JBs, Meters and Kool VS everybody else

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBs, Meters and Kool VS everybody else

What is it that makes these three groups so much better than Nite-Liters and all the other known 70s funk groups? Discuss!

You can have Watergate, North East South West and Pungee VS Afro-Strut?

With regards the JB's/James Brown it could be argued they are the originators of funk, so that's why they have the edge on most of the competition !
    "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Kool and the Gang have released a lot of good records so consistency across the 70s is a big point for them. Similar for EW&F and they probably straddled the disco era more successfully for me.

Comment

BT Express caned them all...
        some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Because they weren´t funk bands.
          JBs are a megalomaniac´s world domination project.
          Meters are a high modernist exercise in the production of musical machinery.
          Kool and the Gang are a lounge jazz combo with a sharp eye on the main chance.

And It´s Your Thing and Tighten Up are to funk what the Madonna & Child and the Crucifixion were to renaissance artists.
          Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I think Charles Wright and The Watts street band are underrated, they should get a honourable mention. Their rhythm section backed Bill Withers on his early albums
            sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
              I think Charles Wright and The Watts street band are underrated, they should get a honourable mention.Their rhythm section backed Bill Withers on his early albums
              I agree. late Dyke and the Blazers was basically the Watts 103rd St band, too. Really distinctive dry, sparse sound with that lot.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I've heard lots of obscure 7" tracks by virtually unknown bands that I think are as good as JB & Charles Wright (no that into Meters and Kool & the Gang, just haven't found many early records by them for some reason) - so I think one main point is that they stayed together for a long time and enjoyed early commercial success?

Since I'm no funk fiend... what are the other well-known 70s funk bands apart from Nite-Liters (that I have several records I like with)?

Where does Sly fit in here? Is it funk or some kinda freaked out soul?
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Brainbomb View Post

Since I'm no funk fiend... what are the other well-known 70s funk bands apart from Nite-Liters (that I have several records I like with)?
                  I'd put The (Fabulous) Counts and The Soul Searchers ahead of The Meters. If we can include 2-LP wonders then S.O.U.L too

Comment

Well, cause George Porter Jr is one of the tightest bass players ever, and his playing with the drummer is groove as fuck. Their first three albums are all killer no filler.

Kool and the Gand def have their moments, but less solid than the meters

And the Jb's, because they had Bootsy

There are some other good funk bands and all that. But yes, there's a reason why the meters, Kool and JB's are highly regarded

Comment

Originally posted by ricardosevere View Post
                      If we can include 2-LP wonders then S.O.U.L too
                      You beat me to it sir. Also gave up the roughest, and possibly best version of 'Express yourself', bringing us nicely back to Charles Wright.
                      Things ain't getting no brighter, load ain't getting no lighter.........

http://www.mixcloud.com/Ian_Barker/

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                        I think Charles Wright and The Watts street band are underrated, they should get a honourable mention. Their rhythm section backed Bill Withers on his early albums
                        Yeah, I haven't listened them for ages but seem to remember them laying down pretty solid grooves on "You're So Beautiful". Need to revisit.

I picked up a copy of the Sir Quarterman lp this week - songwriting-wise definitely one of the most consistent albums of its ilk imo
                        The aural history of the sex life of a cosmic corn popper

Comment

Guess I agree with both Mescal and BabyCart's answers.

For the record honorable mention to Sly, Cymande, Nite-Liters/New Birth, Charles Wright, Ike Turner and all the super rare and super expensive deep funk records.

Comment

Working...
                          X