The Residents - crash course

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Residents - crash course

I'm seeing The Residents on Saturday night and I know virtually nothing of their music. I have a couple of albums a friend copied for me on CD somewhere but I gave 'em a cursory listen, found 'em "too wacky" and put 'em away. What am I missing? What are their best tuness? Any help appreciated!
    "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Every year or so, I enjoy being puzzled by Third Reich N Roll:

N-R-G Crisis Blues is their catchy one (esp. half way through) - from their first album, which I've no longer got. Found it a bit annoying.

I'd love to see them live though - but am under the impression that you'd be seeing a conceptual performance of whatever show they're touring at the mo? Would like to know what it's like though.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

The 'Commercial Album' is interesting - 40 tracks - all 1 minute long. 'Diskomo' is their funky moment - I think it was played on the Balearic scene at one time. I would also second '3rd Reich and Roll'. Also seek out 'Nibbles' for a sort of career overview from around 1980.

I 'saw' them live once - they played behind a big sheet whilst geezers dressed up as moles (primarily) danced about in front of the sheet. The band did come from behind the sheet at the end but they were wearing the giant eyeballs...a strange night.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

!

I really enjoy their nightmarish, dissonant dismemberment of 'Satisfaction' - an evil tune.

Comment

I saw the show on Tuesday night... It done well enogh for you to know none of the back catalogue.

It was nothing like the last time I saw them in 2003 - now stripped back to laptop set, guitar and the Randy on vocals...

Agree with both Third R'n'Roll and Commercial Album - Like this Mole one - not to be confused with the Mole show

"It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Thanks all. I'm enjoying Third Reich n' Roll at the moment. Not as annoying as I remembered them.
            "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

For me, it's all about Duck Stab.

Eskimo sometimes makes the grade if I fancy listening to something particularly silly and alienating, but I do prefer the Diskomo disco version:

Comment

I'm loving these Duck Stab tracks. Even the annoying vocals seem to be right at home in 'em....

Comment

I like the Duck Stab stuff. Their most commercial moment (that I'm aware of) is their take on Kawliga - reminds me a bit of something else though

I think the post-modern in-joke thing is Hank Williams was married to someone called Billie Jean.

Comment

If I was going to see Residents I wouldn't bother listening to get familiar with them beforehand as I'd view it more as a piece of performance art than a musical concert. That being said - here's one of my fave songs:

From Fingerprince.
                    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Aforementioned Mark Of The Mole is a big favourite. God In Three Persons is the one I return to more often though, I doubt they will play anything off it though.

Comment

I haven't listened to them for ages. I can't think of any other music that is so unclassifiable / a thing unto itself
                        Duck Stab is an excellent portal into their unique world and Not Available used to haunt me with this 'earworm'

Remember - IGNORANCE OF YOUR CULTURE IS NOT CONSISERED COOL
                        Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

always enjoyed there po-faced bizarrist aesthetic - well I imagine they're po-faced behind the eyeballs. I think there was a bit of a fuss a few years back when a live pic suggested one of them was a woman. and there's the album where their liner notes has a line for 'special guest star' followed by a blank space - always makes me laugh. I heard their only official comment was an epxression of regret after the death of snakefinger, is that still true?

anyway, I've got a soft spot for act of being polite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18GBiJhI4Jw

and enjoyed inflicting Eskimo on the record club fullas. went down suprisingly well.

they played here a while back and some bastard nicked one of the eyeballs - it's never shown up again as far as I know. they made do with a skull mask.

Comment

For me, it'd be Duck Stab to begin with, followed by 3rd Reich & Satisfaction and then on to the Harry Partch / industrial gamelan vibe of Fingerprince
                            Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

Comment

Originally posted by AlanP View Post
                              they played here a while back and some bastard nicked one of the eyeballs - it's never shown up again as far as I know. they made do with a skull mask.

Comment

Working...
                              X