math rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• math rock

I've been trying to make a mix for a good friend of mine who's in a 'math rock' group, if thats what you wana call them, I'm not sure if they are but hey.
    well you can judge for yourself my clicking here.

I'm trying to keep it to music thats at least 10 years old. But has a some connection with the math rock genre of today.

so far I have songs from

Love
    Battered Ornaments
    Can

and there's a couple more I only have on mp3, that I can't think of write now..

but I would be very greatful for any further recomendations

ta
    marc.

Er, what's Math Rock?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelonious MOke
      Love
      Battered Ornaments
      Can
      I have never considered these bands to be 'math rock'... ie really technical, virtuoso playing etc.

Try bands Like King Crimson, Mahavishnu Orchestra, maybe even Gentle Giant.
      www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

If you're referring to Math Rock, I assume you mean arty-ish rock bands, usually from America, often with degrees and occasionally not shit.

In which case: Golden Palominos
        The Feelies (their first album is superb and they look cool as fuck in their dweeb threads)
        Pylon (first LP)
        Television (first LP)
        Subway Sect - Ambition

er, loads more...
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
          I have never considered these bands to be 'math rock'... ie really technical, virtuoso playing etc.
          Battered Ornaments and virtuoso musicianship...
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Math rock = a bit like Slint AFAIK.

Some good recomendations so far (esp King Crimson and Can). Kinda depends on what you have available of course.

Otehr post punk stuff like Pil would be an obvious source too.
            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

math rock is just really a music jurno term fro bands in the Radiohead ilk, who don't play straight 4/4 rock, but like to be a bit more creative with the time signatures.

But I'm not looking for other 'math rock' bands. I was thinking more of bands, from the past, who have a similar sound to the bands that are labled 'math rock' of today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definately see/hear similarities between bands like Can and Radiohead.

Comment

math rock is just really a music jurno term fro bands in the Radiohead ilk, who don't play straight 4/4 rock, but like to be a bit more creative with the time signatures.

But I'm not looking for other 'math rock' bands. I was thinking more of bands, from the past, who have a similar sound to the bands that are labled 'math rock' of today. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can definately see/hear similarities between bands like Can and Radiohead.
                Ok heh

Couldn't this apply to just about all bands from 1968 - 70 T something!?!?!

What about some...
                Frank Zappa
                Henry Cow
                Van Der Graaf Generator

www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

What about "Multiplication" by Bobby Darin, or "Pocket Calculator" by Kraftwerk, do they count (geddit)?

Sorry, I realise you are trying to have a serious discussion about math rock here.....
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

I've been trying to make a mix for a good friend of mine who's in a 'math rock' group, if thats what you wana call them, I'm not sure if they are but hey.
                    well you can judge for yourself my clicking here.

I'm trying to keep it to music thats at least 10 years old. But has a some connection with the math rock genre of today.

so far I have songs from

Love
                    Battered Ornaments
                    Can

and there's a couple more I only have on mp3, that I can't think of write now..

but I would be very greatful for any further recomendations

ta
                    marc.
                    heheheh I know these chaps - just done a remix for 'em.
                    Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

Working...
                    X