Do you think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think...

... that cheesy 80s (synthesizer, disco drums, slapp bass, slick production) library music will ever some time in the future be considered hip and cool the way we think 70s ditto is? Are people always gonna look back to the 70s for cool sounds?

What about the 90s? Are people gonna hunt production CDs from the 90s or the 2000s 20-30 years from now?
    "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
    and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Originally posted by Brainbomb
    ... that cheesy 80s (synthesizer, disco drums, slapp bass, slick production) library music will ever some time in the future be considered hip and cool the way we think 70s ditto is? Are people always gonna look back to the 70s for cool sounds?

What about the 90s? Are people gonna hunt production CDs from the 90s or the 2000s 20-30 years from now?
    giorgio moroder is the man.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

late 70's/early 80's slick slap bass library is certainly starting to pick up in interest. I like it if its either belgian/french or italian!

Check things on RKM and anything by Yan Tregger. I have a library by him called 'Catchy' which I think I got off Boney. Its full of lovely slap which normally I would run a mile from - But this is great.

The only big sample I can can think of is 'Solstice' by brian bennett. I think Mark B & Blade yoinked this. On the Fantasia library on Bruton but it also got a proper release. Really late (78) - slick as but just great to boot. Probably the only track on a Bruton I like!
      Last edited by sermad; 16-02-2005, 11:32 AM.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Great topic... I was only thinking this myself yesterday. For so long I've passed on 80's R&B, Funk, Soul LP's that inevitably sounded 'shit', yet I'm finding that now when I hear this stuff I actually quite like it... some examples on my Summer swap CD for sure.
        Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by SARGE
          giorgio moroder is the man.
          Actually - I've been thinking avout Moroder for quite some time... I remember hearing something I kinda liked a few years ago, and I also recall him doing soundtracks to some movies and I think I remember some of that sounded good...
          Could you give me some hints to albums that are easy to find for cheap but worth checking out as a good introduction to his sound?
          Or anywhere on the net that that has some sound samples? (I don't use ant file exchange programs, otherwise I bet there's a ton of stuff I could download...)
          "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
          and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

I just picked up his 'Midnight Express' soundtrack in me lunch time... complete gamble mind.
            Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

no I don't think so I think house music will be the big thing 12"
              small labels.... from different countries

Comment

Actually - I've been thinking avout Moroder for quite some time... I remember hearing something I kinda liked a few years ago, and I also recall him doing soundtracks to some movies and I think I remember some of that sounded good...
                Could you give me some hints to albums that are easy to find for cheap but worth checking out as a good introduction to his sound?
                Or anywhere on the net that that has some sound samples? (I don't use ant file exchange programs, otherwise I bet there's a ton of stuff I could download...)
                Quite a few dug the man out to work with him as he was the darling for a while. I mean who doesn't like 'i feel love'
                have a dig thru this.
                http://home.tiscali.se/musicworld/moroder.html

keep it electropop
                s
                MODZ
                Hero No.9
                Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

On the first point, not for a while I hope - I love that stuff, got loads of it, but always want more.

As for the second, I reckon some of the Lo library CDs (featuring, among others, the work of a certain King Of Woolworths ) will be sought after at some point - they're pretty good, actually!

Comment

The james taylor quartet libraries are well worth picking up.
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Some of the straight up electronic Eighties library records are very sought after by people who love their vintage electonica. They don't go for huge amounts of money yet but no doubt they will.

Comment

?!

I like some late 70's / early 80's stuff. There are a few good soundtracks. . .my faves being most of the early John Carpenters (Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, Escape from N.Y.) and Phantasm, which is beautifully composed and very inventive. There's also a cheesy but great version of German John Carpenter covers by "The Splash Band". There's also a 12" single by them too. . . it has an ultra-cheesy vocal version of the Escape from NY theme with the lyric "Snake Plissken. .. He's the Man!" and a disco reworking of the Assault on Precinct 13 theme.

In about 30 years, people will realise this is a pioneering work of genius and it'll go for $$$$$$. Honest 'guv.

Lots of underground - and some mof the more mainstream hip-hop/rap/electro stuff from this era is already making $$$$. Ditto for choice items of hardcore/ravey stuff and also the rather overrated output of the Mo'Wax stable. Or anything which has the words "DJ Shadow" printed on it. Kind of alchemy that one - seems to turn lots of shit into gold on the Ebay anyway. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Viva Chiba
                          Lots of underground - and some mof the more mainstream hip-hop/rap/electro stuff from this era is already making $$$$. Ditto for choice items of hardcore/ravey stuff and also the rather overrated output of the Mo'Wax stable.
                          I have a friend how is putting three digits numbers for white label Detroit stuff in eBay. He told me that specially early Detroit house/techno stuff is making huge $$$$$, actually those has been really sought after since late 90s. Also some Chicago stuff and of course all the pre-house electro stuff and different kind of experimental classics... Unfortunately I don't know shit about those.

Comment

Working...
                          X