we are little barrie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we are little barrie

Not a bad record, but is it just me, or does this sound like that acid jazz favourite "mother earth" and their mainly forgettable album "the people tree"?

That and a bit of ocean colour scene (which nobody would really want to be associated with).

Maybe if i saw them live I might be more moved.

Well I don't have this (I presume it's the LP), but I've got most of their previous releases including Free Salute etc and IMO their sound is a little rawer than the two comparisons you've made. I've never liked either of those bands but I do like Little Barrie..
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck
      Not a bad record, but is it just me, or does this sound like that acid jazz favourite "mother earth" and their mainly forgettable album "the people tree"?

The people tree was a great album for the time and if you ever saw mother earth live you would perhaps have a different angle on it. Plus some of matt diegtons solo stuff is well worth a listen.
      MODZ
      Hero No.9
      Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
      THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Haven't heard this new material yet, but if you saw them live (and in the right place, as in the Elbow Room made a right cock of it) they will blow your socks off. Excellent band.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

It's a shame that you say the new set comes over all AJ on vinyl.

I'ld love to get behind the mixing desk and rough up that hard blues edge.

Concur entirely with Mr. Cope.

Comment

Every review Ive read of it has slated it.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I got it yesterday, on first listen it sounded pretty good. No Black Keys but still better than alot of stuff.
              You can't take a stocking offa bare leg

Comment

Cool. I'll deffo grab it this weekend. Can't praise them enough live.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

to take the opposite view, haven't liked them at all live - too noisy and 'rock'. was hoping for more dirty R'n'B or guitar-y funk. although they did play their (great) 'Shrug Off Love' track once after much perusuasion from someone... not heard the LP, will try and check it out cos they've certainly got talent. although the Acid Jazz comparison doesn't sound promising...

Comment

Working...
                  X