Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello, I'm writing a book about this record...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, I'm writing a book about this record...

Smash Hits '72

Not an obvious one, but art rarely is.
    Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Good for him. I reckon there´s a book to be written about every record ever made.
    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I would read that.
      SPIRIT DUPLICATOR Est 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by ginghamkitchen View Post
        I would read that.
        x2.

I don't mean I'd read it twice...just that I agree with Gk.

Are you going to interview the cover girl? Shame it's not that Sue whatsername that appears on every other 70 s Pop Covers cover. I photographed a 1976 copy of Titbits with her on the other day when I was out digging with Fuz.

Edit: Doh! I see it's not YOU Eine that's writing it but the chap in the comments. I hope he found the cover girl anyway.
        <<Soul Strut 100>>Collectable CDs 1 Forumusic: April 2014 Collectable CDs 2<<'95 WOF>>

Comment

I'm sure it would be a corker but come on- July 2010? What sort of magnum opus is he compiling? Maybe there's a slim volume to be had out of "Smash Hits 72" but not much more. I see that is his only contribution. I'm going to email him and see what happened.
          "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
            I'm sure it would be a corker but come on- July 2010? What sort of magnum opus is he compiling? Maybe there's a slim volume to be had out of "Smash Hits 72" but not much more. I see that is his only contribution. I'm going to email him and see what happened.
            He may have had delays in finding a publisher. Anyway, if you find out let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Shere Khan View Post
              Maybe there's a slim volume to be had out of "Smash Hits 72" .
              No. It´s a massive novel, an epic bildungsroman that encompasses the roots of popular culture and encapsulates a decade.
              We start in the present with the narrator locating the lp in a charity shop, taking it home then realising that it was part of the soundtrack to his earliest childhood.
              The following chapters ,named after each song, explore pivotal events in that childhood, and are expertly interwoven with an exhaustive history of each song.
              Chapter 5 "Without You", for example, tells of the mother´s decision to abandon her young family and go and live with a hippy called Ken on a commune, splicing it with meditations on the birth of the power ballad. C6 "My Ding a Ling" concerns the fathers desperate post-separation promiscuity, and ponders on Chuck Berry´s loss of musical dignity, while C7 "Clair" relates the arrival of a small stepsister and muses on the touching subject of songs inspired by children.
              Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

I agree with babycart, there are endless possibilities, and the twelve tracks comprise a mysterious plot in themselves:

A1 Popcorn
                A2 Could It Be Forever
                A3 American Pie
                A4 Beg, Steal Or Borrow
                A5 Amazing Grace
                A6 Without You
                B1 My Ding-a-Ling
                B2 Clair
                B3 Mama Weer All Crazee Now
                B4 Puppy Love
                B5 Metal Guru
                B6 Ben
                I've written to Paul with my experiences of Smash Hits 72:

Dear Paul

Are you still writing a novel about Smash Hits 72?

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Smash...elease/1436258

I bought a copy yesterday for 33.33p in a three for £1 deal yesterday from Cancer Research in Sheffield. I'd just seen my Dad to the train station and was feeling lucky so went round a few charity shops.

I made the purchase to make up the deal and because I have a soft-spot for soundalike records and I was intrigued to see what the Smash Hits studio team would make of Popcorn, My Ding-a-Ling, Mama Weer All Crazee Now and Metal Guru.

I thought Popcorn was indistinguishable from the Hot Butter version. This disappointed me. My Ding-a-Ling is a terrible cover of a terrible song - as I'm sure you know they do all the crowd noises and try to mimic Chuck Berry's stage dialogue. This pleased me a lot. Metal Guru was dissapointing. Mama Weer All Crazee Now was a fair run through though. The sleeve is excellent, I especially like the 'breaking the fourth wall' effect as the cover star smashes through the sleeve. I've done with the album now, and will get rid of it as soon as I can.

The best thing about buying it was finding out you are writing a novel about it. This is delightful - I will definitely buy a copy and I know about ten people who would buy one too. How's the book going? What's the plot about?

Yours sincerely,

Matt
                If he writes back and forum members are amenable I will collate responses here and forward to him.
                Spirit Duplicator—collectable, charming, affordable... and also socially networked on FB / Twitter / Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by babycart View Post
                  No. It´s a massive novel, an epic bildungsroman that encompasses the roots of popular culture and encapsulates a decade.
                  We start in the present with the narrator locating the lp in a charity shop, taking it home then realising that it was part of the soundtrack to his earliest childhood.
                  The following chapters ,named after each song, explore pivotal events in that childhood, and are expertly interwoven with an exhaustive history of each song.
                  Chapter 5 "Without You", for example, tells of the mother´s decision to abandon her young family and go and live with a hippy called Ken on a commune, splicing it with meditations on the birth of the power ballad. C6 "My Ding a Ling" concerns the fathers desperate post-separation promiscuity, and ponders on Chuck Berry´s loss of musical dignity, while C7 "Clair" relates the arrival of a small stepsister and muses on the touching subject of songs inspired by children.
                  'American Pie' is about how, experimenting with his sexuality, he sticks his penis into the titular pastry.

Comment

'American Pie' is about how, experimenting with his sexuality, he sticks his penis into the titular pastry.
                    Trust you to lower the tone, GK. American Pie, of course, would focus on the parents disillusion and deal with the death of 60s ideals

'Puppy Love' is the chapter about sexual experimentation.
                    Vardy.....¡¡¡PELIGRO!!!

Comment

That's not what puppies are for.

Comment

Trust you to lower the tone, GK. American Pie, of course, would focus on the parents disillusion and deal with the death of 60s ideals

Really? I thought that chapter was the one titled 'Amazing Grace' wherein our hero falls in with a slightly older but more worldly wise woman, Grace, who makes him a man but one day moves on. This upsets him initially but he comes to realise he has gained so much from the experience.

...I'm not sure where 'Ben' comes into it though?
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by LDJB View Post
                          ...I'm not sure where 'Ben' comes into it though?
                          Ben is the sting in the tail.

Comment

That's not what puppies are for.
                            Really?

Shit.
                            Hull Music Archive

Comment

the titular pastry.
                              Good name for a group
                              "You don't want to kill the cash donkey"

Comment