The most "Far Out" record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most "Far Out" record

Voyager has left the Solar System..........take that in. Mindblowing indeed. Piggybacking the probe is the famous Golden Record, complete with cartridge and stylus (they've all got 501s out there naturally). Johnny B Goode could be blasting back at us soon. Thought it was amusing that Carl Sagan wanted to include Here Comes The Sun on it, The Beatles agreed, but EMI said no. They were sort of right too, our star isn't due to blow itself into interstellar space for a couple of years yet.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content..._Golden_Record

So I have to ask, what did they leave off?
    I reckon this would get them heading this way
    Everyone tear down your own little wall
    That keeps you from being a part of it all
    Because you've got to be one with the one and all
    You've just got to be close to it all

I hope they didn't press it off centre!

Comment

Startrekking Across The Universe indeed.

Comment

I've just been reading "Murmurs Of Earth", the book about the golden record, so this has been on my mind.

Quite an interesting read in terms of the process for selecting the music - very broad selection of 'ethnic' music to represent the various different music traditions and structures from across the globe, some classical, then popular music represented solely by Blind Willie Johnson, Louis Armstrong and Chuck Berry. Had to be done pretty quickly. They got clearance rights for broadcast of the music outside of the solar system only - not sure why EMI didn't want to sign up for that!

The records are actually at 16 2/3 rpm so they could fit more music on -- there's 90 minutes or so. Then there's also an hour of brainwave recordings of Carl Sagan's wife (!) as well as all the photos and greetings.

I may have to come back to this, but "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen seems strangely appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by treeboy View Post
          So I have to ask, what did they leave off?

Comment

popular music represented solely by Blind Willie Johnson, Louis Armstrong and Chuck Berry

I´m an earthling and I´ve never heard any Blind Willie Johnson.

If I was an alien digger I would be well pissed off if I found Voyager, discovered the gold record and took it home to find it was blend of a language instruction record, an ethnic label sampler and a stereo test record.

the Mexican track is brilliant, though. Imagine if aliens invaded earth yipping like coyotes and serenading every female earthling in sight.
            Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Intergalactic chud dump.
              All the Wolpertingers

Comment

Carl Sagan was a major reefer chiefer.

A friend of mine went to visit his widow at home and she said it was a very mellow affair with beautiful views and high-powered telescopes.

Comment

So, they Kickstarted a triple vinyl reissue (or first Earthly issue) of the Voyager records:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/0...rcial-release/

Obvs. a slapdash inauthentic reissue as it won't be at 16 2/3 rpm or include the hour of Carl Sagan's wife's brainwave recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by SirSlim View Post
                    Last edited by bongolia; 23-09-2016, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Finds Thread: Starmonth A-546

Tharg

Greetings, stardiggers. Picked up an interesting piece on a salvage mission just outside sol system B-96. Private press triple album on gold vinyl. Two sides of greetings, primitive brain waves and some music. Currently digging Pygmy Girls Initiation Song, but it's not really my thing. Still seems pretty rare and might get a few creds for it on GalactaBay.

Klaatu

Greetings Tharg. Sorry, mate, but radio transmissions indicate that its been re-released.
                      Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I'm reading 'Ziggyology' at the moment and this record also features in that.

Given that,this seems appropriate but there so many of Dave's tunes that would work just as well

"..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                          Finds Thread: Starmonth A-546

Tharg

Greetings, stardiggers. Picked up an interesting piece on a salvage mission just outside sol system B-96. Private press triple album on gold vinyl. Two sides of greetings, primitive brain waves and some music. Currently digging Pygmy Girls Initiation Song, but it's not really my thing. Still seems pretty rare and might get a few creds for it on GalactaBay.

Klaatu

Greetings Tharg. Sorry, mate, but radio transmissions indicate that its been re-released.
                          "Hologram or it never happened!"
                          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Working...
                          X