Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Valdor

Originally posted by Lord Thames
    Frank Valdor did a fair bit of library stuff too - there's a few gems in his back catalogue (well, I like 'em!), but his LPs very rarely make it to England, it seems. He also recorded as Orchester Sunny Holiday (though his real name's actually Klaus-Dieter Hirt!)

I'd be interested to know what you have, actually - and if you've got any spares you want to get shot of.......

I'm starting up a new thread so the James Last keeps its subject intact.

Lord Thames: Where have you found this information about Frank Valdor - I have searched a lot and not found out about Orchester Sunny Holiay and not his real name... I had plans to write an article about the search for the truth behind the "Dynamic Partyman" - and you seem to know more about this enigma than I do. Would love to share info with you.

Also, I can say that Valdor is pretty common in Sweden, below are the albums I decided to keep for now. I know I have spares of some, and also some others that I decided not to keep. I could probably help you out though with almost any album of his, since I see almost all of them at least once a year in Sweden for a £ or less...

Here is my Valdor-collection:

Frank Valdor Great Latin Hits
    Decent latin a gogo party-music.

Frank Valdor Hawaii Beach Party
    German party-music in Hawaiian style. Not very traditional hawaii-music, more pop with lots of steel-guitar. One of Valdors best. Many crazy uptempo songs.

Frank Valdor Hey Mister Valdor!
    Decent album, but contains a good version of Popcorn.

Frank Valdor Hits auf laufenden Band
    Silly, fun, some good songs, a little bit of electronics. One of the better Valdor albums.

Frank Valdor Hot Nights in Rio
    This is the best one I've heard by Valdor - really good Brasil funk with great percussion and cool guitars.

Frank Valdor King Size
    Decent party-easy-listening-a-gogo.

Frank Valdor King Size 2
    Better than the first volume, has some good percussion and African influences that makes it more fun.

Frank Valdor Live in Rio…
    Actually a good album of Brasil music, with all Brasilian musicians except for Valdor. Some really good percussion.

Frank Valdor Rubber Boat Party
    Great title, great and fun pictures on the sleeve, decent cheesy party music.

Frank Valdor Scandinavian Party
    Frank takes his Dynamic Party Sound to Scandinavia, and serves up three tracks each from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. Great picture on the sleeve and pretty fun music, especially the e-z-funky Här Kommer Pippi Långstrump.

Frank Valdor Tropical Dancing
    A good and fun album of tropical party-music. One notch less cheesy than the average Valdor record and also makes use of a little electronics and other effects.

Frank Valdor's Tropic Beats Mexican Beat
    Pretty good for a Mexican themed album and a very cool cover. A good record by Valdor standards, a decent record by general standards.
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Hello - I picked up the info from various sources, though unfortunately I can't remember specifics. This stuff just ends up in my head somehow!

The Orchester Sunny Holiday LPs came out on Telefunken in Germany - I've got one of them (it's Hammond Organ medleys, can't remember the title offhand), and there were a couple of 'Golden Trompeten Party' LPs that were released under either the Sunny Holiday or Frank Valdor names.

Another pseudonym he used was Gogo Jackson - I've got one LP under this name, '2000 Trumpets' on Polymax.

He also did a few LPs for the Europa label, some of them with his wife Yvonne Carre on vocals.

My favourite Frank Valdor stuff is probably what he did for the Europhon library - some of these tracks are now commercially available from Apollo Sound on their Test Card Music CDs, and they're well worth picking up. Hope that's useful.

By the way, you don't happen to have a copy of his version of 'No Ho L'Eta' anywhere do you, or know which LP it's from? A friend of mine is after that one!

Comment

At work now, but if I'll check the tracklists on my albums when I get home.

Comment

Very strange - none of the albums in my collection has a track called 'No Ho L'Eta' - it may be on one of the records I'm getting rid off - but right now I can't bother to go through all of them since I'm between apartments and got albums in piles in the wardrobe, under the bed and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
          The Orchester Sunny Holiday LPs came out on Telefunken in Germany - I've got one of them (it's Hammond Organ medleys, can't remember the title offhand)
          Lord, I have some of Frank's medley LPs, too.

This one's billed as Das Orchester Frank Valdor. Is this just the Australian equivalent to T/O Sunny Holiday? It's got Harry Baumann on the organ.
          Last edited by Coral Avenue Reliquary; 08-08-2005, 08:27 AM.
          http://www.therealevery7.com -- Nearly there!

Comment

I think it might be different to Sunny Holiday - Frank did loads of LPs like this, though so it's sometimes difficult to tell; they all seem to blend into each other after a while!

Interesting they credit the organist, though....I'll see if I can dig up any more about this Harry Baumann chap!

Comment

Harry got his mug on the back of the sleeve, albeit having to share the photo frame with Frank. Sitting with his organ outside........

The album's pretty crummy, except for some loopable drums and other stuff. I'd be interested if Harry had done anything that good.
              Last edited by Coral Avenue Reliquary; 09-08-2005, 02:46 AM.
              http://www.therealevery7.com -- Nearly there!

Comment

Scandinavian Party

RE: Scandinavian Party.

A Frank album that I've been searching for a good while. Is the album instrumental, with phonetic "la la la" vocals or did Valdor use Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish singers on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamic Man
                  RE: Scandinavian Party.

A Frank album that I've been searching for a good while. Is the album instrumental, with phonetic "la la la" vocals or did Valdor use Norwegian/Finnish/Swedish singers on it?

Haha - that one is fun because of the pictures on the jacket. He used Arne Bendiksen Singers (Danish (Norwegian??)) to perform all languages.

Comment

Hey, Mr. Valdor!

Oh yes, the cover. The scantily clad ladies are an obvious source of amusement but I've always appreciated Frank's belt buckle on the Scandinavian Party cover. It's half the size of Frank.

Arne Bendiksen singers were Norwegian, I think. I've wondered about if he used Finnish-speaking singers on the Finnish tracks for a while and now that I know that he didn't, I absolutely have to find the album.

My Valdor collection:

Dynamic Man

Frank Valdor a Gogo

Frank Valdor Goes Western

Frank Valdor in Mexico

Hey Mister Valdor!

Hits a Gogo

Hot Nights in Rio

King Size 2

My Favourite Songs

Rock Festival

Rubber Boat Party

Trompeten a Gogo 2
                    Last edited by Dynamic Man; 27-12-2005, 11:13 AM. Reason: added Valdor collection

Comment

It's common enough in Sweden - I pass on a few each year, may even have a spare... if you'd be willing to pay for postage or trade me some crap I may need I can PM you if I should find a copy soon...

Comment

I haven't come across any copies in the part of Finland where I live so I'm definitely interested...just drop me a PM when/if you come across a copy.

Comment

Working...
                        X