Live Forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Forever

I'm sure this thread been hammered before but if you can be arsed...........

Best live gig?

mine....
    FREAKPOWER Circa can't remember, but they got busted on the border and gubbed all their stash so by the time they got to the gig they were well spanked and ashley slater couldn't get off the stage so he just kept playing til he was carried off. the gig got progessively psychedelic not sure how but we ended up in court with them the next day.....splendid.
    MODZ
    Hero No.9
    Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
    THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

quad boy
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

dunno if it was because I was younger/rose-tinted/whatever but there was a batch of gigs late 80s/90 which always linger in my memory
      Stone Roses @ Spike Island
      the Bubblegum Weekenders
      + lots of mad gigs with 'smaller' bands of the time (5:30, Spitfire, Studio68 etc)
      a few year later, the Spiritualized gigs were awesome
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

joe quaterman at the jazz cafe was good (for a chubby TV exec he can still cut it)

best ever gig? definitely KPM allstars at jazz cafe. awesome. duncan lamont was hilarious, mansfield looked knackered but was so into it, and The Hawk was just a legend, not least for playing his Countdown theme with the house band with a straight face.
        Last edited by theeman; 18-02-2005, 12:04 PM.
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Beck reading a few years back.

I got a free pass to reading because we made their website. Rocked up expecting just the usual free entry and somehow blagged passes into their uber uber vip tent. Plush leather sofas - a wall of tv's - free bar - first class meals all day. It was just us in there and about five top top top investor dudes - and the dirty irish guys that run mean fiddler!

We lorded it up in there away from all the dirty unwashed 15 yr old slipknot fans until about 10 at night. Obviously lost our minds by this point. Watched beck who rocked it and then he went all close encounters and got taped by police tape. or something.

To this day I have no idea what went on but it was fun.
          www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Atmosphere were nuts when I caught them in Paris, even if Slug did look knackerd being that it was their 3rd week on the road or something. But Atmosphere have built their reputation from live shows and they didn’t fail to deliver on the night.

Comment

Public Enemy + 3rd Bass in Birmingham... it was the 'Fear of a Black Planet' tour so I guess around '90. It was my first proper gig as well, I was about 17 yrs old and me and my mate were what felt like the only white kids there... when Chuck D threw his fist in the air and shouted "Black Power" (followed by the whole crowd) I thought things might get a bit dodgy. Fortunately though, nothing bad came of it... although me and me mate did chuck a seat out of the train on the way home... kids eh?
              Official Old School UK Hip Hop T-Shirts available at www.stylewarrior.co.uk

Comment

Probably DJ Shadow, Latyrx and Blackalicious (Quannum Projects) at Rough Trade in Covent Garden, '99. There were only about 20 people there but they still rocked a show and we got to chat to them a bit too.
                Eminem with the High n Mighty at Scratch that year was also one I'll never forget, and finally seeing Kool Kieth a few years back was something I had been hoping to do for ages.

Really wish I had seen Public Enemy, Rakim, 3rd Bass or any of the Hip-hop legends back in the day. Seen PE a few times and they're still great but it just ain't the same, I swear they slow down the beats slightly now so they can keep up!
                www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by theeman
                  best ever gig? definitely KPM allstars at jazz cafe. awesome. duncan lamont was hilarious,
                  People still taunt me with stories of how they saw the KPM Allstars. How come Duncan Lamont was hilarious, Ed... what's the story there?

Comment

A selected few...

Run DMC / Public Enemy - Brighton Centre (October '88)

The 'Tougher Than Leather / Nation Of Millions' tour.... I really went to see P.E, but DMC really rocked it. Great to see both at the height of their powers...

Spiritualized - Poly Of Wales SU (October '92 ?)

A fairly early show from recollection, might have got the date wrong... got a promo 45 on Fierce that was given away on the night with the date stamped on it (strange C&W version of 'Geel So Sad' on it).... got all giggly when introduced to Kate Radley, natch. About 50 people there I think !

Portishead - Usher Hall Edinburgh (May '95)

Simply the best sound I have ever heard at any live show, the version of 'Wandering Star' brought a tear to my eye.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

The Shamen in 89 before they went all poppy. Very psychedelic with loads of crazy guitar noises and acid 303 squiggles, and a bank of strobes and other light effects that was seriously brainblasting.
                      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Other greats: Faust, Stone Roses, Weller, Orbital (or was it the droogs.....), Godspeed You Black Emperor, Kraftwerk, James Brown, Hawkwind.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

broadcast have always been good when i've seen them what with the psychy light shows/projections etc...
                          http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by wooly
                            People still taunt me with stories of how they saw the KPM Allstars. How come Duncan Lamont was hilarious, Ed... what's the story there?
                            all of the old KPM boys had been taken out, wined and dined the whole day before the gig in the evening so they were all smashed. most of the track composers got to conduct their own pieces and give a little speech about their recollections of that track, their time with KPM or whatever.

duncan was due onstage to conduct 'funky express'. he was so pissed that he had trouble getting onto the stage and even more trouble staying on it once he got there. he told some stories about KPM, recording in Germany, getting there by train, lugging gear across international borders etc and then launched into this monologue about how he couldn't remember composing any of those KPM tracks because he was so stoned or hammered the whole time that his memory of that period is a complete blank!

james clarke was funny too - he's quite a character (i've met him a few times in his various different guises from muso to 'film' director and he was on top form that night)

pretty much everyone who composed or played for KPM during the 70s was there, most of them upstairs in the restaurant area. brian bennett was up there but didn't play. there were a load of people all over the place carrying record bags, trying to get their Chappells, KPMs etc signed by the main men (sermad?!)

it's all on broadcast-quality video somewhere (and was recorded professionally by either KPM or Strut too) - hopefully one day someone will put it out.

a top night. i bet a few of them have passed since then, too, sadly.
                            http://www.blaxploitation.com
                            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

shellac at the scala last december were amazing as well.....
                              http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Working...
                              X