Anyone help with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone help with this?

Just got this email from a friend - I've no bright ideas / suggestions, but I'm sure there must be loads . . .

"i know someone who is writing their thesis on mixtapes and she wants to know of any references of mixtapes that appear in songs or comics or films or anywhere. any ideas?"

Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Originally posted by Mr_Hopkinson
    Just got this email from a friend - I've no bright ideas / suggestions, but I'm sure there must be loads . . .

"i know someone who is writing their thesis on mixtapes and she wants to know of any references of mixtapes that appear in songs or comics or films or anywhere. any ideas?"

Hi-Fidelity ?
    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Hero
      Hi-Fidelity ?
      Surely not? I'm drawing a blank. The closest I can get is Beastie Boys references to MC battles, but they *must* mention mixtapes too, somewhere.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

c'mon guys, we can do better than this - we all must have some hip-hop somewhere that makes reference to "started on tapes back in '83" style lyrics... ?? surely!

... but sat at work right now, I'm all
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hero
          Surely not?
          Well, depends on how you define a mix tape.... if it has to be actually 'mixed' rather than 'end to end'-ed, then obviously no. Bu tthen that rules out alot of tapes !
          Matt Hero

Comment

There must be a mention in 'Scratch' - surely!

I think mixtapes were mentioned in the Channel 4 'History of Hip Hop' series - somebody was going on about double trouble tapes - Run DMC??

I'm also fairly sure they get a mention in David Toop's 'Rap Attack'.

They also definitely get a mention in the article on Emininem in this months Record collector.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Check out Jesper's film 'tape masters'

here

Comment

yeah but doesn't Mr Hopkinson mean references to mixtapes in conventional film culture? I'll get me thinking cap on.

What about Brighton Rock, where Dickie records one of them private records to confess to his girlfriend, but it gets stuck on the "I love you" part? Not a mix tap per-se, but some kind of relalted reference?

I'm sure I and others can think of better examples though. Surely some 'coming of age' film made in the last 25 years will have such instances... John Hughes?
                http://wakeupanddie.com
                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

...it's probably a given but there's a Beastie Boys song with a lyric 'and a good mixtape to put you in the right mood'... possibly from a track on Check Yr Head. I only remember it cause the Avalanches sampled it as a chorus on one of their earlier tracks.

Hope that helps ;-)
                  Jamie.
                  https://soundcloud.com/basicbasic

Comment

In Morvern Callar, both Alan Warner's book and Lynne Ramsey's film, there's the very effective use of the mixtapes made by the dead boyfriend as a mood-setter/device...
                    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I have it on good receommendation (ahem) that there is a reference to mix tapes in "Not Another Teen Movie" - presuming we're talking about the sort of mix tapes that blokes make for birds whose pants they want to get in to?????

Comment

Thanks everyone, top suggestions all
                        Laminated with Clarifoilâ„¢

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

The other day I was zapping through channels and stumbled upon a sitcom scene where a guy who looked a lot like Woody Harelson was talking for length about making a mixtape with heavy metal love songs for his girlfriend... a look in the TV guide - and it turned out to be some show called Will & Grace...

Also - a friend mentioned there might be a movie called something like "The Four Corners of Nowhere" where a mixtape was somehow involved in the plot...
                          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

There was an episode of 'Home To Roost' which featured Matthew prepping a mix-tape for a love target - probably had it stacked with the Alarm, Icicle Works etc if his musical taste was similar to his image
                            new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

I remember a scene in the 1997 film BOOGIE NIGHTS where Mark Wahlberg and his friend go to a drug dealers house to sell him some coke.
                              The dealer is playing a tape on his stereo and he tells the two guys about the new thing known as a "mix tape".

David S.
                              God bless Fatso.

Comment

Working...
                              X