Mor funkiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mor funkiness?

I can't remember whether I've posted this before or not. If I have, apologies. The memory's shrinking in adverse proportion to my paunch.

Just wondering what LPs were wroth nabbing on the MOR tip?

I'm thinking of stuff like:
    Peggy Lee (Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay)
    Tom Jones (Looking Out My Window)
    Phoebe Snow (Shakey Ground)
    Elkie Brooks (Spiritland/Rising Cost Of Love)
    Nancy Sinatra (What'd I Say)
    Diane Solomon (Sunshine Superman) (and cheers, Blighty, for this one)
    Shirley (Light My Fire)

I'm not expecting to find a Des O'Connor album with Get The Funk Outta My Face on it, but anything that moves its hips a little would be cool.

I keep buying Cher albums under the apparent misapprehension that there's some soul or funk somewhere, but I always seem to buy the duds. I know you're out there, Cher!
    http://www.djhistory.com

I'm sure you know this already, but Lulu has done some good tracks such as:
    Love Loves To Love Love
    Chocolate Ice
    Daytripper
    Feeling Allright

I would recommend 'Too Much Conversation' by Gilbert O'Sullivan if you were unaware of this one.

On the Sunshine Superman tip, am I alone in liking Anita Harris' version?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Well you can't Forget Liza Minelli's "The Singer" with the cover of Bill Withers "Use Me".

There is also an "S/T" LP by a Girl named Ginette Reno I found that I thought owuld be a much easier pick up in the UK than here in Southern California. It's on the London/Parrot Label and features production by Johnny Harris. There is a great rendition of "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood"

Oh how I wish I could find a copy of "Lookin' out of my Window"

Comment

Thanks for the tips (I've got the Lulus and Gilbert O'Sullivan). I've had exactly the same problem with that Tom Jones tune, Mr Guzzo. I've turned up about ten of his albums in the past five years, and none of them have had it on!

Comment

Helen Reddy -Hit The Road Jack
          Alan Sorrenti -Love is magic

Comment

I may be wrong, but I don't think that 'Looking Out My Window' ever appeared on an LP. Still I often see the single, so the next time I do I'll pick one up for you Mr Guzzo (and do you want one too LBG?)

The best one I've seen was in Belgium. It had a natty pic sleeve of old snake hips Jones himself. Jammin got that I think....
            He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

Yes, 'Looking Out My Window' never made it onto LP, it was just the b-side to one of his ballad singles.

There are a couple of other great Tom b-sides, 'Hide And Seek', and 'The Lonely One' (a Cliff Richard cover&#33 that are well worth seeking out too.

Was 'Looking Out.....' the only track Tom did with Keith Mansfield, by the way?

Comment

John Rowles - (Yes We) Can Can

He's the Maori Tom Jones.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 29 May 2003,13:46)]Yes, 'Looking Out My Window' never made it onto LP, it was just the b-side to one of his ballad singles.

Was 'Looking Out.....' the only track Tom did with Keith Mansfield, by the way?
                  I could have sworn I've seen a full length with a list of songs that were on the album, It was on some website I saw way back when. I guess it may have been a 45 picture cover with the title though. Has anyone else seen this?
                  Also another LP rumor I am not sure of: Isnt there at least one Engelbert Humperdink LP produced by Johnny Harris. I check every Humperdink LP I come across looking for this and as of so far I havent seen it. I thought I caught someone saying it once on an Ebay auction.

Comment

Have a look for;

Frank Sinatra - Songs - inc. Aqua de beber
                    Boz Scaggs - Slow Dancer - inc. Hercules

A couple for starters, whilst I get the brain cells working.

Comment

Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees - 'Lowdown'
                      Bette Midler - The Divine Miss M - 'Daytime Hustler' (i think that's the track title)
                      Lulu - 'The Boat That I Row'

i like Phoebe Snow's cover of 'Don't Let Me Down' with steel drums, but it's not really funky...

and check out Simeon's guides to funky Tom Jones and Elvis on the VV site...

Comment

There's supposed to be some funkiness on the Miracles By Engerlbert Humperdinck LP, though it's proved elusive to me so far in the UK (they're always on the Bay in the US).

Bette Midler's version of Do You Wanna Dance is also pretty nice and there's Barbara Streisand's Promises, which is more disco-y really, but I like it anyway.

Comment

Also hasn't Jack Jones had his moments?

Can't think of the two albums that my mate has with the tracks on them though.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 29 May 2003,21:46)]Yes, 'Looking Out My Window' never made it onto LP, it was just the b-side to one of his ballad singles.
                            So is this : http://www.allmusic.com/cg....j170waq just some kind of compilation thing then??
                            Errr..Hambone?

Comment

I'd guess that the All Music Guide entry for the Help Yourself album is, despite them quoting the original vinyl catalogue number, for a CD reissue, i.e. the US LP track listing supplemented by non-album a and b-sides.

Guzzo/LBG - if you're interested, I have spare copies of the UK Decca 45. Though far from mint, both are in decent condition and play fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X