Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning records question # 503

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cleaning records question # 503

    Sorry as I'm sure this particular question will have been asked before but is there a away to remove fingerprints from an otherwise mint record?

    Looks like the oily residue from the skin has ingrained itself in the grooves (not mine I hasten to add). Doesn't really seem to affect playback but just doesn't look pretty as they're on both sides and pretty numerous. I've washed the record and it hasn't made a difference. Would one of the record cleaning fluids help with this particular problem?

    Cheers chaps.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

  • #2
    I use about 50/50 distilled water/isopropyl alcohol usually to clean records and that gets fingerprints off OK in my experience.

    Having said that, after my latest cleaning session yesterday I am after a simple but effective (i.e. not pva glue which is good but a pain) alternative to isopropyl.
    I often find I get a headache after a cleaning session. Yesterday I was cleaning for about an hour and a half (outside so well ventilated) and ever since - on and off - I have had a number of, seemingly, classic symptoms of isopropyl alcohol fumes inhalation: headache, nausea, drowsiness, tingly hands and feet. Perhaps I have just got a bug but it seems more than coincidence.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the reply. I really need to pick up some of that isopropyl I guess.
      "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by candiman View Post
        I use about 50/50 distilled water/isopropyl alcohol usually to clean records and that gets fingerprints off OK in my experience.

        Having said that, after my latest cleaning session yesterday I am after a simple but effective (i.e. not pva glue which is good but a pain) alternative to isopropyl.
        I often find I get a headache after a cleaning session. Yesterday I was cleaning for about an hour and a half (outside so well ventilated) and ever since - on and off - I have had a number of, seemingly, classic symptoms of isopropyl alcohol fumes inhalation: headache, nausea, drowsiness, tingly hands and feet. Perhaps I have just got a bug but it seems more than coincidence.
        Your ratio of alcohol is much too high, I was advised to use about 10/90 mix, with a drop of window cleaning detergent in the solution.
        Of course, afficionados will point to getting a proper record cleaning machine as the 'fool proof' way to clean vinyl, in that it at least leaves no residue on the surface of the
        vinyl like hand cleaning does.
        Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....



        Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

        Comment


        • #5
          Lighter fluid. done
          www.raysmith.bz

          www.mixcloud.com/COSMICSLOP/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by candiman View Post
            Having said that, after my latest cleaning session yesterday I am after a simple but effective (i.e. not pva glue which is good but a pain) alternative to isopropyl.
            I often find I get a headache after a cleaning session. Yesterday I was cleaning for about an hour and a half (outside so well ventilated) and ever since - on and off - I have had a number of, seemingly, classic symptoms of isopropyl alcohol fumes inhalation: headache, nausea, drowsiness, tingly hands and feet. Perhaps I have just got a bug but it seems more than coincidence.
            Have you tried wearing a decent dust mask mate?
            "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DRSMITH View Post
              Lighter fluid. done




              I know someone who actually did this.....
              Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....



              Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

              Comment


              • #8
                I find the spit of Hedge Warblers really effective at cleaning vinyl.Though not that collected during spring when the birds are feeding their young as a lot of contaminants collect in their throats that can transfer to your treasured record.
                record licker

                Comment


                • #9
                  I use Isopropyl and distilled water 25% solution. I also bung in a quick squirt of dishwasher rinse aid. Could be a chemistry teachers nightmare, but I'm still here! I use Small squares of those paint pads with the soft teeth to work the fluid into the grooves, rinse it off, and it seems to work a treat.
                  Do you wear gloves when using your solution Candiman? That length of exposure without protection could possibly be a problem
                  Everyone tear down your own little wall
                  That keeps you from being a part of it all
                  Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                  You've just got to be close to it all

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by relkeel View Post
                    I find the spit of Hedge Warblers really effective at cleaning vinyl.Though not that collected during spring when the birds are feeding their young as a lot of contaminants collect in their throats that can transfer to your treasured record.
                    I'd go for Isopropyl in the spring then, or do you just wait until the warblets have fledged before cleaning?
                    I've definitely had some vinyl from eBay that looks like it was cleaned with contaminated sparrow flob
                    Everyone tear down your own little wall
                    That keeps you from being a part of it all
                    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                    You've just got to be close to it all

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                      I'd go for Isopropyl in the spring then, or do you just wait until the warblets have fledged before cleaning?
                      Warblets now there's a word that trips off the tongue.

                      c/w

                      It's surprising the number of people who hand clean records don't rinse. I always rinse. Fastidious innit.
                      record licker

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by treeboy View Post
                        I use Isopropyl and distilled water 25% solution. I also bung in a quick squirt of dishwasher rinse aid. Could be a chemistry teachers nightmare, but I'm still here! I use Small squares of those paint pads with the soft teeth to work the fluid into the grooves, rinse it off, and it seems to work a treat.
                        Do you wear gloves when using your solution Candiman? That length of exposure without protection could possibly be a problem
                        Will turn down the percentage of Isopropyl at least. I don't wear gloves but use a thick cloth so don't really get it on my fingers. But gloves in future too is probably a good idea. This was the longest cleaning session I have ever done so will reduce that in future too. It has taken 24 hours, lots of fresh air and some exercise to feel better, it was a bit scary.

                        Any particular dishwasher rinse aid? (I am a dishwasher virgin as we have never had one - I quite enjoy washing up, it's a good opportunity to listen to the radio).

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Glad you've recovered, bit of a lesson there for all of us I'd say.
                          No particular rinse aid, we've got Sainsburys so I use that.
                          Everyone tear down your own little wall
                          That keeps you from being a part of it all
                          Because you've got to be one with the one and all
                          You've just got to be close to it all

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DRSMITH View Post
                            Lighter fluid. done
                            Don't know why I didn't try that first. Sorted. Nice one!

                            NB Glad you're feeling better Candiman....cleaning records, serious business!
                            "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              On the subject of distilled water, would the condensate from a condenser tumble drier do; or would it still be laden with chemical nasties? We've recently had one installed & was wondering if anything useful could be done with the H2O that accumulates.
                              Gosh, golly that was a weird one. Have I got time to go and take some more acid?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X