people upset (i think someone may even have been in tears!) over the latest Daft Punk album not being up to the standard of the last one. crazy!
    That place did my head in years back.

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by Dr Rubberfunk
    Now, what's the scoop on ROBERT Last then eh?
    Oldest of the three Last brothers, played drums on James' 60s LPs, then went solo and did great versions of Lucretia MacEvil, Black Night and Hey Joe!

Incidentally, the LP with those three tracks on may still be lurking in a local charity shop - I might pick it up today if anyone fancies it!

Leave a comment:

• 70s-Kid
    replied
    Excellent article, Vinylism! Superbly researched and a fascinating read - nice one!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X