Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell me what a "Brillo" is?

Hi VV's,

Excuse my ignorance, I'm pretty new to the forum, I love it to bits, its great.

However I've been scratching my head, cos I'm not entirely sure what a Brillo is? It sounds dead exciting... but what is it?

Are you able to get to london and get very drunk and meet a bunch of like minded individuals on a monday night?

Oh and play some records...do some trades...etc.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I live in London, I drink as regularly as I can. I would love to meet like minded individuals. Oh, and play/listen to records. Although, I would be worried my records weren't as rare as everyone elses.... is that what a brillo is?

Comment

Originally posted by Palma Rubia
        I live in London, I drink as regularly as I can. I would love to meet like minded individuals. Oh, and play/listen to records. Although, I would be worried my records weren't as rare as everyone elses.... is that what a brillo is?
        Nobody cares if the records you bring down cost £2 or £200 pound. Basically people bring down the sorts they've bought that month or fairly recently. Or sometimes I dig out old bits I've never brought down and give em a whirl.

*Edit - The only criteria is that the records are old and good. Most people play funky bits and bobs - Everything from death prog to soulful scorchers.

The venue is the salmon & compasses which is at the end of chapel market in Angel. The night is the 2nd Monday of the month and starts from about 7:30 till late.

So the next one falls on valentines day...time enough to ditch the bird and get it on!
        Last edited by sermad; 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM.

Comment

next one is Mon Feb 14th at the Salmon & Compass, nr. Angel, and it's usually 2nd Monday of the month, with people arriving from about 7 onwards (the Disque record shop is a few doors away if no-one's arrived yet...).

the Best Ofs are a chance to play funky stuff in front of a Friday or Saturday crowd instead of playing weirder stuff in front of a nearly empty Monday night bar... also looks like something regular might be happening at SMERSH in the East End...

edit - beaten to it by Sermad!

the best nerd-stampedes over to the decks have been been caused by weird cheap stuff i think. 50p but rare, or 50p and common if we're lucky!
          Last edited by bongolia; 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Sounds really cool? I'm assuming its a friendly vibe? I met RichHero and LeftHandCorner on Thursday and they were both really decent guys.

Hey, dont worry, my 45s are old and good...

I assume you guys be attending?

Comment

Yeah, but remember the Valentine's Night one is strictly for the Billy No-Mates crew. The Love Machine will be out w(h)ining and dining his Lay-dee.
              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Hahahah. You smoooothe operator.

Personally I think anyone that takes their bird out just because some c**t says its some special day needs their head examining!

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                  Personally I think anyone that takes their bird out just because some c**t says its some special day needs their head examining!
                  Yes, but try using that as an excuse to stay at home. Or go to Brillo.
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Take her out sunday and make a whole day of it - Some fit pub in the countryside - nice walks etc.

Then back for brillo! BOSH!

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                      Hahahah. You smoooothe operator.

If you need any other handy tips as to why you're single, then feel free to ask me, Serms.
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Get you!

Comment

Exacto to the above.

Getting nerdy with the records with beer in two is being 'Brillo'. It's officially an acronym for all the kinds of music that gets aired there, but we're past that now. Brillo is a way of life, or an internationally recognised lifestyle brand if you will.

And btw: Best of Brillo is becoming a monthly occurance at the Salmon too. No offence to Smersh, but it's a pokey smokey dive, with no control of the volume - and when you have all kinds of weird, poorly pressed records, you need the damn volume control!

Expansion of the Brillo franchise is always a good thing though...!
                          http://wakeupanddie.com
                          http://weirdgearnyc.com
                          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

No offence to Smersh, but it's a pokey smokey dive, with no control of the volume - and when you have all kinds of weird, poorly pressed records, you need the damn volume control!

Expansion of the Brillo franchise is always a good thing though...!

Nick, cause offence, never!!

Comment

So do you have to have been at Brillo before you can turn up with vinyl at Best of Brillo, or does it not work like that? I'm keen to go next Monday but despite Sermad's sound advice, I'm a little worried about the domestic situation should I attend. Charity begins at home, not at a Mencap vinyl crate, and all that.

Still...

Comment

Working...
                              X