Weekend Finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Finds

One of my local charities just got an ex DJ's 45 collection in. Most of it (around 1000 records) is terrible chart pop acts but did manage to find the following for 10p each:

Eric B and Rakim - The Microphone Fiend
    Kurtis Blow - If I ruled the World
    Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Summertime
    Malcolm Mclaren - Double Dutch
    Eric B and Rakim - I know you got Soul (Double Trouble remix)
    Definition of Sound - Wear your Love Like Heaven
    Queen Latifah + De La Soul - Mama Gave Birth
    Sweet Tee - It's Like That Y'all
    Stetsasonic - Sally
    Whodini - Magic Wand
    Top Billing - My Thing
    Stretch - Why did you do it
    Atomic Rooster - Devil's Answer
    Patrick MacNee - Kinky Boots
    Brand New Heavies - Don't Let it go to your Head
    Brand New Heavies - Trunk Funk
    James Brown - Sex Machine
    George Shearing - Bossa Nova
    Michel Polnareff - Lipstick
    Jane Birkin - Je T'aime
    Malcolm McLaren - Buffalo Girls
    Crispy and Co - Get it Together
    Cozy Powell - And then there was Skin
    Big Audio Dynamite - Rush
    Isley Brothers - Fight the Power
    Mike Morton - Burning Bridges
    Mary Jane Girls - All Night Long
    John Holt - You Baby
    Desmond Dekker - Sing a Little Song
    Judge Dread - Christmas in Dreadland

Just bagged a Carole Lee-Scott LP from Oxfam...
    You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

arrghh i been traveling round for the past few weeks car booters and charity shops and nothing is turning up at all..

i got whistle - just buggin for 10p though so not to bad
      and a themes library record which i havent played yet.

but round here seems empty at the moment or im looking in the wrong places.
      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
        Just bagged a Carole Lee-Scott LP from Oxfam...
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

... I tried to give record hunting a rest this weekend and enjoyed a bit of a trek around London enjoying the sights, sounds (and smells) of the Big City...

.. but as I walked and perused the sights, my computer conspired to serve up Beau Dollar "Who Knows Where The Soul Trees Grow" 45 on King for a fiver. Nice.
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
            my computer conspired to serve up Beau Dollar "Who Knows Where The Soul Trees Grow" 45 on King for a fiver. Nice.
            Err, Sie... Sorry to disappoint you, I think you'll find you've got "Where The Soul Trees Grow" on both sides.

The weekend has been pretty good to me, although only one was found in the wild. From record fair, trades, shops, carboot and the net:

Klaus Doldinger - Doldinger (with Sitar Beat and other Paul Nero goodness)
            Nucleus - Alley Cat
            The Chequers - Check Us Out (cheers Lee!)
            Hymns A Swingin'
            unknown - Egg Roll (test pressing 45, next best thing to the acetate!)
            Kay Robinson - The Lord Will Make A Way Somehow (King 45 - JB production)
            DJ Format - Rap Machine 12"
            Six Organs Of Admittance - School Of The Flower
            Linda Hoyle - Pieces Of Me (dodgy re-issue)
            John Cale & Terry Riley - Church Of Anthrax (50p from the carboot)
            Manu Dibango - Soul Makossa LP
            Pete Winslow - Girl On The Testcard LP

Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Comment

Egg Roll? Is this being reissued by Jazzman? Has any more info been found on this record?
              records - one a week mixcloud
              records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One
                Err, Sie... Sorry to disappoint you, I think you'll find you've got "Where The Soul Trees Grow" on both sides..
                :doh: .. proves that you should always read the fine print, children...

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
                  :doh: .. proves that you should always read the fine print, children...
                  Schoolboy error... Still, I probably won the 'wrong' Vernon Garrett.

And I'm afraid I'll have to bail on tonight Sie, far too much to do before Thursday.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

No probs Rich, I realise you're up for a long *big* weekend in Scotland this weekend and a meet-up before was gonna be a rush...

I'll email you the V.G 45 title again...

Comment

I finally got round to buying my first records of the year this weekend - it's got to get better from now on.

'The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown' S/T - Polydor. Had to get it for the cover alone. Classic! I reckon he's responsible for the heavy metal falsetto as perfected by Deep Purple et al.

Theo Bickel 'A New Day' - Reprise. Another impulse purchase for the cover. I'm a sucker for infra red photos. Some Donovan and Beatles covers done rather politely - he's an actor/singer and apparantly co- founded the Newport Jazz Festival and I was hoping he'd go off on some Richard Harris style histrionics but alas ... no.

Sergio Mendez & Brasil 66 'Crystal Illusions' and 'Fool On The Hill' - A&M.

Peddlers 'Three In A Cell' - CBS. Always pick up a copy.

Nilsson 'The Point' - RCA. Nice little soundtrack to a cartoon about a boy with a flat head in a land full of pointy headded people.
                      Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumbles
                        Nilsson 'The Point' - RCA. Nice little soundtrack to a cartoon about a boy with a flat head in a land full of pointy headded people.
                        brilliant record, a childhood fave... make sure you pick up a copy with the comic book still inside though

anyone seen the film?

Comment

45s

The Hesitations – I’m Not Built That Way (Kapp)
                          Dee Edwards – All The Way Home (D-Town)
                          Timmy Thomas/Betty Wright – Ebony Affair (Glades)
                          The Mugs – Music To Think By (Jonny-A)
                          Juan Amalbert – Brok’tit Off In Harlem (Golden Earth)
                          Lenis Guess – Workin’ For My Baby (SPQR)
                          Intastella – Century/Strawberry Jam (MCA)

33s
                          World Of Twist – Quality Street (Circa)
                          Eric Burdon – Declares War (MGM)
                          Grant Green – Iron City (Cobblestone)
                          a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Spent the afternoon trawling the charities in the Poole area whilst my fiance went to a wedding fair with her sister and mother. Didn't turn up much, just a few (mostly crappy) Swedish folk LPs, but also a copy of a Swedish release of Abba's Greatest Hits - bought purely for the unusual (for Abba) cover art(and the fact that it was only 50 pence)!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xavier_Blake
                              bought purely for the unusual (for Abba) cover art(and the fact that it was only 50 pence)!!!
                              Purely for that? Abba is excellent Swedish popmusic with great production and incredibly catchy tunes. yeah there are a couple of dull tracks, but every Abba album has at least some worthwhile tracks. I picked up all their LPs for less than a £ and don't regret it one bit.
                              And... keep in mind that I'm from Sweden where we were (and still are though not as frequent) bombarded by som much ABBA I near threw up during my youth.
                              or maybe...
                              i'm just overenthusiastic about finally giving in this summer and picking all those records up for cheap and discovering that they weren't as horrible as i remembered...
                              "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                              and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X