Soviet Blacklist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soviet Blacklist

Some of you may be interested in this. My girlfriend found this list from Soviet Russia listing a number of bands proscribed at the time (1985). Unfortunately I can't get the picture of the list to appear (mods, how can you display a picture if you don't know its URL?) but apparently the message from the minister of culture at the time, a Ms. Pryazhinskaya, says this is the list of artists whose repertoire is considered dangerous and threatening for the Soviet ideology. She suggests using this list as a guidance for a more strict control over discotheques. They say that this will be distributed to all the local councils and discotheques.

The list of artists and what they propagate:
    Sex Pistols – punk and violence
    Madness – punk and violence Clash – punk and violence
    B52 – punk and violence
    Stranglers – punk and violence
    Krokus – violence, the cult of a strong leader
    Kiss – neo-fascism, punk and violence
    Styx – violence and vandalism
    Iron Maiden – violence and religious obscurantism
    Judas Priest – anti-communism and racism
    AC/DC – violence and neo-fascism
    Sparks – neo-fascism and racism
    Black Sabbath - violence and religious obscurantism
    Alice Cooper- violence and vandalism
    Nazareth – violence, religious mysticism and sadism
    Scorpions – violence Genghis Khan – anticommunism and nationalism
    UFO – violence Pink Floyd – distortion of the USSR External Affairs (i.e. Aggression of the USSR in Afghanistan) Talking Heads- spreading a myth about the Soviet War threat Donna Sumner –eroticism
    Tina Turner –sex
    Ramones – punk
    Van Halen – anti-Soviet propaganda
    Julio Iglesias – neo-fascism
    Depeche Mode – punk and violence
    Yazoo – punk and violence
    Village People – violence
    10 CC –neo-fascism
    Stooges – punk
    Blondie – punk and violence

Pity these weren't generic categories in Commie-era record outlets.

'I'd like a couple of LPs of first-quality violence, please, plus two-sides' worth of degenerate Amerikaner disko-sex'.

Interesting list- though it's humourous to think of all the hardcore, abrasively seditious underground stuff which might have escaped the despotic sieve. Throbbing Gristle? Sure, bring it right on over, comrade. But we won't be having any of that Donna Summer. Oh no.

Comment

how can you display a picture if you don't know its URL?

Right click to bring up the hidden Image URL and link to that i.e. if I right click on Damien's profile pic above and select "Copy Image URL" and c&p that in my browser bar, it takes me to where that image is hosted, and I see just that photo.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

!

Damien = Omen.

Damon = VG+ poster.

Comment

Us? Neofascist and racist? Whatever gave you that idea, Minister?

"Violence" appears to have been a pretty catch-all term: I think the Minister would have been heartened by the rise of twee indie pop.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

http://search.babylon.com/imageres.p...2&babsrc=SP_ssHere's a translation of the whole document: http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Lis..._USSR_1985.gif

and the original
            http://arkasha-severnij.narod.ru/zapret2.html

Comment

Good chapter in this about Soviet music business. Am sure there are others if anyone can recommend?
              Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

I seem to remember seeing this list back in the 80s. Possibly in the NME. I certainly remember much amusement that Swiss Hair-metal wimps Krokus were being uniquely singled out as undesireable for promoting the Cult Of the Strong Leader.

To be fair they were bang on in their assessement of Donna Summer.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

"To be fair they were bang on in their assessement of Donna Summer."
                  Though arguably wide of the mark with Julio Iglesias. Unless there is something I'm missing.
                  Thank for tips Chicken but it seems Gogo has removed the need, although interestingly when I click on the second link I get a message saying

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

You are a Neo-Kulak trying to infilitrate The Party Inner Sanctum™ and The Politburo has blocked your access. We are watching you comrade!

The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact your local Kommissar, who will then report to his regional Kommissar, who will then report to the divisional Kommissar, who will then report back to the local Kommissar, who must report ONLY to the State Kommissar, who then must fill out all forms in Directive Packet #850371953 in tripilicate and mail them to The Politburo, who upon recipt should respond to the divisional Kommissar withing 6-8 weeks.
                  I think the first reason was the correct one.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                    Though arguably wide of the mark with Julio Iglesias. Unless there is something I'm missing.
                    Julio came to fame under a fascist regime.
                    Franco tried to ban Russian salad
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Yazoo?
                      Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by eine View Post
                        Yazoo?
                        Yazoo!
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

10 CC –neo-fascism
                          superb! I presume it's because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsqLegE1zQ

Comment

On a related note here are some Russian punks (and others)
                            http://englishrussia.com/2012/11/19/...tures-in-ussr/

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                              superb! I presume it's because of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsqLegE1zQ
                              They missed the Capitalism Dog-ism of 'Wall Street Shuffle', though.
                              SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Working...
                              X