World in Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World in Action

Thought this might be a good place to ask if anyone knows if the world in action theme is available on anything?
    Tried various sights with no luck (including Ladyboys; where there was a rumour it existed).
    I would have thought it must have been available at some time as it was a popular 'show'..?
    All i know is its by Jonathon Weston and is called 'Jam for world in action'..I'd beinterested to know if anyones heard anything else hes done. google throws up a few possible 'proggy' productions..

Thanks in advance..

Pete

On reflection its a bit of a cheeky first post but i'll try to contribute if i can!

Comment

Originally posted by pc1
      On reflection its a bit of a cheeky first post but i'll try to contribute if i can!
      http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stevehack...rogrammes.html

Not sure if the one you mean is in there!?

www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

I've asked about this before and I think several others wondered about it too. Wooly, or someone else with a large part of their brain partitioned for record release storage, said it doesn't exist on vinyl.
        http://wakeupanddie.com
        http://weirdgearnyc.com
        http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

There's only one commercial recording, on the Granada Studio Tour souvenir LP - it's a cover version, and to be honest it's not that good.

I still live in hope that one day some enlightened record company will recognise the demand for this track and put it out (maybe as a double A-side with the University Challenge theme tune!)

Comment

World In Action on vinyl

I've been after this track for bloody years! I can tell you that it definitely was released on vinyl, because I remember a DJ playing it in a pub in Birmingham about 16 years ago. I think I remember him telling me the album title, but I was drunk, didn't write it down and have never come close to a copy since. I heard that it was available on an album called the Granada 25th Anniversary Celebration, but I've never seen a copy. What amazes me is that what is clearly one of the best theme tunes of the 70s never made it onto any of the compilations of the time, seemingly not even the soundalike orchestral ones?

Comment

Originally posted by paolo
              I've been after this track for bloody years! I can tell you that it definitely was released on vinyl, because I remember a DJ playing it in a pub in Birmingham about 16 years ago. I think I remember him telling me the album title, but I was drunk, didn't write it down and have never come close to a copy since. I heard that it was available on an album called the Granada 25th Anniversary Celebration, but I've never seen a copy. What amazes me is that what is clearly one of the best theme tunes of the 70s never made it onto any of the compilations of the time, seemingly not even the soundalike orchestral ones?
              i either have it or one of my mates has it. it done the rounds here back in the day. i'm almost sure of it. perhaps it was a cover but i don't think so.
              i'll make a few enquiries tonite.
              MODZ
              Hero No.9
              Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
              THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
                i either have it or one of my mates has it. it done the rounds here back in the day. i'm almost sure of it. perhaps it was a cover but i don't think so.
                i'll make a few enquiries tonite.

Sargio

If you can lay your hands on one of them, I'll make it very worth your while. You knows dat.

A
                it's time for some heartbeats

Comment

Oooooh - interesting! A Granada 25th Anniversary LP would have been released around 1983, though it's the first I've heard of one.

All the usual reliable sources say it's never made it out of the Granada vaults, so this is a real find - if anyone can get hold of one (and do me a copy!) I'd be very grateful (and have a big grin on my face like this chappie here > )

Comment

fear not my current affairs, if i find it you shall have it.
                    U knows it.

back in my mispent mod youth the music scene was awash with such noise. i'm talkin' early-mid eighties...lord have mercy.
                    MODZ
                    Hero No.9
                    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

That Granada album

The 25th anniversary thing wasn't just word of mouth either, I found it in a library reference book, and the track named was the 'Jam For World In Action' by Jonathan Weston. Does anyone know if that version is the real deal, original jam, or an 80s remix? And was that lovely acoustic fingerpicking from the end of the programme part of the fadeout from the original track, or another track entirely? So many questions, so few answers.

Comment

licks - LIPS.

Comment

Daydream

I like to think that it was one big, 17 minute track, from a preposterous '74 triple gatefold monster, which was then pressed as a double-A 45 entitled 'Jam for World In Action Parts I & II'. The whole stock of album and single were then lost to the world in the disastrous fire at EMI's Poland St Pressing Plant in the long hot summer of 76... Ignore me, it's a quiet day at work.

Comment

Originally posted by paolo
                            And was that lovely acoustic fingerpicking from the end of the programme part of the fadeout from the original track, or another track entirely? So many questions, so few answers.
                            It's part of the full track, I believe, but I suspect the opening credits may have been recorded as a seperate section. The Derek Hilton cover version includes both, but as I said, it's not that great.

I think the guy who played guitar on the Studio G Beat Group sessions mentions Jonathan Weston in the Licorice Soul interview - I wonder if it's him on guitar? Weston was also associated with Procul Harum in the 60s, though I can't remember how.

Comment

Weston

A quick dig around suggests he was their manager

Comment

Working...
                              X