New vs Old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New vs Old

I don't mean 'New School vs Old School'... but I was thinking, with the amount of stuff bought each week / month, how long do you guys spend listening to new purchases... and how much time is left for listening to older favourites?

Many on here buy a LOT more than me... I manage to get a couple of LP's a week on average, but probably only spend a couple of hours a day listening to my tunes. I'm finding my collection getting bigger and bigger, but this makes it harder to decide what to listen to... it's easier just to stick with the new purchases.

I also find that some times I will have a pile of stuff I've not listenend to yet, but still I will buy more!
    Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Originally posted by Martin Lovegrove
    I don't mean 'New School vs Old School'... but I was thinking, with the amount of stuff bought each week / month, how long do you guys spend listening to new purchases... and how much time is left for listening to older favourites?

Many on here buy a LOT more than me... I manage to get a couple of LP's a week on average, but probably only spend a couple of hours a day listening to my tunes. I'm finding my collection getting bigger and bigger, but this makes it harder to decide what to listen to... it's easier just to stick with the new purchases.

I also find that some times I will have a pile of stuff I've not listenend to yet, but still I will buy more!
    Its a curse alright - and before you know it you've started selling records so you can buy mroe without the space/time issue becoming too much of a catastrophe. Or so I hear.

Some people can wade through lots of records quickly and mark half of them for elimination based on a few needle drops. Some of us mere mortals find that sort of thing more difficult.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Mister H.E. loves the Cheeky Girls !

.. talking of old school, check this little lot out that I picked up last night - managed to final plug a few very obvious gaps in my 80's hip hop collection... and, bizarrely enough, at least 3 LP's that I once owned but sold when I was 16...

MASSIVE thanks! to Hadrian Elephant who gave me second dibs on a pile of 250 hip hop records that he had access to... ... mostly US originals, but there's the odd UK issue lurking in there... all from 1984 to 1989..

MC Shan "Down By Law" (Cold Chillin')
      Def Jef "Just A Poet With Soul" (Delicious)
      NWA "Straight Outta Compton" (Ruthless)
      Mantronix "The Album" (10 Records)
      Various "Tommy Boy Greatest Beats" (Tommy Boy)
      Just Ice "Back To The Old School" (Fresh)
      Eric B & Rakim "Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em" (MCA)
      Run DMC "King Of Rock" (Profile)
      Various "Electro 3" (Street Sounds)
      Various "Electro 4" (Street Sounds)
      Stetsasonic "On Fire" (Tommy Boy)

.. nice! so, there's a weekend's worth of listening already! Add to this the various bits from last weekend that I didn't listen to coz of the 'Burg jaunt, I can testify how things quickly pile up ! (note the "trying to get back on topic" attempt at the end there!)
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup
        Some people can wade through lots of records quickly and mark half of them for elimination based on a few needle drops. Some of us mere mortals find that sort of thing more difficult.
        ... we like to think we're good at that - but you get found out real quick if you continually decide to eliminate based on super-quick Shaolin sword swipes... I can testify to that... !
        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture
          ... we like to think we're good at that - but you get found out real quick if you continually decide to eliminate based on super-quick Shaolin sword swipes... I can testify to that... !
          I always feel I have to play each record all the way through at least once. Obviously with some cheesy crap this is a long and painful process but you never know when Ray Coniff will suddenly get funky for a 4 bar break between endless choral crap....

I think this is a triumph of hope over experience.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

dam straight my collection overtook me some years back as did my use of cleaning products round my hut, but what i do now and then is take a couple of days off work, get me some pretty green and superglue myself to the headphones with a bucket at the ready. Its always a real treat to sift thru the stuff you put to one side some years ago!
            Another tip is to stick an album on when your strung out and can't be holed to move and put another one on, that way you hear the lot.......well ya gotta flip it but sometimes friends call.

its hard when you dj regulary also as ur set is changing even faster with new noise and u invariablr get a little cheesed with the same stuff.

oh the woe of it all.
            MODZ
            Hero No.9
            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Work from home - stereo in your office, 7 - 8 hours of music required each day to get you through the mountains of paperwork...works for me!

As for the listen-in-full vs needle-drop approach to elimination, I'm an impatient man - will drop on every track a couple of times, but unless something grabs me, it's gone. I figure anything tucked away in a track I might've missed is compensated by all those hours of listening to rubbish I've saved myself...but then, I buy purely to listen, and am looking for listenable LPs, so even if breaks or loopable snippets do go AWOL in the rush it's not a biggie.

Right now, I'm halfway through a report, and side one of David Moses Group's 'Golden Trumpet' LP on Saga (90p in Rob's yesterday afternoon - hooray!). Also have Crazy World Of Arthur Brown LP and Ellington's 'Far East Suite' lined up, which should get me close to lunchtime
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

... another good way to rediscover your oldies is... invite a mate around! They'll always have a root thro' your dusty shelves and pull out an LP...

- "What's that like Sie ?"

- "Oh man, that's a bad LP... ain't listened to it in years..."

- "owt any good on it?"

- "can't remember, i think there's one good track on it..."

- "stick it on then..."

sorted !

Comment

'Sie what's on the other side of that Ambassadors 45?'...
                  You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Indeed. You can add about a dozen more records to that list, bro...

Comment

The lady of the house can result in pulling out some interesting bits, when she asks for "something to listen to...don't know what I feel like, not too raucous or quiet, or too upbeat, or too slow, nah, not really in the mood for funky, or jazzy, or folky, or rock, just, you know, a record...got anything like that?".

Usually, we have...
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I used to buy a lot of hip hop/beats when I first started out but then I was a dirty student and I was djing a lot. Now I dont dj, so generally I dont buy anything like that anymore.

I do like some of the new folk coming out - some folk are into six organs and I am too. I highly recommend the white magic ep on drag city. Its brill.

Some of the musicmakers on here do some incredible stuff. Modesty certainly comes in spades on here because wooly, dr rubberfunk, mr h, votel, ben h all make amazingly good music. (sorry if Ive forgotten anyone).

You should all check out dr rubberfunks remix of skalpel thats out now on ninja tune. If you don't know, skalpel sample the arse of polish jazz records. Its like novi singers and jerzy milian just chopped to bits - Some might say its lazy but I like it as I know and respect the originals so I can see what they are doing.

But dr rubberfunks remix takes it on and adds a wallop of funk and its way better than the original.
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I'm finding my collection getting bigger and bigger, but this makes it harder to decide what to listen to... it's easier just to stick with the new purchases.
                          I've found the CD swaps have really focussed my listening and motivated me to revisit old purchases and, in some cases, hear tunes I never knew I owned. Obviously they haven't been incentive enough to trawl through the pile of shite waiting for a listen before I chuck it out...
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                            You should all check out dr rubberfunks remix of skalpel thats out now on ninja tune. If you don't know, skalpel sample the arse of polish jazz records. Its like novi singers and jerzy milian just chopped to bits - Some might say its lazy but I like it as I know and respect the originals so I can see what they are doing.

But dr rubberfunks remix takes it on and adds a wallop of funk and its way better than the original.
                            So his remix from the Vinyl Vulture Skalpel battle we had got a full release. Nice one, Dr Rubberfunk. Mr Hopkinson's should have gotten a release too. That's a very clever remix. There's definitely a lot of talent here. Sadly not of the female kind.

Comment

Originally posted by sermad
                              If you don't know, skalpel sample the arse of polish jazz records. Its like novi singers and jerzy milian just chopped to bits - Some might say its lazy but I like it as I know and respect the originals so I can see what they are doing.
                              Agreed,

it was really interesting hearing the seperate parts they used and the track the made out of them, I really liked it, the samples were so nice that they didn't really need any chopping up or anything, just arranging nicely.

I've been meaning to check out their LP, is it as good as this track?
                              www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X