X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good Fela Kuti record

Like, really funky shit

All of them!
    some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

My top 5 in terms of repeat plays and my fondness for pidgin swearing and funkiness are probably:

Roforofo Fight (drumming, fuck em yab em, horns, this has got the lot)
      Upside Down ( ace female vocalist with gigantic bee in bonnet about colonial injustice)
      Zombie (always flip this and play Mr Follow Follow too)
      Sorrow Tears and Blood
      ITT (also got Fela yabbing motherfuckas)

Shakara´s the only one that ever really worked on a dancefloor for me, though

I think the funkiest Fela bit is the beginning of Lets Start, but it doesn´t really go anywhere after that.
      the best title is Equalisation of Trouser and Pant.
      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post

Seconded!
        A Sound Awareness

Comment

personal fave is Expensive Shit mostly for this , especially the intro at full vol !

Comment

Been listening to this a lot lately.

http://www.discogs.com/Fela-Anikulap...release/107975

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by el sporto View Post
                Seconded!
                I'm in for a third... always in the bag... need a pee/smoke break whilst playing - this is the number 16mins of pure class... no one objects to hearing this one to the end - punk as feck - just in case...

Originally posted by reza View Post
                personal fave is Expensive Shit mostly for this , especially the intro at full vol !]
                This would be number two... scorcher lyrically and musically...

A must have are the four Fela Box sets that came out on Barkley a good few years back... not cheap, but cheaper than the OGs
                "It's all just one big plastic hassle..." - Psych-Out

Comment

Beast of No Nation for me. That band always gets criticized for being rough but it took balls of steel to stand up and be counted in the Babangida and Abacha years.
                  Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

My votes go to:
                    Black President
                    Live with Ginger Baker

Comment

Shakara´s the only one that ever really worked on a dancefloor for me, though
                      er....fourthed - brilliant from start to finish (and very danceable)

Originally posted by jam View Post
                      Live with Ginger Baker
                      seconded -great hypnotic bass and drumming
                      Boy George knew my father

Comment

Zombie worked a few times as a dancefloor burner for me. But then it was basically an afrobeat night so it was liking shooting fish in a barrel.
                        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Beaten to the punch here. Babycart pretty much nailed it as usual, but I have a soft spot for JJD with its rambling stoned intro and bad sax playing. The little bass run before it all breaks loose is wondrous stuff.
                          https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                          http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                          https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                          https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                            Beaten to the punch here. Babycart pretty much nailed it as usual, but I have a soft spot for JJD with its rambling stoned intro and bad sax playing. The little bass run before it all breaks loose is wondrous stuff.
                            If we're going to pick out little parts of his "tunes", and why shouldn't we, then my personal favourite is the riffing horns in V.I.P. (Vagabonds In Power) as the piece really starts cooking.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Working...
                            X