Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vinylism
    replied
    cheers for the feedback folks, glad you liked it. i know JL is well documented on VV, but some (non vulture) people will still pass on music unless it's of a certain pedigree, missing the point that funky music can sometimes come from the most unlikely places.

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Nice article, Mr Wall.

Originally posted by bongolia
    and i don't think the article mentions that charity shop staple Kai Warner is Werner Last either...
    That's interesting. I have a soft spot for some of his poppier moments.

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    and i don't think the article mentions that charity shop staple Kai Warner is Werner Last either...

Leave a comment:

• Dr Rubberfunk
    replied
    Nice article - and timely, as yesterday, some 14 years after first hearing 'Happy Brasilia' in a club, I finally broke my 'Beach Party' duck. By finding two in the same shop

Now, what's the scoop on ROBERT Last then eh?

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Thames
    Nice article, Vinylism - always good to see someone approach James last with an open mind!
    one of the things i love about VV in particular, but often goes for fans of genres like Soul or Easy Listening, is that good tracks can be appreciated on their own merits, and separate from the rest of the career. was just over at the 'I Love Music' forum which is full of indie fans or ex-indie fans, and they have such a different attitude to music - all these people upset (i think someone may even have been in tears!) over the latest Daft Punk album not being up to the standard of the last one. crazy!

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Yep, it's the same version on both LPs. Also worthy of note is the one on 'Live In London' where the strings go hideously out of tune at the end - very un-Lasty!

Nice article, Vinylism - always good to see someone approach James last with an open mind!

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    Originally posted by Brainbomb
    I like the title track on Games that Lovers Play - it sounds so sinister and evil. A friend of mine called it "nazified" easy listening... and there's something to it, when those pompous drums kick in...
    Not exactly funky though...
    always liked that one too. it was his signature tune i think, so there's loads of versions. the one on Love This is My Song might also be worth the 50p, assuming they're not the same recording - i can't be bothered to check...

Leave a comment:

• Brainbomb
    replied
    I like the title track on Games that Lovers Play - it sounds so sinister and evil. A friend of mine called it "nazified" easy listening... and there's something to it, when those pompous drums kick in...
    Not exactly funky though...

Leave a comment:

• vinylism
    started a topic James Last - the funk is out there..maybe

James Last - the funk is out there..maybe

I know Hair/Herr Last can be something of a divisive topic on the board, but some might enjoy this i knocked out for Wax Poetics :

http://www.waxpoetics.com/html/conte...cle=james_last

Working...
X