Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

werner müller, raymond lefèvre, franck pourcel, paul mauriat - tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• werner müller, raymond lefèvre, franck pourcel, paul mauriat - tips?

Went down El Rastro today and there was a stall overflowing with what was mostly the entire back catalogue of this VV classics lot: werner müller, raymond lefèvre, franck pourcel, paul mauriat, and some Ronnie Aldrich. I assume they'll be there again next week, so thought I'd check in case there are any gems I don't know about already!

I have already got:
    - the 'Paul Mauriat Plus' LP and the one with 'etude for rhythm and blues'.
    - Pretty much all the Pourcel I have head was drenched in strings.
    - I have 'its happening now' by Aldrich whch has a few passable tracks on.
    -I have a tape of Müller's percussion in the sky and strip goes on (neither of which were on that stall, sadly!)

There was more Decca Phase4 than I've ever seen in a lifetime of booting and chazzer dredging! Came away with a couple of Ted Heaths which I'm listening to now, kind of Enich light/RCA stereo action type sound.

So, anything else to look for? Please speak up, I'm looking especially at the VV old guard now - you know who you are!
    "THIS IS A FINE TAPE AND BRINGS BACK MEMORIES OF YESTERYEAR WHEN THE MUSIC WORLD WAS GOOD AND NOT FOULED UP BY THE LONG HAIR SCURVES WHO JUST BEAT WILDLY ON ANYTHING AND COME UP WITH A LOT OF STUPID NOISE THat only damnfools and liars say they like it"

Regarding Paul Mauriat I've never found a decent one other than Etude For Rhythm & Blues.

I'm guessing this one would be worth picking up http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Mauriat-.../master/371461 but I'm guessing you'd buy that if it was in front of you.

The Aldrich you mention is the only one I have. Never really bothered with Muller....still after the elusive The Strip Goes On as well.

LDJB I'm sure could give you more useful info.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I have the 'étude....' on a handy 45 the Mauriat Nige suggests is indeed rather good with some twangy sitar on it. I have spare if anyone is needing. It came out in several cover variations. There are a fair few nice tunes in his catalogue. He does a great version of 'Jesehel' (sp) but I can't remember which lp its on.

I've never been that bothered with Mulled too beyond 'the strip...' although I do quite like the Moody Blues one he did.

Ronnie Aldrich - look out for the one with 'Ode to Billie Joe' on it. That's probably his best.

Pourcel - the two good ones both strangely have Concorde on the cover - I think one of them might even have the jet as the title!

Ted Heath - 'Pow' and 'the big ones' are the ones to nab. Ian T has done a great article on Phase 4 over at Forumusic by the way. Also I'd try googling for the labels of love and other assorted articles off the old VG+ site
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I'm still after the Pourcel with 'Day dream' on, only ever saw one rough copy in the wild, which I didn't bother with!
        "Hangin' out with you two is like partying with Fugazi"

Comment

Some decent Mauriat's -
          The Soul Of.... 1969
          Prevailing Airs...'69
          El Condor Pasa is good
          Salutes The Beatles is alright

Ronnie Aldrich
          Soft And Wicked
          Two Piano's Today
          This Way In
          Destination Love

I'm sure there are a few more but I Can't remember them offhand.
          Only have a few Muller's, Fevre's and the like.

At least if the LP's are cheap and you think they are crap you can re donate to your nearest charity shop!
          Fleas the size of rats suck on a rat the size of a cat....

Not As Great As His Very Best, But Pretty Much As Great As Most Anyone Else's.

Comment

I'd forget about Aldrich and go for the Mullers.

If you like Percussion In The Sky, a couple other early Phase 4 ones are worth grabbing, I like Hawaiian Swing (great Bali Ha'i), also On The Move. Maybe also Wild Strings (per Phase 4).

Comment

I took a blind punt on this years ago.... Its overproduced but it had a groove that reminded me of 80s kids Cartoons (like Mysterious Cities of Gold ect)

Pocket Money stuff mind

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Mauriat-.../master/317307

The Intro to this is a fave

sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

There are at least 2 sitar groovers in Mauriats output.

You Keep Me Hangin' On , which is also found (among other places) on The Soul of... I believe.

There's also a nice sitar Let the Sunshine In available on some records (I think I've had it on 3 different)
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

No sitar on this but Ronnie holds back on the piano overload, always had a soft spot for this.
                  Only vid I could find of it.

Comment

Not on an album but.......

Mauriat takes on Vangelis' Pulsar and does a nice job of it...... The horn stabs and strings are production fodder for sure

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Mauriat-...elease/2250203

He also did an album with a lot of CTI heavyweights (Will Lee, Allen Schwartzberg, John Tropea) called Overseas Call. Its a bit like James Lest Best Kept Secret and theres a track called E.V.A. Its not The JJ Perrey blinder mind
                    sigpicRock on Penderyn

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post

He also did an album with a lot of CTI heavyweights (Will Lee, Allen Schwartzberg, John Tropea) called Overseas Call. Its a bit like James Lest Best Kept Secret and theres a track called E.V.A. Its not The JJ Perrey blinder mind
                      Beat me to it! nice LP. Forgot to mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boi Bach o Bethel View Post
                        I took a blind punt on this years ago.... Its overproduced but it had a groove that reminded me of 80s kids Cartoons (like Mysterious Cities of Gold ect)

http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Mauriat-.../master/317307
                        I really like Black Swan off that lp.
                        Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Werner Muller - Learn To Love - (Nights In White Satin, Let's Stay Together)

Werner Muller - Latin Splendour (can't remember if any good, but nice gold/black sleeve and has some usual VV standards like Light My Fire etc)

Pourcel's version of "You Only Live Twice" is great. Appears on a few LPs (one of the concorde ones?) plus a sampler called "A Taste of Pourcel"

Comment

Originally posted by bongolia View Post
                            Pourcel's version of "You Only Live Twice" is great. Appears on a few LPs (one of the concorde ones?) plus a sampler called "A Taste of Pourcel"
                            Seconded. Groovy but kind of off-kilter. Some Phase 4s which are worth it:

Other ones by Los Machucambos are worth a listen, if you like that latin hi-fi thing.

Has the crackin' Headin' North on it.

Title track is ace.

Lots of goodness.

Have not found a copy of this one yet, but by all accounts it's worth it.
                            Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Seen one in the charity the other day. Should I get it for you? Postage from germany isnt that much.
                              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Working...
                              X