X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mang
    replied
    Originally posted by Sie Vulture View Post

Great to see that CD stalls are as popular as ever.

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    Originally posted by Plainstone View Post
    Looking forward to records -> curries -> beers pictures from those with enough dosh to afford the latter two after the fair
    Ta-da..!

.... I forgot to take a picture when we got the pub after the food.

Leave a comment:

• nebkins
    replied
    Originally posted by djvw View Post
    Sounds good, what did you find?

Back in the day, when I still visited the Utrecht fair, that was the way to go for me: picking up misplaced D&B 12"'s. Then Discogs became popular with the sellers and the prices went up fast. I don't know how it is today though.
    Nothing majorly exciting but in amazing condition - Inner City Dance 001 - Greenwood - Hold It Down / Modeller (12") , Jungle Fashion 005 - Papa San - Soca Jungle (12", W/Lbl) and 9 Lives 007 Top Cat - Smoke The Sensie (12").

None of them did it for me so whacked them up for sale.

Leave a comment:

• Mondays Child
    replied
    Originally posted by medlar View Post
    I got that Bombay Bicycle Club album when it came out from Rough Trade East. I didn't seem like a raer or anything, they had stock for a little while, it wasn't like it was flying off the shelf, crazy! Good album btw.
    Yeah, it is a nice album. My mate is after the ones I mentioned and the first two Suede LP's 'Suede' and 'Dog Man Star'
    If anyone sees any vinyl copies of the ones I've mentioned out and about for cheap, I'd be mighty grateful if they'd let me know, or even better pick them
    up for me and I'll sort out payment etc if that's cool?
    If that's not cool then mods can happily delete the post.

Leave a comment:

• medlar
    replied
    Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
    OK cheers.
    Looking for Bombay Bicycle Club's 'Flaws' on vinyl which is currently £100.00 on discogs
    As well as Travis 'The Man Who' and the Verve 'A Storm In Heaven' which are also around this kind of crazy price.
    These are wants for a friend who asked me to keep an eye out.
    I got that Bombay Bicycle Club album when it came out from Rough Trade East. I didn't seem like a raer or anything, they had stock for a little while, it wasn't like it was flying off the shelf, crazy! Good album btw.
    As for the fair, on Friday I took my work lunch break via Spitalfields and Rough Trade, and as I was headed back to work someone asked me about the whereabouts of the fair (anyone on here?). All I knew was that it was held in the Truman Brewery site, so we wandered round, past Rough Trade out into Brick Lane where I saw a poster affixed to a lamp post. Up the stairs and there it was, shambolic organisation skillz! Didn't have time for a proper rummage, had to go back to work
    I did spy that Expiry top tip "Armitage Road" on a wall, some nice records there it must be said.

Leave a comment:

• Mondays Child
    replied
    OK cheers.
    Looking for Bombay Bicycle Club's 'Flaws' on vinyl which is currently £100.00 on discogs
    As well as Travis 'The Man Who' and the Verve 'A Storm In Heaven' which are also around this kind of crazy price.
    These are wants for a friend who asked me to keep an eye out.

Leave a comment:

• Tsundoku
    replied
    Originally posted by Mondays Child View Post
    I was going to go to this as the wife had a course in Covent Garden on Saturday, but never got round to it. Will be going to the next one if it's
    destined to be a six monthly affair.
    My question is to those who went, I'm after a few 90's indie bits, mainly LP's.
    Were there any sellers with this type of stock?
    A couple - not loads. The focus was more on black music as I said above - some of the rock/psych type dealers pulled out at the last moment, or so I was told.

Leave a comment:

• Mondays Child
    replied
    I was going to go to this as the wife had a course in Covent Garden on Saturday, but never got round to it. Will be going to the next one if it's
    destined to be a six monthly affair.
    My question is to those who went, I'm after a few 90's indie bits, mainly LP's.
    Were there any sellers with this type of stock?

Leave a comment:

• peretti
    replied
    Better signposted today and maybe 20 dealers tops this morning but maybe 11am was too early. Lots of impressive big price records but also cheap boxes of African and reggae with really interesting bits. A bit of an insider vibe but not actually unfriendly bar one or two semi hostile 45 sellers. More an LP man so not a big deal ... sparsely attended at that hour and that huge space emphasised the lack of people. Highlight for me was Heartbeat records from Paris - still, hope it's a regular thing.

Leave a comment:

• ninja simone
    replied
    Originally posted by pitch View Post
    Just walk along hanway street - at least one entrance there - it's on the first floor - above car park.

It was very disorganised - and yes lots of rubbish and lots of dealers / DJs expensive stuff...... But if you are patient and focus on the more interesting stalls you'll find stuff. I loved the woman from Amsterdam - selling off a personal collection - really interesting stuff - 45s for £2 and £5 ..... Apparently the actual owner of e collection is arriving today and has more stuff - he runs a reissue label (obscure Middle East stuff etc) - I guess he's probably well known here....

I do find the exclusive matey DJ / dealer atmosphere a bit hard to crack though - borders on rudeness and arrogance when 'dealing' with mere mortals! I do like some kind of friendly engagement when parting with my cash.....

I think there was a bit of grumbling from dealers about the low turn out on thurs / fri - but promises of bigger crowds and more dealers are setting up for the weekend only - so give it a go!

I got 15 interesting 45s and a few LPs - will post up when I've listened to them.
    I went early on Thursday and quickly just ended up with the lovely smiley lady at the same Dutch stall - got some very interesting bits. Then went back on Friday and got a few more 45s and met her boyfriend when he arrived with new records. Really great seller for me, totally up my street, so much of his stuff was totally knew to me. I'll be curious to see what you bought from there Steve. There was really only one other stall that I focussed on run by a really friendly film sound-recordist who travels all over the world for work and accumulates large amounts of really interesting and diverse records - he had a lot of £4 Bollywood, African, Caribbean, Latin, Jazz LPs some of which were well worth buying - so I did.

The person who said it was all over-priced rubbish (NoLordNo?) was wrong although certainly a lot of it was. The organisers are definitely talking about another one in six months and if their marketing improves (there was nothing close to the 250 stalls they were boasting about in the build-up blurb) it could become very good I think. They were hopelessly disorganised on Thursday though - I know the Truman Brewery well as I live locally but even I couldn't find the fair as there wasn't a single signpost for it anywhere on the streets and it was very hidden away on an (enormous) upper floor. Consequently there were very few people in attendance. None of those would have been just wandering in without previous knowledge. Even the bloke in Rough trade didn't have a clue when I asked if he knew - telling me I was about the hundredth person to ask him...I pointed all this out to the organiser briefly before I left and he did say that his wife was at that moment preparing a lot of sandwich-boards and sure enough on Friday there was at least a sign outside the main entrance.

Might have a quick last visit this afternoon in case there's a bit of price-dropping. Will try to post up some of the stuff I got at some point.

Leave a comment:

• djvw
    replied
    Originally posted by nebkins View Post
    Thoroughly inspected the shop in Paris' stock and ended up grabbing some random ragga jungle 12" that were in his reggae 12" box ......
    Sounds good, what did you find?

Back in the day, when I still visited the Utrecht fair, that was the way to go for me: picking up misplaced D&B 12"'s. Then Discogs became popular with the sellers and the prices went up fast. I don't know how it is today though.

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    I wish we had a large record fair with amazing sounding records and lots of dealers to moan about up here!

Leave a comment:

• Sie Vulture
    replied
    I'm in London today so will pop by for a last-day rummage from 12:30 - 2:00pm... Think I will take a portable after reading some of these comments...

Leave a comment:

• Tsundoku
    replied
    Originally posted by Mang View Post
    I heard mutterings of this fair becoming a fairly regular event (well - twice a year!).
    This is what my mate was saying - and I imagine they will attract more dealers next time, 'cos of the way they all cleaned up. Nah, nowt to complain about. I could've done with a post-punk bargain bin but I could always say that. It felt like the sort of event that could lurch into fashionability and even have some girls there!! I might roll back tomorrow and check out some cheap boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Plainstone
    replied
    Looking forward to records -> curries -> beers pictures from those with enough dosh to afford the latter two after the fair

Leave a comment:

Working...
X