DJM + zack laurence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJM + zack laurence

I only recently realised that ike turners "a black mans soul" was the same LP as 'Funky Mule' released in the UK. Releasd on DJM

I was going through some of my old charity shop 'brassy obscurities' (the ones that sit in the garage, slowly getting damp) When I found an LP on a subsiduary of the same label (DJM silverline), an LP entitled 'A taste of jack laurence' by the jack laurence orchestra, I picked it out,dusted it off, an gave it a spin. I couldnt beleive i had rejected to the garage, The lp aint good from beginning to end but there are a couple o nice tunes on it, in particular 'Mississippi delta' very uptempo beaty big band sound, brass and guitars. Similar to paul mauriati's 'etude in the form of rhythm and blues' (anyone know it) but i think better.

I have since been on the look out for more zack laurence, I noticed he has released a library lp on Impress, saw it on ebay but didnt bid on it, Doh! I know he has at least one other release on DJM silverline wich I be keepin an eye out for too

anyone else know this one , I recommend purchasing it if you see it at your local car boot or chazza
    Earfuzz

Originally posted by maWhie
    there are a couple o nice tunes on it, in particular 'Mississippi delta' very uptempo beaty big band sound, brass and guitars. Similar to paul mauriati's 'etude in the form of rhythm and blues' (anyone know it) but i think better.
    Is it the Bobbie Gentry tune? Great song!
    "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I've only got one Zack Laurence library LP (although I know he did more) on Impress, called 'Pop Stars' from 1978, which is a suite based on the twelve signs of the zodiac.

Most of it's far too cheesy, but the standout track is the super-tight, moody disco-funk of 'Scorpio' - well worth having the album just for this track.

By far and away his best commercial LP on DJM is 'Alive 'n' Kicking' from 1969, where he arranges things like the theme from 'Stilleto', and contributes a number of very funky originals, in a KPM big beat style.
      MPK

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB
        Is it the Bobbie Gentry tune? Great song!
        i asked this before, and no-one answered! the writing credits should be Gentry and Compass Music if so (and has anyone got a spare?). would love some good covers of this song - anyone know any others?

i have Zack Lawrence's 'I Will' LP also on DJM, which i'd trade if anyone's interested. some nice things on it, but not really funky.

Comment

Is it the Bobbie Gentry tune?
          Yes! Think that silverline LP is a comp, with tracks from Alive An Kickin, which it now looks like I need...
          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

I have the LP in my hands, and yes, mississippi delta is written by bobby gentry

the LP is a mixture of covers and original's

side a. a taste of honey,cant take my eyes off you,my cherie amour,jasmin,mississippi delta,african waltz

side b. sinful,young dreamer,first love,un homme et un femme,do you want to know a secret, aday without love

released 1969 djsl 007
            Earfuzz

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One
              Yes! Think that silverline LP is a comp, with tracks from Alive An Kickin, which it now looks like I need...
              Me too!
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Me too!
                Don't worry, you can have my Silverline comp when I get Alive 'An Kickin'...
                Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Working...
                X