condition of your collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condition of your collection

i'm interested to know how well v.v's look after their vinyl. i know theres alot of regular dj's here who wouldnt dream of playing reissues when theyre out, so your lp's and 7s must be suffering a touch.
    also how do the big funk dudes deal with 500quid styrene pressings, i noticed belson takes his own needles out.
    on a whole my collection takes a beating which makes many collectors whince.
    will someone ease my concience.
    kraut rock ist nicht tot!
    http://www.myspace.com/andyvotel
    http://www.myspace.com/voteldesign

...bugger. I was hoping someone wouldn't mention this. I've been having *internal debates* about this for ages now. When we were at Finders Keepers in Manc I too noticed that Funkmeister General Belson plays out with his own carts and it just really bought this home to me...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

hmm, plastic sleeves and new inners (if needed) on LPs (and both right-angled to stop dust). also makes records *much* easier to pull in and out on shelves.

new paper sleeves if needed and card sleeves (with name and titles written at the top) on 45s, right-angled to stop the 45 rolling out across the floor when i inevitably drop them...

and i always carry needles, slipmats, headphones and middles to be organised. if the slipmat's gone then you're screwed and they can be filthy.

add up what you spend in a year (or even a month!) and an order for sleeves at Covers33 and a couple of new styluses is nothing, compared to have nice condition records... and i think a 25 quid record is expensive - i don't understand why people would pay 100 quid plus for something and not worry about knackered needles in clubs.

a friend of mine learnt the hard way - played a set in a club with a chipped stylus - now all the records that were played on one of the TTs have a high pitched whine throughout...

Comment

I use my own needles too, Shure White Labels.

I keep my 45s in white card covers, with the inner sleeve adapted so both opening face the same direction. I do this for easy, fast access as when I'm Djing, I'll often change my mind, get epiphanies as to what will work better as the next record etc.

I try to give them a good clean from time to time, but that's hard to keep up.

I'll play whatever has the best sound and if that's the re-issue, even when I have the original, then so be it.

To address the original vs re-issue debate: I personally don't really care: that's more a collector's thing (and sometimes an ego thing). But I'm more likely to play originals because I want my sets to sound different, and playing non-comped tracks is one way to go about that. That's a general viewpoint though - not a golden rule.

Having lots of originals tends to be the side-effect of intensive research into your chosen genres, as any good DJ should do. So it's no surprise that the quality nights of any kind of music don't rely on re-issues.

And records getting trashed to me is an occupational hazard. It happens sometimes, but I'm a DJ first, collector second. Taking precautions is well advised though, especially with the needles, as any old idiot can be a DJ nowadays! Idiot as in "let's use the middle inset on the decks as an ashtray" if you've got people DJing on other nights at the same venue doing that, then god knows what they do to the needles there!

I don't write the tracks on the outer sleeves though. That's precisely the reason why I got identical white card for all my 45s - so I don't have to match them back up with their alloted sleeve again. You gotta be able to move when you DJ with 45s!

Oh, and I also want to comment on Belson's precautions. I've never know anyone to take as much care over his records as Greg does: every inner in its card cover the right way, then the card cover in a clear plastic protective sleeve inserted the right way

The discipline this must take is staggering.
        Last edited by Nick Cope; 10-02-2005, 11:53 AM.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
          And records getting trashed to me is an occupational hazard. It happens sometimes, but I'm a DJ first, collector second. Taking precautions is well advised though, especially with the needles, as any old idiot can be a DJ nowadays!
          ... first of all Nick, thanks for some advice straight from the top drawer...

... one of the places I played recently was absolutely *shocking* in terms of how the TT's were left, crap all over them etc etc and judging by the way the decks had been left in that annoying hip hop orientation i knew that the needles would have been royally rogered the night previous by some scratch-happy DJ with just a few battle records to worry about replacing.

... my internal debate rumbles on...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Discipline and good practices... that's what I need...

If I mention dedication, will Rich Hero automatically post up a picture of Roy Castle in full-on Record Breakers mode ??

Comment

... and judging by the way the decks had been left in that annoying hip hop orientation ...
              I prefer the decks to be like that and find it weird when they are the proper way round...and I don't even play hip hop (anymore)
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Seriously Lee..?? well I never... I always find that I'm "reaching over" when the decks are set that way...

Comment

I have prefer my decks like that too. Obviously you're getting old, Sie.

Comment

cheeky monkey!

Comment

Personally, I think all this only playing originals and not reissues is a pile of crap. What's all that about?
                      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I didn't think that anyone had been that elitist with their sentiments, LBG. I thought that the general feeling was "sometimes you want to play an OG copy as that's the only copy available to you.. or have I missed something?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cope
                          Oh, and I also want to comment on Belson's precautions. I've never know anyone to take as much care over his records as Greg does: every inner in its card cover the right way, then the card cover in a clear plastic protective sleeve inserted the right way

The discipline this must take is staggering.
                          Cheers, Nick - yeah it started early on in my DJing career when I had a pint spilled over my 'just played' pile, and when I used to house my rekkids just in a cardboard sleeve. Luckily, it was my mate that spilled the beverage, so he knew the importance of cleaning everything asap whilst I carried on playing.

*Every* collectable rekkid I have is housed in a plastic - LP or 45.

For my 45's, you have been paying attention, Mr. Cope!! If I ruin my copy of Reginald Milton, then I want it to be me, and not somebody else, so I take all the precautions I can. And when I started with the inner sleeve/cardboard sleeve/plastic system, it was quite hard - but when you get in the flow, I felt I started to work my set out much better, sometimes being 4 or 5 tracks ahead of what I'm already playing.

Everything I've taken out of the house gets an isopropyl clean every 3 months and my needles get changed every 6 months or dependent on how many sets I've played with them.

Comment

I like to chew ghat and then spit on my 45's. I find they buff up real well.

The problem with OG's is that if they are of the VG/VG+ variety, they may not sound so good, and I have problems paying for the EX/M- variety. So the OG/reissue debate is just about condition/money. We would all play all OGs if they were all mint and all cheap.

Comment

I have not DJ’d in 15 years, so probably fair to call me a collector…maybe one day I will make the effort to change this.

LP’s
                              All stored in a PVC covers, with the opening to the LP facing the same way as the opening of the PVC cover, thus once the LP is put in a cover, it will never be removed again. Unless sealed on purchase, each LP gets a new paper inner sleeve. The paper sleeve is stored with the opening of the paper sleeve facing upwards, to prevent records inadvertently rolling out.

12”s
                              The valuable/hard to find ones are stored using PVC covers as per LPs. I am in the process of storing the remainder in polythene covers. Storeage & paper sleeves as above.

7”
                              All 7s those without a picture sleeve are stored in white paper sleeves, inside white card covers. Again the paper sleeve is stored with the opening of the paper sleeve facing away from away from the opening of the card cover, to prevent records inadvertently rolling out. The records are stored with the opening of the card cover facing up & the opening of the paper sleeve facing up. Occasionally I find ones stored to the left, if so I chastise myself and change them accordingly!

If a 7” has a picture sleeve, then it also gets a PVC plastic sleeve set up as per LPs

I like the process of carefully removing the paper sleeve from the cover & then the record from the paper sleeve & carefully placing them on the turntable. Sad but true. But in my mind this process is part of the reason I chose to own music via a media that is innately inefficient. The experience I obtain by tapping a pad on my laptop (that is wirelessly connected to my hi-fi) whilst looking at a screen containing i-tunes is not the same. But I am preaching to the converted here I know!

Turntables
                              Set-up hip-hop style…comes from my early DJ days. I still bedroom DJ mix/scratch for my own entertainment, but only ever using a few battle records or re-issue 12s for scratching bought specifically for this purpose. I currently listen to my records on my 1200s’, but have one set of cartridges for listening & another set for the playing around/scratching etc. This means each time I go from one to the other, changing cartridges & arm set-up (unsuprisingly I know these settings by heart now!).

Consequently, my aim this year is to purchase an audiophile turntable for listening only purposes.

I am about to face my pet hate. Moving home. Although my record collection is very small by comparison to the vast majority here (1,000 items), the thought of moving it with the potential for damage fills me with dread.

The above probably does not give you much comfort! But I am one sad individual.
                              www.sliderecordshop.com

Comment

Working...
                              X