Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The roughest condition records in your collection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The roughest condition records in your collection...

Reading the thread agonising over whether to buy a VG RAER got me wondering what the WORST condition records people have in their collections and why they keep them. Anyone who knows me will testify I'm pretty fussy about condition. But if I found a shabby copy at a carboot sale, then I'd rather have SOMETHING than nothing. So, you find ANOTHER copy with a nice sleeve, but a goosed record. Then you find another copy with a nice record but a shagged sleeve. And then you buy ANOTHER copy to get the rare insert etc etc etc.

Anyway, what records do people have in their collections which are in truly woeful condition, but they're filed anyway?

1) A mint rocksteady reggae 7" of "Work It" by The Viceroys (Crab). Mint, except for the James Last flexi disc someone has glued onto the A-side...

2) The "Time To Run" soundtrack LP, which has one funky track on it. Bought in a charity warehouse to make up the numbers, I pulled it out the sleeve to check condition. Fine. Except I got home to find it had a 2cm hole cracked in it. The funky track is unaffected, and I've grown quite fond of how knacked the record is. I could find a replacement for about a tenner if I could be arsed...

3) The Mexican compilation album which has a layer of exotic mould festering on the sleeve. I put it in a PVC sleeve, where the spores are no doubt multiplying - I can't quite bring myself to throw it out, but yet can't quite bring myself to play it to discover if there's a killer track on it. There's probably a killer something on it...

4) The "Strawberry Snocone" funk 45 by Seven From Eleven I got in a "let's trade a cracked record for a cracked record" with Jazzman Gerald many years ago (can't remember what he was unlucky enough to end up with...). The single is in great condition - apart from the sellotape right across one side, covering the crack from edge to centre. Plays near mint, I like it, but do I like it enough to fork out for an, err, uncracked one? I'm sure in Ghostworld there's a scene where 78 collectors are chatting about trading cracked records...

5) The "Who Live At Leeds" album with the brown paper cover, where someone has used it to write a massive essay on both sides on their largely unsuccessful techniques in pulling women. First press, stone mint condition copies of this album? There's bound to be about 10. Number of copies of this album with an essay about pulling women scrawled over the whole cover? ONLY COPY IN EXISTENCE. IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN THIS CONDITION!

There's five from me, let's hear your horror stories...
    Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://www.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine/

Photos: www.instagram.com/divine_glasgow/

Many years ago, I bought one of those sticky roller thingies for getting the dust off your records The instructions said to roll from the outside of the record towards the label.
    First up, my copy of Soon Over Babaluma! Nice steady roll from the outside to the.....SHIT! Nasty bit of grit, under pressure, right across one side. Thought nothing of it, straight up to town and picked up another copy. The sleeve was slightly different, no metallic sheen, and the sound.....what had happened?
    Still kept the og, because the one side that does play, sounds like Can should sound, the later pressing sounds flat
    Must get round to replacing the old one, I miss it.
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

Comment

My copy of the Voices of Conquest 45 looks pretty shagged but it plays absolutely fine. I don't know then if it's eligible or not for this thread? I was super-chuffed because it meant I could own that marvellous record without having to break the bank. I have various records that I "found" that are shagged but I still value because I actually found something in the wild - I don't dig enough to find stuff with any regularity so am more than happy when I do so. One of these is a Sandy Bull LP I really should mint up on because it's very delicate music.
      "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Found a copy of 'Whatevershebringswesing' for 20p that looked so smashed it was actually two years before I decided to give it a tentative spin, of course it played a strong VG+. Similarly found a Smiths Lp for 20p and before the morning was out had done a straight swap for I Roy's 'Presenting' looks like its been machetted but plays with barely a crackle.
        Worst record I've seen in a shop lately was a Suicide album in atrocious condition ,take a bow Vinyl Tap Huddersfield.

45 wise found an under the radar w/l demo by Ben Monroe on Dakar that is hideously marked but plays great.

I guess the flipside of this is finding something that looks pristine then suffers from intrusive hiss or jumps like a bast*rd. Latest personal case being The Millionaires - Never For Me which I'm kind of bored with now but if I was unscrupulous I could move on for x50 the price I paid for it. Stuck with it now I guess.
        record licker

Comment

1) A Franco et le TPOK Jazz LP I bought as VG+ from a seller on ebay who shall remain nameless (though it shouldn't be too hard to work out if you know African records). Totally skated with gouge marks in three or four places. I keep it as an example of said seller's VG+

2) A rare "erotic" Japanese 8" record that seems to have some kind of varnish residue over most of one side. Again kept for the back story.

3) Several warped raers that are currently under a pile of heavy books as part of a long-term experiment

4) A bunch of Roxy Music records I got from my cousin when she got married 30-odd years ago. I guess her husband-to-be had copies in better nick so I got the "partied hard to" doubles. These were amongst the first records I ever acquired so sentiment plays a big part in not having upgraded here.
          Last edited by Plainstone; 30-08-2013, 06:39 AM.
          https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
          http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
          https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
          https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

An original copy of the Small Faces 1st which the Divine One gave me for nothing. It looks like its been dragged behind a horse by a lasso but it plays pretty much perfectly!

Del Richardson - Pieces of a Jigsaw. My copy of this is near mint vinyl wise but the sleeve (the continue the cowboy similes) looks like its tried to be pulled apart by two horses. Ill never part with it as it was a gift from Towny.

My copy of the Beatles 1966 fan club flexi has been folded in half at some point I think. It still plays if you weight it down a bit...not that it gets played that much.
            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I've got an acetate of The Creation 'How Does It Feel To Feel' which is virtually unplayable. It's scratched and has weird white mould type growth.

It's here

I'll get it framed at some point I guess....
              www.45cat.com
              http://www.45worlds.com/

Comment

Originally posted by relkeel View Post
                Found a copy of 'Whatevershebringswesing' for 20p that looked so smashed it was actually two years before I decided to give it a tentative spin, of course it played a strong VG+.
                Funny, I've a copy of that with a one inch crack at the edge. It actually plays though, if you take care to line up the crack properly and it just sounds like an annoying scratch.
                Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

I spent YEARS searching for the Des Champ Orchestra "My Own Thing" LP on Page One and finally turned one up in the MVE bargain basement. Didn't bother checking the condition as the sleeve looked OK. Got home and found the record was utterly unplayable - you could barely see the grooves underneath the gouges, scratches and scrapes. Kept it anyway and eventually found a mint copy. Haven't seen another copy since then...
                  Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Sometime ago I took a punt on a James 'Blood' Ulmer album that said VG but played fair. Thankfully I hated the music as well!
                    https://tdrec.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Great thread Andy mate....

I got a rough copy of - Kinks - Village green preservation society for 50p many years ago from a carboot sale. The cover as you know is a fragile gatefold, mines hanging on by a thread, there's writing on it the whole nine, if I was grading I would have to be realistic and say it P+. The vinyl is not pretty either,dull looking with loads of marks, think it's been left out of it's sleeve for a good part of it's life, if I was going to grade it I would have to say it was in fair condition....But do you know what it doesn't play that bad, yes there's crackle, but for the most part it's lightish and in between the tracks and on the whole the music over powers it. Which is good as I'm not getting a minty copy any time soon!
                      "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Pye records up to about 1970 are indestructible.
                        Those funny cars won't make the teardrops start/ but way up there is where she broke my heart

Comment

I bid on a Heldon LP on eBay in some absent-minded (pissed?) moment before noticing it was in Fair condition. Sounds like Robert Fripp buried deep in sand.

Comment

Originally posted by d7bohs View Post
                            Pye records up to about 1970 are indestructible.
                            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
                              1) A Franco et le TPOK Jazz LP I bought as VG+ from a seller on ebay who shall remain nameless (though it shouldn't be too hard to work out if you know African records). Totally skated with gouge marks in three or four places. I keep it as an example of said seller's VG+
                              "Saint Grail" ?
                              Chimptown, now twinned with Cockermouth, Penistone and Big Beaver, Pennsylvania..

Comment

Working...
                              X