New (?) London Record Fair next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pitch View Post
    Posted up in Digging Thread.... but not sure there's much traffic over there:

Who's going along to the large London Record Fair at Truman Brewery, Brick Lane next month? 250+ dealers and a connection to Brownswood, Soul Jazz and Kindred Spirits makes it look like a decent prospect.... 3rd - 6th October. Anyone know more / planning to go? I think I might take Thursday off, and make it my first 'proper' fair visit.
    Do they have a website / web presence? I might be able to make a Sunday morning session, but would need to know timings...
    In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

Originally posted by someblokecalledfuz View Post
      Do they have a website / web presence? I might be able to make a Sunday morning session, but would need to know timings...
      http://londonrecordfair.co.uk/

Comment

Poster - "250+ dealers" ..........Dealers listed on website (updated as they sign up) - 53. I do hope there is a bit of a rush to take part in the next 7 days! Tom B - you know you want to!
        "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
          Where's the "tip of the hat in your direction sir" emoticon when you need it?

Thanks
          In ((( VISUAL ))) Stereo

Eclectic Mud

Comment

250+ did sound far-fetched being that this is the first time and all..

Comment

Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
              50 dealers selling, 200 dealers buying

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by No, LordNo View Post
                Pretty damn expensive to sell at as well.

I decided not to.

WF

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post

I decided not to.

WF
                  It does say negotiable.... I reckon they will be keen to drop prices next week - no?

Comment

Originally posted by pitch View Post
                    Tom B - you know you want to!
                    You are of course correct. Unfortunately I have a work trip next week so will miss the whole shebang. Hope it's a good 'un - London needs a non VIP Olympia fair...

Comment

Anyone make it down yesterday for day one..?

I'm gonna pop in on Sunday before meeting Sermad, see if there are any last day bargains.
                      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy-Fogg View Post

I decided not to.

WF
                        £250 for a stall. I've no idea if that's competitive or not - does seem pricey.

I might nip in with low expectations later on after work. Anybody got any early bird reports?
                        "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

Maybe this is not that bad for 4 days? I would love London to have something like the WMFU fair, so I'm cautiously supportive. Olympia is so horrific, someone has got to be able to do it better. At least the food will be better. (Well, to be fair - It couldn't be any worse).
                          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

I'm popping down this afternoon, if I can find somewhere nearby to lock my bike up...anyone else taking a stab at it?

Comment

I was hoping to yesterday - but will be popping down this afternoon instead..... I wonder if some dealers will only be setting up at the weekend?

Comment

So... i went yesterday. Took a little finding as i assumed the entrance would be on Brick Lane but it turned out to be off on one of the side roads. Met a few other people moaning about the difficulty in finding it but i was only literally delayed minutes.

I got there at about 12:10 so just after it opened and the building was absolutely massive. I had a quick walk round to take everything in and then dug into the records. As it was the first day obviously not every dealer had committed to stalling out so there were only about 12 stall holders with a few of them spilling out over quite a few tables.

The first stall i looked at was a private collector selling off his 1988-1994 house/techno collection which was all in amazing condition. I was in my element and was one of the first going through so basically cherry picked the best of the best for myself (excluding the Italian stuff which i don't really know much about). All very reasonably priced at either £2 or £3 each. I ended up taking 46 record and stiching myself up with a heavy bag for the rest of the day. The guy was really nice and we talked quite a bit and was willing to give bulk discount.

I then stumbled onto a the next stall which was an English guy who had a shop in Paris. He seemed to be doing a lot of running around so may have been helping out or in charge of the fair. He had a load of great jazz, reggae and soul which he was getting a lot of enquiries about. Immediately next to him with a couple of boxes was another French seller who had a load of soundtracks and library records and i was seeing prices of £100/£150 etc etc on some items. I did pick up a very nice copy of the Profundo Rosso soundtrack (reissue from 1977) which id been after for ages. He had a couple of copies of the Suspiria soundtrack as well but just out of my price range.

I did notice there was a distinct lack of turntables around for listening purposes so the poor guy with the house records had lots of people from all the other stalls queuing up at his turntable.

Thoroughly inspected the shop in Paris' stock and ended up grabbing some random ragga jungle 12" that were in his reggae 12" box plus a copy of the second Black Merda LP, a Harold Land LP on Mainstream and a promo copy of Sharon King's first Daptone LP which i again got some ok discount on.

I was running out of money at this time so looked round a few of the others stalls but was looking for bargains which came in the form of a guy called Des who also runs a Record Fair in Kilburn. He had some nice house, disco and soul LP/12" for £1-3 each so grabbed 10 bits from him.

Very happy with all that i got. Everyone was friendly and im sure when it gets busy it will be amazing over the weekend. I still managed to spend over 4 hours there with just the stalls i saw.

Comment

Working...
                                X