Free Pop Electronic Concept lp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Pop Electronic Concept lp

not sure if i like it or hate it reminds me somewhat of the film forbidden planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BCjVcU8ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeJM_B-9fk
    ------~o00o-----//{ ´°`(_)´°` }\\-----o00o~------

Originally posted by smashingcheesegromit View Post
    not sure if i like it or hate it reminds me somewhat of the film forbidden planet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92BCjVcU8ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdeJM_B-9fk
    Wow and wow and holy mackerel, that is awesome. That's the kind of thing I really wish I could dig up. In the same vein as Messe Pour Les Temps Present...

Electronics by Arsene Souffriau. I have an obscure Conroy library disc by him somewhere, that's pure electronic music though...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
      Electronics by Arsene Souffriau. I have an obscure Conroy library disc by him somewhere, that's pure electronic music though...
      I've always wanted to know what he did apart from the Free Pop Electronic Concept - what's the Conroy one like?

Comment

But it is just someone playing a synth (be it a 1969 one) over pretty run of the mill 'funky' instrumentals..... isn't it? It's not very joined up.
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Great LP, got to be in the mood to listen to it all, can be quite expensive, there's at least two presses a Dutch one and a Canadian one (It was also reissued).
          "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
            But it is just someone playing a synth (be it a 1969 one) over pretty run of the mill 'funky' instrumentals..... isn't it? It's not very joined up.
            I've always thought that too. It's more akin to side two of "Bobby & Betty Go To The Moon" than "Messe Pour Le Temps Present"...
            Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

That's what I like about it. Tunes would stand up on their own without the electronics leavinhg the electronic bit sounding slightly out of place and free to do whatever it likes.
              My Mixcloud

Comment

I've love this lp and can't fathom why so many people don't rate it. It has a really good sub B-Movie motorik riff and moogism thing going on in this track.

A Sound Awareness

Comment

Well, that's where the 'free' part of the 'concept' comes in, I suppose. To me it seems like pretty much the same operating model as for 'Astro Sounds' or 'Messe Pour...', some kind of ungodly spacey freakout over cheesy riffs. Floats my boat, like all this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Filthy Rich View Post
                    I've always wanted to know what he did apart from the Free Pop Electronic Concept - what's the Conroy one like?

It's from 1966, 10 inch, BMLP009, actually has an overall title on the label, 'La Musique Electronique D'Arsene Souffriau'.

It's very much abstract electronics, unaccompanied. Hums, whirrs, blips, tweets, drones, glissandos... atmospheric textures rather than frenzied freakouts. The track titles give you a feel of the science fiction aura: Andromedia, Ionosphere, Aurora Borealis, Sulphur, Bubbles, Metallurgy, Sodium, Forge

Comment

Originally posted by Sonovox View Post
                      It's from 1966, 10 inch, BMLP009, actually has an overall title on the label, 'La Musique Electronique D'Arsene Souffriau'.

It's very much abstract electronics, unaccompanied. Hums, whirrs, blips, tweets, drones, glissandos... atmospheric textures rather than frenzied freakouts. The track titles give you a feel of the science fiction aura: Andromedia, Ionosphere, Aurora Borealis, Sulphur, Bubbles, Metallurgy, Sodium, Forge
                      Thanks for info. I love the Free Pop lp (and that Jimmie Haskell one) so would like any recommendations of anything similar.
                      There's this I guess but to my mind this is what's being described above, it doesn't have the motorik style groove of FPEC (I'm not writing that again)

Though maybe I should dig it out and give it another chance, sounds alright there.

Comment

Originally posted by mr sayers View Post
                        Great LP, got to be in the mood to listen to it all,
                        ^ this - so much so that I keep thinking of moving mine on but it's still filed at the moment
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by Moogaloo View Post
                          That's what I like about it. Tunes would stand up on their own without the electronics leavinhg the electronic bit sounding slightly out of place and free to do whatever it likes.
                          I'll have to give it another spin.... but not sure I'm fully convinced, though I don't recall the issue being quite as obvious when I listened to it the first time. I just wish there was some pretence that the electronic bit was being played with the band rather than just stuck over it afterwards. I guess the session must exist somewhere without the synth effects?
                          "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

I guess the session must exist somewhere without the synth effects?
                            Jess & James' band innit?
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Great LP if you're a psych-head. Anyone into the Animated Egg LP will love this.
                              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X