Al hirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al hirt

How does it sound like? And what is a fair price for it?

Thanks

"Soul In The Horn" is a good album, three or four good tracks, a couple I like to play "pitched right up", much to certain people's annoyance.

Very parpy in parts, but give me this LP over most of Maynard's squealings anyday...

Price - I dunno... I got mine for $6 a couple of years back as part of a job-lot bought set-sale from the US. The only other person I know who's got a copy is Rich Hero (??)

Rich - can you help ??
    If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Me got one too!

You used to be able to pick this up fairly easily if you went stateside. Now the bugger has completely dried up.

In the UK, the cheapest I've seen this go for is £15 - the priciest was £50. I haven't seen one of these for private sale for some time so I'ld say it's a fluctuating title. ie. if the seller knows what he's got, expect closer to £50, if not then you might score it for less than a tenner.

The bay isn't worth mentioning - prices have been all over the place (natch).

Solid enough album, that I should play more often - he does enjoy a good parp though, does our Al.

Comment

Spot on Belson - esp your comments about "The Bay"...

...he does enjoy a good PARP! does our Al, can anyone recommend any of his other LP's.... ??

...oh, and why the $$ heat on "Soul In The Horn" ?? Has someone sampled it ??
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll pick it up today! If I don't feel it, I'll put it on the trades board. 1967 sounds a bit early for me..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ 30 May 2003,11:40)]"Soul In The Horn" is a good album, three or four good tracks, a couple I like to play "pitched right up", much to certain people's annoyance.
            Just leave 'em be ! They'd have played 'em faster if they'd wanted 'em faster ! tehehe

I do believe De La sampled it, no ?
            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

I think beastie boys has sampled it..
              Sorry, that was wrong...

Comment

Yes, harlem hindoo, De La break - the only reason why its price is high... i like that tune though
                http://wakeupanddie.com
                http://weirdgearnyc.com
                http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] ]"Just leave 'em be ! They'd have played 'em faster if they'd wanted 'em faster ! "

hehe!

Towny - you have Action Man Eagle Eyes that can spot the green light on my 1210 pitch control from a hundred yards!

And, after our meet last night - it also appears you have Action Mans's haircut too !

Comment

don't touch that dial. I done buckled me wheel on the way home again ! doh, i can't bunny hop them curbs no more.
                    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Yep, Del La sampled Harlem Hindoo on Ego Trippin (Pt 2) off Buhloone Mindstate, and it's a lovely track all the way. And there's a few more tunes that are more 'dancefloor friendly' IMO - nice LP. I got mine in a trade from Groove Merchant (and I believe Alan did too?) last year and he had it stickered at $20.

Everything I've heard said indicates that this is the 'one' by Al and there's not too much of note on his other LP's (which therefore turn up much more often and have confoundingly similar '...In The Horn' titles).
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I remember about 4-5 years ago when I first got the net there was a US breaks site and they said something like 'This one pops up all the time for a dollar or two'. So it must have been well common at one stage, I'v only seen 1 copy for sale in the UK, Jazzman was selling it for about £18 (again some years ago).

For me it a 2 tracker, with 'harlem hindoo' and 'Honey pot' both being very nice.
                        I got my copy from a guy in the state for a copy of 'Quiller'.

peace
                        parkz
                        www.soundclick.com/bboyparkz

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]I done buckled me wheel on the way home again ! doh, i can't bunny hop them curbs no more.

... and there's me thinking that "old BMX Champions never lose their touch" !!!

Comment

Picked up this record today, and it's soo damn nice!! Plus I got it for 10£ Harlem Hindoo is the track for me! Just a nice moody summertrack

Comment

The record is really hard to find over here in the U.S. I was just in at Groove Merchant last weekend however and Chris had a copy, think it was in the $20-$25 range. And yes, it is the ONLY Al Hirt record worth giving a look at.
                              http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...k-LP%20Covers/

Comment

Working...
                              X