No announcement yet.

Recommended classical?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

piano: Scriabin preludes can be both beautiful and challenging with a good Russian sound. Mendelsohn's Songs without Words are also recommended.
    You can rarely go wrong with requiems - apart from the most obvious - (Faure, Mozart, Verdi) the Durufle Requiem is an amazing piece of music. Britten War Requiem also good if you like Britten, which I do.
    Early 20th century French composers are a safe bet generally I reckon....
    Boy George knew my father

Comment

My favourite composer is Ralph Vaughan Williams. Recommended works are his lovely Pastoral Symphony No. 3, and his astonishing Symphony No. 6. Vaughan Williams is well represented on vinyl - my favourite renditions of the symphonies are conducted by Andre Previn.

A portion of the 6th was used as the theme for a TV show that some of you may remember called 'Family At War'. It's on a single, conducted by Adrian Boult.
      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

If not too nepotistic.... my sister's group Bardos Band have produced a couple of fun albums of medieval music (if your definition of classical is that encompassing) - the latest, 'Sesons', is on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/3WNIJZr87d9FCrdodaG45X

Back to proper classical.... You do need to hear Shubert's String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, D. 810, "Death and the Maiden". One of best interpreters - the Borodin Quartet

"Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

On the Schubert tip, for me, it's the String Quintet in C D956

"You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Weird Italian, Classical, Kraut rock fusion with one of the best opening sounds ever recorded in the second movement.
            Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              Shostakovich 24 preludes and Fugues. Tatiana's your man/woman. I have a CD of Richter... which is also superb.
              Any Beethoven String quartets- later for preference. Howard Hanson Symphony No 2 is irresistable. Julian Bream playing Britten's "Nocturnal"
              Right on.

Shostakovich stalled when writing the pieces, Nikolayeva pushed him on to complete the cycle. There's a couple of her recordings: Melodiya, licensed by Regis over here, and Hyperion which is much the posher recording - but she's a much older lady. I prefer the Hyperion, but that's a matter of taste, they're both great.

Richter is an outstanding pianist, pretty much all round. Would be in the shortlist for the greatest ever.

Bream is a wonderful player, his 'Capricho Arabe' is perfection.

On Satie, the Pascal Roge is lovely and not difficult to get on any format.

Mr Sondek's list has a lot of really famous recordings and they're vinyl, a fair portion should be on Youtube. Kleiber Beethoven on DG arguably hasn't really been surpassed.

Here's a few bits. Mixed bag of formats.

Howard Skempton - Lento

Brahms - Ein Deutsches Requiem (Klemperer)

Telemann - Perpetuum Mobile (Valent & Holland Baroque Society)

Rameau - Platee (Minkowski)

Pergolesi - 'Mentre Dormi' (Simone Kermes)

Ravel - Rapsodie Espagnole (Giulini)

Enescu - Romanian Rhapsody (Celibidache)

Couperin - Le Tic Toc Choc (Grigory Sokolov A M A Z I N G )

Originally posted by Ian Townsend View Post
              On return from holiday I could get a burn of both of Xann's Xmas Swap CDs to you Ed. Compelling listening.
              Glad you liked them

The computer that had them on died, but I might have got a copy back in the swap. The cover's on a memory stick somewhere - I'll investigate...

Comment

I've never really gelled much with anything pre-20th Century and so I'll add to the Shostakovich love to the extent of syaing I like his music for the film Alexander Nevsky. But I had a different lp, one of his symphonys, which didn't do much for me. But in the record clear out wars it was a case of keep the one I like more.

Definitly risking being both obvious and difficult but I'd have to say Stravinsky's Rite Of Spring is the best pre-war classical record I have. Not that I have much, some Debussy 'cos David Toop pushed hims as the brith of ambient/exotica. And Satie for the reasons mentioned. I think there's some mediocre budget recordings of his in the chazzas so worth shopping round.
                Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Comment

Here are a few that I listen to regularly.
                    Second the Vaughn Williams, who I think has been a huge influence on soundtrack composer John Williams.

John Ireland

John Field (Chopin vibes)

I really like the French Romantic/Modern Contemporary schools and the well known like Debussy, Satie, Ravel, Bizet etc etc.

Here is one example of the many lesser known composers that evoke effortlessly that certain laissez faire of 20th century French classical music. Lovely stuff..

Poulenc

and some Elgar

some more recent minimalism, John Adams

Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

Xann mentioned it, but I couldn't see a link, this was on a CD he was kind enough to send me a few years back, que bella....!

And this is a staple of classic FM, but I it's a really gorgeous piece of music, used to good effect in the film "The year my voice broke",

MOSTLY MELLOW

Comment

Here's the rest of that compiled list, it may seem a lot, but it's only about 1 "album" per year over a ~350 year period.
                        I have heard about half of these & own about a quarter, and they really are all good. There is a lack of English composers on here, particularly RVW, who, I agree with others above, has composed some lovely music, which turns up reasonably frequently, on nice HMV issues.

Chopin: Piano Concerto no.1 Argerich/Abbado/London Symphony Orchestra (1968)
                        Chopin: Piano Concerto no.2 Zimerman/Polish Festival Orchestra (1999)
                        Chopin: Piano Sonata no.2 “Funeral March” Argerich (1974)
                        Chopin: Preludes Pollini (1974)
                        Chopin: Etudes Pollini (1972)
                        Chopin: Scherzos Pollini (1990)
                        Chopin: Impromptus Rubinstein (1964)
                        Chopin: Polonaises Pollini (1999)
                        Chopin: Nocturnes Pollini (2005)
                        Chopin: Waltzs Lipatti (1950)

Debussy: La Mer Boulez / The Cleveland Orchestra (1993)
                        Debussy: Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune Boulez / The Cleveland Orchestra (1991)
                        Debussy: Nocturnes Martinon / ORTF National Orchestra (1973)
                        Debussy: String Quartet Alban Berg Quartett (1984)
                        Debussy: Image Book 1 & 2 Michelangeli (1971)
                        Debussy: Prelude Book 1 & 2 Michelangeli (1978, 88)
                        Debussy: Children's Corner Suite Michelangeli (1971)
                        Debussy: Suite Bergamasque Francois (1968)

Delibes: Coppelia Ansermet/Suisse Romande Orchestra and National Philharmonic (1957)

Delius: Orchestra Work Beecham / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1956-60)

Dukas: The Sorcerer's Apprentice Dutoit / Montréal Symphony Orchestra (1987)

Dvorak: Symphony no. 8 Szell / The Cleveland Orchestra (1970)
                        Dvorak: Symphony no. 9 “From the New World” Kertesz / Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1961)
                        Dvorak: Slavonic Dances Kubelik / Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra (1973/74)
                        Dvorak: Cello Concerto Fournier/ Szell / Berlin PO (1962) Karajan BPO DG & Du Pre Barenboim Chicago SO HMV
                        Dvorak: String Quartet no.12 “American” Alban Berg Quartett (1989)

Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance Marches No.1 Previn / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1985)

Falla: The Three Cornered Hat Ansermet / L'Orchestre de la suisse Romande (1961) DECCA SXL 2296

Faure: Requiem Cluytens / Paris Conservatoire Orchestra (1962)
                        Faure: Lieder Ameling / Baldwin (1970, 73, 74)

Franck: Symphony in D minor Karajan / Orchestre de Paris (1969)
                        Franck: Violin Sonata Dumay / Pires (1993)

Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue Bernstein / Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1959)

Grieg: Suite “Peer Gynt" Jarvi /Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra(1987)
                        Grieg: Piano Concerto Lipatti / Galliera / Philharmonia Orchestra (1947)

Handel: Water Music Gardiner / English Baroque Soloists (1991)
                        Handel: Concerti Grossi op.6 Pinnock / The English Concert (1981/82)
                        Handel: Messiah Pinnock / The English Concert (1988)

Haydn: Symphony no.94 “Surprise” Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1992) Philips Previn/Pittsburgh SO ASD 3839
                        Haydn: Symphony no.100 “Military” Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1990) Philips Colin Davis/Concg O Philips 9500 510
                        Haydn: Symphony no.101 “Clock” Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1987) Philips Colin Davis/Concg O Philips 9500 679
                        Haydn: Symphony no.104 “London” Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1990) Philips Previn/Pittsburgh SO ASD 3839 Colin Davis/Concg O Philips 9500 510
                        Haydn: Harpsichord concerto Argerich/Faerber /Wurttemberg Chamber Orchestra (1993)
                        Haydn: String Quartet no.77 “Emperor” Alban Berg Quartett (1993,94)
                        Haydn: Die Schöpfung (The Creation) Gardiner/English Baroque Soloists/The Monteverdi Choir(1995)

Holst: The Planets Karajan/Berliner PO DG 2532 019

Janacek: Sinfonietta Mackerras / Wiener Philharmoniker (1980)

Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite Solti / Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1993)

Kreisler: Violin pieces Kreisler (1906-38)

Lalo: Symphonie espagnole Grumiaux/Rosenthal/Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux (1963)

Lehar: The Merry Widow Harwood/Karajan/Berlin PO (1972)

Leoncavallo: Pagliacci Carlyle/Karajan/La Scala Theater Orchestra & Chorus (1965)

Liszt: Preludes Furtwangler / Wiener Philharmoniker (1954)
                        Liszt: Piano Concerto no.1 Argerich / Abbado / London Symphony Orchestra (1968)
                        Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor Pollini (1989)

Mahler: Symphony no.1 “Titan” Walter / Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1961)
                        Mahler: Symphony no.2 “Resurrection” Hendricks/Ludwig/Bernstein/New York PO/Westminster Choir (1987)
                        Mahler: Symphony no.4 Abbado / Berlin PO (2005) Haitink/Conc.g. Orch (1971) Philips 6866 006
                        Mahler: Symphony no.5 Bernstein/Wiener Philharmoniker (1987)
                        Mahler: Symphony no.6 “Tragic” Bernstein/Wiener Philharmoniker (1988)
                        Mahler: Symphony no.9 Bernstein/Berlin PO (1979)
                        Mahler: Symphony no.10 (Cooke) Chailly/Radio SO Decca (1987)
                        Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde Ludwig/Wunderlich/Klemperer/Philharmonia O (1964/66)
                        Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen Fischer-Dieskau / Furtwangler / Philharmonia O (1952)
                        Mahler: Kindertotenlieder Ludwig /Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker (1974)

Mascagni: Cavalleria Rusticana Cossotto/Bergonzi/Karajan/La Scala Theater Orchestra (1965)

Mendelssohn: Symphony no.3 “Scottish” Klemperer / Philharmonia Orchestra (1960)
                        Mendelssohn: Symphony no.4 “Italian” Toscanini / NBC Symphony Orchestra (1954) Haitink/Conc.g. Orch (1971) Philips 6866 004
                        Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream Previn / Wiener Philharmoniker (1985) Haitink/Conc.g. Orch (1971) Philips 6866 004
                        Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto Heifetz / Munch / Boston Symphony Ochestra (1959)

Monteverdi: Vespro della Beata Vergine Gardiner / English Baroque Soloists (1989)

Mozart: Symphony no.25, K183 Harnoncourt / Vienna Concentus Musicus
                        Mozart: Symphony no.29, K201 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1993)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.35 “Haffner”, K385 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1993)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.36 “Linz”, K425 Walter / Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.38 “Prague”, K504 Harnoncourt / Chamber Orchestra of Europe (1993)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.39, K543 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1988)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.40, K550 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1985)
                        Mozart: Symphony no.41 “Jupiter”, K551 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1986)
                        Mozart: Serenade no.10 "Gran Partita", K361 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1988)
                        Mozart: Serenade no.13 “Eine kleine Nachtmusik”, K525 Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (1985)
                        Mozart: Divertimenti, K136-138 Koopman / Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra (1989)
                        Mozart: Divertimento no.17, K334 Vienna Octet (1961)
                        Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante, K364 Kremer / Kashkashian / Harnoncourt / Wiener Philharmoniker (1983)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.20, K466 Gulda / Abbado / Wiener Philharmoniker (1974)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.21, K467 Gulda / Abbado / Wiener Philharmoniker (1974)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.23, K488 Gulda / Harnoncourt / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (1983)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.24, K491 Haskil / Igor Markevitch / Lamoureux Concert Association Orchestra (1960)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.26 “Coronation”, K537 Gulda / Harnoncourt / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (1983)
                        Mozart: Piano Concerto no.27, K595 Gulda / Abbado / Wiener Philharmoniker (1975)
                        Mozart: Violin Concerto no.3, K216 Grumiaux / Davis / London Symphony Orchestra (1961)
                        Mozart: Violin Concerto no.5, K219 Grumiaux / Davis / London Symphony Orchestra (1961)
                        Mozart: Flute Concerto no.1 & 2, K313 & 314 Pahud / Abbado / Berlin PO (1996) James Galway/festival Strings, Lucern RCALRL1 5109
                        Mozart: Concerto for Flute and Harp, K299 Rampal / Laskine / Paillard / Jean-Francois Paillard Chamber Orchestra (1963)
                        Mozart: Clarinet Concerto, K622 Wlach / Artur Rodzinski / Vienna State Opera Orchestra (1954)
                        Mozart: Horn Concertos 1-4,K412,417,447... Bryan / Karajan / Philharmonia Orchestra
                        Mozart: String Quintet no.4, K516 Wolf / Alban Berg Quartet (1986)
                        Mozart: Clarinet Quintet, K581 Wlach / Vienna Konzerthaus Quartet (1951)
                        Mozart: String Quartet no.14-19 “HAYDN SET" Alban Berg Quartet (1987, 89, 90)
                        Mozart: 4 Flute Quartets, K285, 285a, 285b, 298 Pahud / Poppen / Schlichtig / Queyras (1999)
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata no.8, K310 Lipatti (1950)
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata no.10, K330 Pires (1990)
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata no.11 “Alla Turca”, K331 Pires (1990)
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata no.14, K457 Pires (1990)
                        Mozart: Piano Sonata no.15, K545 Pires (1989)
                        Mozart: Cosi Fan Tutte, K588 Bohm / Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus (1962)
                        Mozart: Don Giovanni, K527 Karajan / Berlin PO (1985)
                        Mozart: “Marriage of Figaro”, K492 Abbado / Wiener Philharmoniker (1994)
                        Mozart: Die Zauberflote “The Magic Flute”, K620 Abbado / Mahler Chamber Orchestra (2005)
                        Mozart: Great Mass in c minor, K427 Gardiner / English Baroque Soloists (1986)
                        Mozart: Requiem, K626 Bohm / Wiener Philharmoniker (1971)

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition Abbado / Berlin PO (1993) Karajan/Berlin PO DG 2536 102 (box)
                        Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (piano) Horowitz (1951)

Orff: Carmina Burana Jochum / Berlin Deutschen Opernhauses Orchester (1967)

Paganini: Violin Concerto no.1 Accardo / Dutoit / London Philharmonic Orchestra (1975)
                        Paganini: 24 Caprices for solo Violin, op1 Accardo (1977)

Prokofiev: Symphony no.1 "Classical" Dutoit / Montréal Symphony Orchestra (1988)
                        Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf Bernstein / New York Philharmonic (1960)
                        Prokofiev: Piano Concerto no.3 Argerich / Abbado / Berlin PO (1967)

Puccini: Madama Butterfly Karajan/Freni/Pavarotti/Ludwig/Wiener Philharmoniker (1974) Decca SET 584/6
                        Puccini: Turandot Pradelli/Nilsson/Scotto/Corelli/Rome Opera Theater Orchestra & Chorus (1965) HMV ASD 2403 (Highlights)
                        Puccini: Tosca Callas/De Sabata/Gobbi/La Scala Theater Orchestra (1953) HMV SLS 825 Rosette
                        Puccini: La Boheme - Beecham/RCA\Vic Orch HMV SLS 896 Rosette Karajan/Freni/Pavarotti/BPO Decca SET 565/6 TAS Toscanini/NBC’SO RCA Vic LM 6006 (Premiere)

Rachmaninov: Symphony no.2 Previn / London Symphony Orchestra (1973) ASD TAS
                        Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto no.2 Richter / Wislocki / Warsaw National Phiharmonic Orchestra (1959)
                        Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto no.3 Horowitz / Reiner / RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra (1951)
                        Rachmaninov: Prelude in C# minor Op. 3 no. 2

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe Cluytens / Paris Conservatory Concert Society Orchestra (1962)
                        Ravel: Bolero Cluytens / Paris Conservatory Concert Society Orchestra (1961)
                        Ravel: Piano Concerto, G major Francois / Cluytens / Paris Conservatory Concert Society Orchestra (1959)
                        Ravel: String Quartet, F major Alban Berg Quartett (1984)
                        Ravel: Gaspard De La Nuit Argerich (1974)

Respighi: Pini di Roma/Fontane di Roma /Feste Romane Toscanini / NBC Symphony Orchestra (1949-53)

Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade Valery Gergiev / Mariinsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra (Kirov Orchestra) (2001)

Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez Johns Williams / Louis Fremaux / London Phiharmonia Orchestra (1983)

Rossini: Overtures Riccardo Chailly / National Phiharmonic Orchestra (La Scala Theater Orchestra) (1995)
                        Rossini: 6 Sonatas for Strings Accardo / Gazeau / Meunier / Petracchi (1978)
                        Rossini: Il Barbiere Di Siviglia Prey / Berganza / Abbado / London Symphony Orchestra (1971)

Saint-Saens: Symphony no.3 "Organ" Zamkochian / Munch / Boston Symphony Orchestra (1959)
                        Saint-Saens: Carnaval Animaux Argerich / Freire / Kremer / Maisky (1985)
                        Saint-Saens: Violin Concerto no.3 Grumiaux / Rosenthal / Orchestra des Concerts Lamoureux (1963)

Sarasate: Zigeunerweisen Heifetz / Steinberg / RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra (1951)

Satie: Piano Works Ciccolini (1983-86)

Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht LaSalle Quartet/McInnes /Pegis (1982) DG 410 962-1 BPO/Karajan DG 2530 627

Schubert: Symphony no.5 Walter / Columbia Symphony Orchestra (1960)
                        Schubert: Symphony no.8 "unfinished" Kleiber / Wiener Philharmoniker (1978)
                        Schubert: Symphony no.9 "The Great" Wand / Berlin PO (1995)
                        Schubert: String Quintet in C Schiff / Alban Berg Quartett (1982)
                        Schubert: Piano Quintet "The Trout" Brendel / Zehetmair / Zimmermann / Duven / Riegelbauer (1994)
                        Schubert: String Quartet 14 "Death & the Maiden" Alban Berg Quartett (1994)
                        Schubert: Arpeggione Sonata Maisky / Argerich (1984)
                        Schubert: Piano Sonata no.20, A major, D959 Pollini (1983)
                        Schubert: Piano Sonata no.21, B flat major, D960 Richter (1972)
                        Schubert: Wanderer-Fantasie, D760 Pollini (1973)
                        Schubert: Impromptus, D899 & D935 Pires (1996,97)
                        Schubert: Lieders Fischer-Dieskau / Moore (1966-69)
                        Schubert: Die Schone Mullerin, D795 Wunderlich / Giesen (1966)
                        Schubert: Schwanengesang Fischer-Dieskau / Moore (1972)
                        Schubert: Winterreise Fischer-Dieskau / Barenboim (1979)

Schumann: Symphony no.1 "Spring" Bernstein / Wiener Philharmoniker (1984) Grumiaux/Galliera/New Philharmonia O. Philips 6866 025 (box
                        Schumann: Symphony no.2 Bernstein / Wiener Philharmoniker (1985)
                        Schumann: Symphony no.3 "Rhenish" Kubelik / Symphonic Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks (1979)
                        Schumann: Symphony no.4 Furtwangler / Berlin PO (1953)
                        Schumann: Piano Concerto, a minor Pollini / Abbado / Berlin PO (1989)
                        Schumann: Piano Quintet, E flat major, op44 Argerich, Schwarzberg, Hall, Maisky (1994)
                        Schumann: Arabesque Horowitz (1962)
                        Schumann: Kreisleriana Argerich (1983)
                        Schumann: Symphonic Etudes Pollini (1981)
                        Schumann: Kinderszenen Horowitz (1962)
                        Schumann: Frauenliebe und Leben, op42 Marthis / Eschenbach (1979,81)
                        Schumann: Dichterliebe, op48 Fischer-Dieskau / Eschenbach (1974-76)
                        Schumann: Liederkreis, op39 Fischer-Dieskau / Eschenbach (1974-75)

Scriabin: Symphony no.4 "Le poeme de l'extase" Valery Gergiev / Mariinsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra (Kirov Orchestra) (1999)

Shostakovich: Symphony no.5 Mravinsky / Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra (1973)
                        Shostakovich: Symphony no.7 "Leningrad" Bernstein / Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1988)
                        Shostakovich: Symphony no.10 Karajan / Berlin PO (1981)

Sibelius: Symphony no.1 Berglund / Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra (1986)
                        Sibelius: Symphony no.2 Berglund / Chamber Orchestra of Europe (1997)
                        Sibelius: Symphony no.5 Berglund / Chamber Orchestra of Europe (1996)
                        Sibelius: Finlandia Barbirolli / Halle Orchestra (1959)
                        Sibelius: Violin Concerto Heifetz / Hendl / Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1959) Karajan/Berlin PO DG 2536 103 (box)

Smetana: Ma Vlast (My Fatherland) Kubelik / Boston Symphony Orchestra (1971)
                        Smetana: String Quartet no.1 "From My Life" Alban Berg Quartett (1990)

Strauss (Family): Waltzes & Polkas Kleiber / Wiener Philharmoniker (1989, 1992)
                        Strauss J.: Die Fledermaus Kleiber / Bayerischen Staatsorchester (1975)

Strauss R.: Eine Alpensinfonie Karajan / Berlin PO (1980)
                        Strauss R.: Ein Heldenleben (A Hero's Life) Karajan / Berlin PO (1985)
                        Strauss R.: Also Sprach Zarathustra Karajan / Berlin PO (1983)
                        Strauss R.: Don Juan Karajan / Berlin PO (1983)
                        Strauss R.: Till Eulenspiegel Karajan / Berlin PO (1972-73)
                        Strauss R.: Salome Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1977-78)
                        Strauss R.: Der Rosenkavalier Karajan / Philharmonia Orchestra (1956)
                        Strauss R.: Four Last Songs Schwarzkopf / Szell / Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra (1965) ASD 2888

Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring Valery Gergiev / Mariinsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra (Kirov Orchestra) (1999)
                        Stravinsky: The Firebird Valery Gergiev / Mariinsky Theatre Symphony Orchestra (Kirov Orchestra) (1995)
                        Stravinsky: Petroucka Boulez / The Cleveland Orchestra (1991)

Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.4 Mravinsky / Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra (1961)
                        Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.5 Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1984)
                        Tchaikovsky: Symphony no.6 "Pathetique" Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1984)
                        Tchaikovsky: String Serenade Karajan / Berlin PO (1980)
                        Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker Previn / Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (1986)
                        Tchaikovsky: The Sleeping Beauty Dorati / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra (1979-80)
                        Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake Previn / London Symphony Orchestra (1976)
                        Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto no.1 Richter / Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1962)
                        Tchaikovsky: Violin Concerto Heifetz / Reiner / Chicago Symphony Orchestra (1957)

Verdi: Aida Freni / Carreras / Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1979)
                        Verdi: Otello Monaco / Tebaldi / Karajan / Wiener Philharmoniker (1961)
                        Verdi: La Traviata Cotrubas / Kleiber / Bayerisches Staatsorchester (1976-77)
                        Verdi: Il Trovatore Stella / Serafin / La Scala Theater Orchestra (1962)
                        Verdi: Rigoletto Callas / Stefano / Serafin / La Scala Theater Orchestra (1955)
                        Verdi: Requiem Abbado / La Scala Theater Orchestra (1979-80)

Vivaldi: The Four Seasons Kuijken / La Petite Bande (2006)
                        Vivaldi: Flute Concertos, op10 Bruggen / Orchestra of the 18th Century (1979)

Wagner: Orchestral Music Karajan / Berlin PO (1974)
                        Wagner: Tristan and Isolde Price / Kollo / Kleiber / Dresden Staatskapelle (1980-82)
                        Wagner: Der Ring Des Nibelungen Solti / Wiener Philharmoniker (1958-65)
                        Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg Karajan / Dresden Staatskapelle (1970)
                        Wagner: Parsifal Knappertsbusch / Bayreuth Festival Orchestra (1962)

Weber: Der Freischütz Kleiber / Dresden Staatskapelle (1973)

Wolf: Lieder Fischer-Dieskau / Daniel Barenboim (1966-76) DG

NB Some of these have 2 (or more) recommended recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor tomato ketchup View Post
                          I've never really gelled much with anything pre-20th Century and so I'll add to the Shostakovich love to the extent of syaing I like his music for the film Alexander Nevsky.
                          Perhaps you mean Prokofiev?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRTsfBFpSo
                          some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

And this is a staple of classic FM, but I it's a really gorgeous piece of music, used to good effect in the film "The year my voice broke",

[/
                            QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Just the best. Takes me somewhere else whenever I put it on. For the best version go to Hugh Bean with Sir Adrian Boult or Nigel Kennedy with Simon Rattle- he really knocks out a stunning version. Some people have an aversion to Nigel Kennedy but he is extremely good and he really delivers a definitive performance. While we are on RVW his "Serenade to Music" is super, and simply reeks of England. I'm a huge fan of English music (although it's often though of as parochial, and underwhelming by people with no soul) so I'd also big-up "The Curlew" by Peter Warlock and anything by Delius- although Delius himself was not that keen on the old country. Even if you don't like "The Curlew" it's well worth reading up on Philip Heseltine ("Warlock's" real name). He had quite a life, and was a real character.
                            "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by medlar View Post
                              Perhaps you mean Prokofiev?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFRTsfBFpSo
                              Yeah maybe, told you I don't know much about classical. I'm pretty sure it was a Shostakovich I chucked though.
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post

....so I'd also big-up "The Curlew" by Peter Warlock and anything by Delius- although Delius himself was not that keen on the old country. Even if you don't like "The Curlew" it's well worth reading up on Philip Heseltine ("Warlock's" real name). He had quite a life, and was a real character.
                                As featured in 'Electric Eden' - I was fascinated with the character - and really want to check out some music. You've reminded me!
                                "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                X