Avenue Records, 6 Top Hits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avenue Records, 6 Top Hits

I picked up one of those Avenue Records Top Hits EPs today. The reason I got it was for a version of "Black Skin Blue Eyed Boys". On playing it however,imagine my surprise when I discover that over the intro, its got Ed Stewpot (for it is he) saying,

"For you people on the Tesco treasure trail, this is the letter S!"

What's that about?

(I also got a couple of records in a newsagents shop today, but that's another story....)
    Last edited by son of stan; 04-02-2005, 12:15 AM.
    Endless Tripe

It was a competition run by Avenue in conjunction with Tesco - basically, the letters 'T' 'E' 'S' 'C' and 'O' were all recorded on various Avenue EPs, and to enter the competition you had to collect the EPs with all the letters that spelt 'Tesco', send them to Avenue and you'd be put into a draw to win a holiday.

I've got another one where the voice at the start is Avenue's boss Gordon Melville - I didn't realise it was Stewpot on the other one!

Comment

... the mind boggles ...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Being Avenue and all that, it makes me wonder what far-flung exotic locations the lucky winner would be sent to...

Wonder if Alan Caddy tried to hide in the suitcase?

Comment

Morcambe. No. Skegness.

Class.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Funny that, Sie. I was thinking along the same lines. Oooof!

Comment

haha!

Comment

prob a speedboat in ther somewhere that 'you coudda won'.
                MODZ
                Hero No.9
                Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                  Morcambe. No. Skegness.

Class.

The Bahamas..... but not the original version of the Bahamas.

Lord T,thanks. I'll not rest until I have found "T", "E", "C" and "O" now. Oh and I was guessing about old Stewpot.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

I wish I hadn't visited this thread. Now I'm going to be buying every Avenue seven inch I see. Wait! I hate Tesco. Maybe my loathing of their business practices will put me off. Let's hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
                      I wish I hadn't visited this thread. Now I'm going to be buying every Avenue seven inch I see.
                      Only because you want a free holiday in Skeggy, B.

Comment

...coz Skeggy is the true Bahamas...

Comment

I think the destination was Majorca, though knowing Avenue, it was probably really 'A Tribute To Majorca', with a replica hotel built somewhere in Chingford.......

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames
                            It was a competition run by Avenue in conjunction with Tesco - basically, the letters 'T' 'E' 'S' 'C' and 'O' were all recorded on various Avenue EPs, and to enter the competition you had to collect the EPs with all the letters that spelt 'Tesco', send them to Avenue and you'd be put into a draw to win a holiday.

I've got another one where the voice at the start is Avenue's boss Gordon Melville - I didn't realise it was Stewpot on the other one!

You are wrong on both counts, it was TONY BLACKBURN

Gordon Melville

Comment

Friend of mine has started playing these Avenue EP soul & reggae cover versions out....not surprisingly to a quite muted response...Mr Stapleton if you read this - Yep !..... it's Rob Moore !!
                              "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Working...
                              X