Circle of sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle of sound

I've always been wondering about this "label". What's the deal with it?

They are Circular and have sound on 'em.

Sorry Tee i couldn't resist that one
    SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Chris - haven't you got the full info on this Polydor subsid ??

...I'm sure you told me a story one time...
      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

err..nope...not guilty...there was some chat about it a while back round these parts tho'...

Comment

I *really* need to know more about circle of sound. Asap too

The amazing fountain of knowledge known as Lord Thames said they were Polydors Easy Listening orginally but then changed to Circle of Sound. Other than that I know nowt.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Amazing fountain of knowledge? Moi? I&#39;m most flattered&#33;

As far as I&#39;m aware, there&#39;s nothing terribly special about it - I think it was just a generic branding excercise under which they bracketed a whole bunch of their easy listening LPs.

You may notice some early 70s Polydor discs by the likes of James Last, Kai Warner etc, bear a logo saying &#39;Easy Listening&#39; - well my theory is that &#39;Circle Of Sound&#39; was just a replacement for that. The &#39;Circles of Sound&#39; sampler (the only place where most people can get an affordable Certain Lions And Tigers track) bears the legend &#39;another Easy Listening album&#39;, which suggests to me either they were in the process of phasing the brand out and this album is the transitional phase, or I&#39;m completely barking up the wrong tree&#33;

The only written information I can find on the ethos of &#39;Circle Of Sound&#39; is in the sleeve notes of the &#39;Take It Easy&#39; compilation, which says they were &#39;aiming at a special quality of artist, music and recording&#39;. Not much to go on there.

There&#39;s no real logic to CoS, they weren&#39;t given special catalogue numbers or anything like that, so I think it was just a branding excercise for certain &#39;prestige&#39; easy listening releases - though it&#39;s not entirely clear what the criteria for inclusion in the elite &#39;Circle Of Sound&#39; is&#33;

I suggest Sermad makes this one of the questions in an interview with a certain person that he&#39;s doing soon......

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 30 May 2003,13:18)]The &#39;Circles of Sound&#39; sampler (the only place where most people can get an affordable Certain Lions And Tigers track) bears the legend &#39;another Easy Listening album&#39;
              ah - so does the Certain Lions and Tigers album itself - I&#39;ve never noticed that before.
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Well, that&#39;s my theory down the khazi then&#33;&#33;

But I think my statement about it being just a branding excercise still holds water..........

Comment

The Polydor &#39;Easy Listening&#39; tag does seem more or less interchangeable with the &#39;CoS&#39; one - &amp; some of the Easy output (like James Last, some of the Peter Thomas etc) isn&#39;t branded with either. The CoS releases really are a mixed bag - reissues of Jobim, John Barry, church organ/hymn LPs, funky lounge...doesn&#39;t seem to be any logic there at all. But on previous threads, it&#39;s been suggested that &#39;CoS&#39; was designed to appeal to the audiophile market which did make a certain amount of sense, though CoS LPs don&#39;t seem especially better recorded than the rest of the Polydor output (which is always pretty high quality, in my experience). Maybe it was a just a kind of catch all, or something designed to make a bunch of random LPs seem like a set hi-fi buffs might want to collect? No other way can I see one person wanting ALL the LPs appearing under the imprint, that&#39;s for sure&#33;
                  a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

It&#39;s a puzzle - some James Last LPs are bracketed as CoS, some aren&#39;t. In fact, I&#39;ve got a feeling &#39;Love Must Be The Reason&#39; may have been issued as a non-CoS as well&#33; I&#39;ll have to go and check on that.......I&#39;ll be back in a moment.

(runs off to check....)

Comment

[/I](runs back......)[I]

I&#39;m back now&#33;

Yes there was a non-CoS issue of &#39;Love Must Be....&#39; but it was in the early 80s, so they&#39;d definitely ditched the brand by 1981, at any rate.

I think Wayne&#39;s probably right that it was an attempt to cash in on the audiophile market without actually having to do anything. I wonder whether the &#39;Circle Of Sound&#39; name was a devious ploy to make people think they were buying quadrophonic?

And perhaps the first wave of CoS releases also had the &#39;Easy Lstening&#39; brand to smooth the transition? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ 30 May 2003,15:40)][/II think Wayne&#39;s probably right that it was an attempt to cash in on the audiophile market without actually having to do anything. I wonder whether the &#39;Circle Of Sound&#39; name was a devious ploy to make people think they were buying quadrophonic?
                        Not to my credit: if I remember right, I&#39;m just repeating what Benicio del Toffo thought &amp; which did make sense when he said it in an earlier thread. Let&#39;s face it, branding a bunch of random LPs as a &#39;set&#39; is likely to appeal to the nerdish, slightly anal market known as the hi-fi buff/record collector (yep, that means you as well, Wayne me old bean...) who&#39;s likely to want all of them if that&#39;s how they&#39;re presented. So the suggestion that it was just an attempt to cash in on a market without really doing much rings true enough to me... The quadrophonic thing hadn&#39;t occurred to me, but could definitely explain the rather peculiar name chosen...a sort of subliminal con&#33; Fiendishly clever, those marketing types...
                        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I recently interviewed Nick Ingman for Grand Slam magazine, and he reckoned Circle Of Sound stuff is rare because they charged full price for the albums, whereas most of those Easy Listening type things were budget jobs.

I think maybe just because Gentle Rain and Certain Lions and Tigers are collectable LPs, everyone foams at the mouth thinking &quot;there MUST be more&quot; - lets&#39; face it, apart from John Barry, the rest&#39;s just pish really... And, no, Nick didn&#39;t have a box of Moodys
                          There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

hmmmm, theres a little bit more there than those two surely
                            SECRET RUSSIAN ROMANTIC GUITAR PSYCH BREAKS

Comment

Bones Galore &#39;Work Song&#39; LP (1969)

Arranged &amp; conducted by Pete Smith, this Circle of Sound certainly isn&#39;t pish IMHO. Funky/easy big band with tremendous production, firing versions of &#39;Work Song&#39; and Joao Donato&#39;s &#39;The Frog&#39; and a big, baaad &#39;Light My Fire&#39; with savage funky guitar, seriously tough fatback drums and a little harpsichord magic&#33; It&#39;s a great LP and if I can make it down to a Freshbrillo I&#39;ll have to bring this along.

Oh, and this one says &#39;Another Easy Listening Album&#39; on the back as well&#33;
                              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X