Ameoba Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ameoba Madness

Is anyone aware of this, which is currently bubbling up all over the place. The legend that is Amoeba Records in LA have started a digital side to their business. Called Amoeba Vaults this is a place where they have decided to digitize and sell pretty much anything they fancy which they think needs to be heard etc. Read all about it here.

But a quick skim over what they have up on the site reveals KPM records, de Wolfe LPs, Harmonic libraries, Selected Sound ones, The Roundtable LP, all things that are simple to license if you can be bothered.

Their schtick here seems to be "we'll digitize it, stick it up, take the money and put it in an account and wait for the artist / label etc to come along". Any thoughts forum people?
    Tune in to OST on Resonance 104.4FM. Saturdays at 4.30pm, and now podcast legally too! Film music, TV music, rare library recordings special guests and anything to do with soundtracks. Listen on-line at www.resonancefm.com

...... it's a "Hey let's bootleg until we get caught" kind of approach.
    A Sound Awareness

Comment

The entirely inhouse undertaking has taken six years, at a cost estimated by the Amoeba partners of around $11 million. The project employed some 200 people.

Presumably they took some legal advice before investing all this money and effort.

Actually maybe 199 of those people are lawyers.
      www.45cat.com
      http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Crooked.
        www.raysmith.bz

www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

Comment

Am I missing something here?
          They take 'old' music from labels that no longer exist. They sell it on line. They wait to see if anyone complains. If someone does they strike a deal. If not the money sits in an escrow account for an unspecified amount of time.
          Apart from the last bit it sounds suspiciously like putting out bootleg vinyl to me
          But as one of the Waxi posters pointed out if its good enough for google books......
          "Record collecting is no mere hobby, no innocuous leisurely diversion. It is a feverish passion bordering on dementia, driving those under the influence to irrational, compulsive, fanatical extremes."

Night of the Living Vinyl

Comment

It's a disgrace. An poorly judged concept from start to finish. I've already had to ask them to take down Bobby Williams album, which with all due respect they did promptly. A company of their standing should know better. I understand their shady rhetoric, but how they can justify bootlegging a bootleg is beyond me!
            http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk

http://www.fatcity.co.uk

Comment

We couldn't find C.J.; we couldn't find a label that put the record out," Henderson says. "But it's a compelling piece, (so) we said, 'This should be up.' "

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c+j+%22my+lady's+eyes%22&oq=c+j+%22my+lad y's+eyes%22&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

third hit. Tricky business google.

In the most litigious country with the most draconian copyright law you advertise the fact you are bootlegging in the biggest media publication and reveal some utterly incredible and gigantic figures on what you have spent on the project to every entertainment lawyer you could possibly reach. It's utterly bizarre.

So many of those labels take two seconds to find the rights owner - it takes about 3 seconds to find how to license vocalian and okeh for instance.
              Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzman Gerald View Post
                It's a disgrace. An poorly judged concept from start to finish. I've already had to ask them to take down Bobby Williams album, which with all due respect they did promptly. A company of their standing should know better. I understand their shady rhetoric, but how they can justify bootlegging a bootleg is beyond me!
                Yes, I think this is where I'm headed.
                Tune in to OST on Resonance 104.4FM. Saturdays at 4.30pm, and now podcast legally too! Film music, TV music, rare library recordings special guests and anything to do with soundtracks. Listen on-line at www.resonancefm.com

Comment

Truly baffling how anyone thinks this was ever a good idea, or how on earth it's ever going to make even a fraction of the invested money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Senor Trunk View Post
                    Their schtick here seems to be "we'll digitize it, stick it up, take the money and put it in an account and wait for the artist / label etc to come along". Any thoughts forum people?
                    This text is similar to what you find on the back of those mafia(?) bootlegs with the generic covers from the 70s. About royalties held in an account in New Jersey, etc.. I'l dig one out.
                    Dave Lee Roth, I Too Am Running With This Devil Of Which You Speak (sic)

Comment

if they rip a privte press, it sells loads and then the owner gets in touch and finally makes some money. isnt that a good idea?

but then that probably wont happen
                      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by highland cow View Post
                        The entirely inhouse undertaking has taken six years, at a cost estimated by the Amoeba partners of around $11 million. The project employed some 200 people.

Presumably they took some legal advice before investing all this money and effort.

Actually maybe 199 of those people are lawyers.
                        I still don't see how they ended up spending $11m. I could do them a quick website, some vinyl rips and add a paypal button for about £50

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Victor X Storm View Post
                          I still don't see how they ended up spending $11m. I could do them a quick website, some vinyl rips and add a paypal button for about £50
                          Are you being too trusting of what are, after all, bootleggers? I can easily say that this response took two hours to prepare, and was checked by six different consultants at a cost of £1200 an hour. It didn't, though.
                          SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
                            Are you being too trusting of what are, after all, bootleggers? I can easily say that this response took two hours to prepare, and was checked by six different consultants at a cost of £1200 an hour. It didn't, though.
                            Hmmm they are quite a trusted brand. It doesn't seem credible that they're holding all the cash in escrow though. I can't quite get my head around why they've bothered to do this unless they think they're going to be able to recoup the $11m plus more.

Comment

actually it sounds like what radioactive were doing, just putting it online instead of cds.

not sure what i think about it really. theres nothing stopping me doing it with my records though, apart from me being scared of getting sued
                              instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Working...
                              X