Evan Parker - double blowing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan Parker - double blowing?

A while ago when I was learning to play sax a few of the jazzers I was hangin with was listeneding to Evan Parker. Apparently he had perfected the rare technique of playing two notes at the same time and so had worked out a method of playing two melodies at once on sax. Now dont know why it suddenly occurs to me me to remeber this but I feel the urge to go and check some of his recordings. So any of you guys who get into your jazz know about this? Was thinking which recordings to check out for this particular treat.
    Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Originally posted by eclipsechaser
    A while ago when I was learning to play sax a few of the jazzers I was hangin with was listeneding to Evan Parker. Apparently he had perfected the rare technique of playing two notes at the same time and so had worked out a method of playing two melodies at once on sax. Now dont know why it suddenly occurs to me me to remeber this but I feel the urge to go and check some of his recordings. So any of you guys who get into your jazz know about this? Was thinking which recordings to check out for this particular treat.
    Hm, is you sure he isn't singing the other notes whilst playing? That's quite common on flute ala Harold McNair, Roland Kirk etc.

I do know that he's a master of circular breathing which means you can continually play with no break in sound on sax etc.

If you do find anything out, please let me know.
    www.sundaramusic.com

Comment

Apart from the fact that he turns up on other peoples records. I recently got Climate of the Hunter by Scott Walker which has Evan and mark Knopfler together at last.

I think much of his noted free stuff from the 70's is on Derek Bailey's Incus label and so rare as hen's teeth as it hardly sold much at the time. I've never come across any anyway. I've seen him live twice and he was very good indeed.Bought a few CDs there but they are recent stuff and mainly where he's doing stuff with others.
      Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

Originally posted by Philip
        I do know that he's a master of circular breathing which means you can continually play with no break in sound on sax etc.
        Apparently this isn't universally approved of among Jazzers: I once interviewed Courtney Pine, who said this, while pointing out that he was taught circular breathing by Mac Tontoh (of Osibisa) because he was a schoolmates' dad.

I also once saw someone playing two different saxophones at once, but I can't remember now who it was - Live show, early 90s sometime, anyway. Anyone who can pull me out of my (hopefully) temporary amnesia is welcome to chip in...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

.. would it not be Roland Kirk ?? Most piccies of him I remember he's always got not one but two saxes on the go...
          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

....or maybe the geezer from Ian Dury and the Blockheads?
            Last edited by Lord Thames; 21-02-2005, 06:33 PM.

Comment

I've just remembered the bloke from Blodwyn Pig used to do the double-sax thing, and am I going mad or didn't Colosseum's Dick Heckstall-Smith try it too?

Comment

surely it would have been kirk. Yes he was a master of two instruments at once.

AS for evan parker - yes I am aware of singing a different note into the instrument which is used a lot on flute. However I was lead to beleive that it was an extension of the over blow technique where you blow too hard to create a kind of distortion of the notes. Not that I know any more than this.
                Perhaps I was mislead when I originally heard about this.
                Give a man a tree, He'll take a forest!

Comment

Working...
                X