Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "PayPal - Flagged Account"

Oh no, not another Paypal scam.....

I have received a few eMails lately entitled "PayPal - Flagged Account" with the following text:

Dear PayPal Member,

Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your PayPal account and to ensure a safe PayPal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. To verify your Information at this time, please visit our secure server webform by clicking the hyperlink below

Click here to verify your Information

Thank you for using PayPal!
    The PayPal Team

The sender address is <[email protected]> but that's easy to fake anyway, I think.
    It even comes with the usual Paypal "Protect Your Account Info" security advise and several links pointing to real Paypal pages as far a s I can tell.

The only link that is dodgy is behind the "Click here to verify your Information" text. When the page loads, it cleverly displays the address "http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc?cmd=_login-run". This address appears outside and above the browser window, but not really in the address bar and almost covers up the address that's actually loading: http://210.221.194.4/web/.
    Clever html programming ....
    It was easy for me to identify this as a scam as I am not registered with Paypal under the address to which this notification was sent.

Be careful.

another reason why HTML email is the work of the devil. these scams wouldn't work so well if people could see the actual link they were clicking on...

Comment

Authentic e-mails from Paypal or Ebay don't contain clickable links.

Comment

Is it me or are these scams getting worse ?

For some stupid reason that I can't remember, I have 4 email accounts.
        Over the last week and a half I've received at least one scam for either Paypal or Ebay in at least one of the email accounts.

It's really starting to get on my nerves.
        They're gettin' better at it too...
        I'll tell you what............. What.
        What ?

Comment

Working...
        X