Off Centre - The John Cameron Quartet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Centre - The John Cameron Quartet

I've noticed that this record has been hitting the £100 or there about's mark on ebay recently, thing is, musically, is it worth the money?

I'm considering hunting one down and going for it regardless of price as I'm a big, big fan of all the players involved on this record.

I've read that a lot of people class it as a one tracker(take they mean for funk/groove Troublemaker), but is it a great jazz album, as that's what i'm hoping for?

Opinions please!
    www.sundaramusic.com

wouldn't drop that much cash on it.

it isn't strictly a single tracker, but troublemaker is definitely the stand out track on it.

classic late 60s brit jazz, moving towards the free thing some of the time, and as you said, the line-up is stellar (seem to remember someone wearing an emperor ming/ sermad's avatar style 'tache and matching eyebrows on the back of the sleeve). danny thompson, JC, tony carr and harold mcnair.

round these parts, however, harold mcnair's flute solo on troublemaker is enough to excuse just about any noodlings.

Comment

Has 'Troublemaker' been comped anywhere?

Comment

I think maybe on one of those 'Mighty Mellow' boots a few years back? hang on, maybe that was 'The Hipster'...hmm, not sure
        We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

You can get the us pressing for about £50.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
            You can get the us pressing for about £50.

Where?
            www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

ebay.
              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

what label is the US pressing? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Comment

Originally posted by francis
                  what label is the US pressing? I don't think I've ever seen one.
                  Ironically, it's called London.
                  www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
                    I've noticed that this record has been hitting the £100 or there about's mark on ebay recently, thing is, musically, is it worth the money?

I'm considering hunting one down and going for it regardless of price as I'm a big, big fan of all the players involved on this record.

I've read that a lot of people class it as a one tracker(take they mean for funk/groove Troublemaker), but is it a great jazz album, as that's what i'm hoping for?

Opinions please!
                    Other Deram LPs are stronger, but I quite like "Dafina Quarida" as well as "troublemaker". The US press is about but still not too common.

Comment

forget the LP and look for the majestic UK 45 issue, just looking at this object of recorded music perfection makes me haappeeee!
                      and, bizarrely, still only fetches 40 odd quid which is scandalous considering the lame funk record which are no rarer yet go for 10 times the amount

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
                        I seem to remeber that troublemaker was comped on mojo 5
                        Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Originally posted by Blighty
                          It was compiled on 'Dancefloor Jazz Vol.5: Sunshine Of Your Love' LP.
                          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton
                            I think maybe on one of those 'Mighty Mellow' boots a few years back? hang on, maybe that was 'The Hipster'...hmm, not sure
                            'The Mighty Mellow' was the title of one of the 'Mood Mosaic' LP series, but I don't think Troublemaker featured on any of them. 'The Hipster' did however, on the imaginatively titled LP, 'The Hipster'..
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

mik you great twat, where did you get that? I've been looking for one for ages and haven't turned one up, let alone for £40. why don't you just give it to me. and a copy of the hipster 45 while you're at it. and original peter too

on this subject, what other brit jazz masterpieces found their way onto 45s?
                              Theres another westbrook deram 45 ('can't get it out of my mind'..cheers divine) which is jolly good, but not really in the same league as those mentioned, there's Garrick's 'anthem' which is more in Ep territory, but other 45 issues of album tracks... Oh theres a Garrick 45 off Mr. Smiths apocalypse, but I don't know what that LP sounds like (anyone?). But are there any 45s off Black Marigolds and things like that? None booked, but thats not always reliable

Comment

Working...
                              X