No announcement yet.

New (?) London Record Fair next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went today and will probably go again tomorrow morning. Loads of bargains to be had I think. I got a UK press of Chubby Checker's "Gypsy" for a fiver. Which was nice...

Oh - and this very odd surfing dog 45...

Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Anyone know if they'll be different dealers over the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post
        Anyone make it down yesterday for day one..?

I'm gonna pop in on Sunday before meeting Sermad, see if there are any last day bargains.
        I went yesterday, met francis there, it was gruelling imo. Lots of unsorted, unpriced chud and then genre dudes with unreasonably priced stock. People selling at pre-internet prices, and probably still holding back their best records for the internet or private sales. There wasn't even any low-hanging fruit when it came to rap 12s. I bought 3 lps, ended up spending more on clothes at sample sales nearby.

There will be more sellers this weekend, so it may improve, but I'm done.

Comment

I just went looking for it and failed to find it which is super-annoying. Too tired - my feet ache - to find it so I will try again tomorrow.
          "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Mixes for your delectation: http://www.mixcloud.com/danmatic/

Comment

At least yesterday the entrance was on that side street that'd take you from Brick Lane towards Spitalfields. Truman Brewery always has multiple entrances, you gotta poke around a bit.

Comment

Just walk along hanway street - at least one entrance there - it's on the first floor - above car park.

It was very disorganised - and yes lots of rubbish and lots of dealers / DJs expensive stuff...... But if you are patient and focus on the more interesting stalls you'll find stuff. I loved the woman from Amsterdam - selling off a personal collection - really interesting stuff - 45s for £2 and £5 ..... Apparently the actual owner of e collection is arriving today and has more stuff - he runs a reissue label (obscure Middle East stuff etc) - I guess he's probably well known here....

I do find the exclusive matey DJ / dealer atmosphere a bit hard to crack though - borders on rudeness and arrogance when 'dealing' with mere mortals! I do like some kind of friendly engagement when parting with my cash.....

I think there was a bit of grumbling from dealers about the low turn out on thurs / fri - but promises of bigger crowds and more dealers are setting up for the weekend only - so give it a go!

I got 15 interesting 45s and a few LPs - will post up when I've listened to them.
              "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Must have just missed you Steve. I was there today from around 10 until 1. Bumped into Mang ( soory I didn't recognise you, it's been years!)
                I thought the fair was ok. I found all the dealers to be pretty friendly, probably helped by the fact that I knew more than half of them.
                Bought a few bits, lots of very expensive, but quality items for sale.
                Lots of dealers apparently pulled out at the last minute. Hopefully this will be a regular event as it has the potential to be very good.

Comment

Originally posted by llmod1 View Post
                  Lots of dealers apparently pulled out at the last minute. Hopefully this will be a regular event as it has the potential to be very good.
                  This was what my friend who was working a stall there said. It seemed a very London fair to me, mostly because of the predominance of black music (lots of reggae it seemed). The same dude said he'd done amazing business on the Thursday and Friday and had been kinda cleaned out of all of his best items on these two days, so I'd guess most of the dealers will be back. Not much psych, prog or folk to be seen. Nor weirdo cheap 80s bits - less desirable I know, but kinda what I was hoping for.

The stall with soundtracks mentioned above has to be Victor Kiswell's - his stock was absolutely incredible, but you'd need very deep pockets.
                  "As technology has advanced, vinyl records are outdated as they are music from the 19th Century so only hipsters and elderly people buy vinyl records".

Comment

There was also an Italian seller with some great soundtracks.

The quality of the records I thought was very high in general, unfortunately the prices matched this.

Comment

Originally posted by BestDressedChicken View Post
                      This was what my friend who was working a stall there said. It seemed a very London fair to me, mostly because of the predominance of black music (lots of reggae it seemed). The same dude said he'd done amazing business on the Thursday and Friday and had been kinda cleaned out of all of his best items on these two days, so I'd guess most of the dealers will be back. Not much psych, prog or folk to be seen. Nor weirdo cheap 80s bits - less desirable I know, but kinda what I was hoping for.

The stall with soundtracks mentioned above has to be Victor Kiswell's - his stock was absolutely incredible, but you'd need very deep pockets.
                      I heard mutterings of this fair becoming a fairly regular event (well - twice a year!). I don't think there's much to complain about really - unlike Olympia it doesn't cost a fiver to get in, the stallholders seemed friendly enough (Huiboki in particular - I ended up buying some things from him that maybe I shouldn't have because he was so keen to play you whatever you wanted - even the cheapies!). I did let him sell me a copy of "Screw You" by Ram & Sel for a fiver. Bargain! And you can just about make the song out through the crackle! (Yes, I know a mint copy would be a bit more than that. I actually do think it was a bit of a bargain).
                      Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

Looking forward to records -> curries -> beers pictures from those with enough dosh to afford the latter two after the fair
                        https://oneboxrecordfair.wordpress.com/
                        http://twitter.com/#!/obrftokyo
                        https://instagram.com/obrftokyo/
                        https://www.facebook.com/Its-Time-Fo...5685810999497/

Formerly, lecturer at the University of Rome, with two commas and a full stop in the normal way.

(=^ェ^=)

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
                          I heard mutterings of this fair becoming a fairly regular event (well - twice a year!).
                          This is what my mate was saying - and I imagine they will attract more dealers next time, 'cos of the way they all cleaned up. Nah, nowt to complain about. I could've done with a post-punk bargain bin but I could always say that. It felt like the sort of event that could lurch into fashionability and even have some girls there!! I might roll back tomorrow and check out some cheap boxes.

Comment

I'm in London today so will pop by for a last-day rummage from 12:30 - 2:00pm... Think I will take a portable after reading some of these comments...
                            If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

I wish we had a large record fair with amazing sounding records and lots of dealers to moan about up here!
                              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by nebkins View Post
                                Thoroughly inspected the shop in Paris' stock and ended up grabbing some random ragga jungle 12" that were in his reggae 12" box ......
                                Sounds good, what did you find?

Back in the day, when I still visited the Utrecht fair, that was the way to go for me: picking up misplaced D&B 12"'s. Then Discogs became popular with the sellers and the prices went up fast. I don't know how it is today though.

Comment

Working...
                                X